Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sweet home chicago

Options
  • 17-07-2008 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

ive been playing around with sweet home chicago in standard e tuning. it sounds not bad but i see a lot of folks playing on youtune using a capo and it sounds much better.

are they using an alternate tuning or simply raising the key?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I haven't checked Youtube, but I'd guess they're just changing the key. Sweet Home Chicago is a standard 12-bar blues shuffle with an early IV chord, 'Chicago Style'. Of course you could play it in open tuning, but there's no real need unless you're playing slide. I think Robert Johnson played it in open D, although there's no definitive answer to what tunings he used - that's a whole other thing!

I don't see what using a capo has to do with using a different tuning? :confused:

I'm pretty sure Buddy Guy plays it in standard tuning, that's good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

I don't see what using a capo has to do with using a different tuning?

what i meant was that it sounds fine in standard E without a capo, that i thought if they were applying a capo, they must be tuning some strings differently to keep it sounding decent for the most part, and the capo helps in other parts.

ive made a balls of explaining that. sorry!

Advertisement