Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the most embarassing Irish musician/band around at the moment?

Options
  • 17-07-2008 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

This topic came up on a recent very drunkin nite in the pub, The usual suspects of Boyzone/Westlife were top of the list. Does anyone have any suggestions/comments on this?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

How about Steer Clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Damien Dempsey. Hands down. I think he writes his songs in crayon.

Was in HMV the other day and they had his new CD on and it was just cringeworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Paddy Casey. He clearly wrote "Saints & Sinners" on the back of a beermat after a few too many. The most facile lyrics ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

The Frames.

They're god awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Republic of Loose. Drunken muppets.

And that Michael English guy, the next Daniel O'Donnell. Lord help us!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

MikeHoncho wrote: »

Was in HMV the other day and they had his new CD on and it was just cringeworthy.

You should take a listen to Colony.

His new cd is a collection of Irish Traditional songs anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

The Thrills, Westlife, Boyzone (Grown-Man Zone), The Saw Doctors...

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dlite

Love Republic of Loose but they did a song with that muppet Sinead O'Connor

Answer: The Rastafari Priestess that is Sinead O'Connor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Actually very proud of Damien Dempsey. Colony is fantastic. I hate the over-simplistic 'The Brits done this, The brits done that' of the Wolfe Tones and the sort.... Dempsey makes the connection between kids in Dublin with no shoes in 1916, and kids in Gaza with no shoes today. He always opens that song by saying it's the political class who bring that kind of suffering on people, not ordinary British people who suffered at the hands of the same people. Young people who you hear shouting sectarian rubbish can learn from that, plenty of British people starved and were mistreated by those in power.

I've always loved singers who mix the personal and the political (Billy Bragg- Heres a song about a girl I went to school with, followed by a song about a miners strike )

Some of his earlier songs were a bit cringeworthy lyrically- but he's come on in leaps and bounds. Captures life for a lot of Dublin people now and in the past. I admit there's some of his tunes I avoid myself but :rolleyes:

Sing All Our Cares Away is a beautiful song.
    Rita's little child, has a lovely little smile,
    This means nothing to her father,
    because he's never even seen her......

The Wolfe Tones make me want to destroy my Irish passport.
    S
    H
    I
    T
    E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Aslan - bunch of no-hopers that should have been huge. Even made the front cover of NME back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Sinead O'Connor (should have been kept of "The World Is Yours")
    DoD,
    Mundy,
    BoyZone,
    Westlife,
    U2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't get the Irish tendency for embarrassment in relation to someone/something that shares the same nationality as us. I mean, do English people get embarrassed by Gareth Gates?

Anyhoo, some awful sh1t becomes successful in this country all right - that's the other end of the spectrum though: nail the fact that it's Irish to its mast and people are all over it like a rash... no matter how sh1t it is.

OP, does this have to be limited to "at the moment"? Because I think The Cranberries are one of the worst bands of all time. I think Hothouse Flowers are better than them, which is really saying something as I also think they're one of the worst bands of all time. And the easy listening stuff that comes out of this country - e.g. ballads for the Eurovision - so horrible and takes itself so seriously. Paul Harrington and the like - horrendous.

And oh yeah, Paddy Casey, Mundy, Aslan, The Frames, that lot who are always slated, but with good reason. I feel anger whenever I think about them. I like Bell X1 though - I think it's unfair to lump them in with the others.

I love Republic of Loose - they're superb and I consider them to be quite original. And I think Damien Dempsey's a great songwriter. People think he's a clown because of his accent and they presume he's not to be taken seriously, but in actual fact his lyrics are excellent. The likes of him would be considered an important, observant, political... I suppose protest singer in other countries.

Oh I forgot Mike Denver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Any of the current crop of bland singer-songwriters: Paddy Casey, Damiens Rice and Dempsey.

Anyone who's been on You're A Star (with a few exceptions)

I agree with most of what's been mentioned above. Siinead O'Connor is an embarassment to this country coz she's such a twat (which is a shame since she has a great voice) Republic of Loose are shocking - so so bad.

I don't agree with U2 or The Cranberries though - both great Irish bands imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Clare Bear wrote: »
    Republic of Loose. Drunken muppets.
    The Thrills
    Nolanger wrote: »
    Aslan

+1 to all that.

I'll stick in U2 as well. Shitebags.

Nailz wrote: »
    Sinead O'Connor (should have been kept of "The World Is Yours")
    DoD,
    Mundy,
    BoyZone,
    Westlife,
    U2.
    Ahem Xavi...

Ooh yeah I detest the Thrills.

The Sawdoctors on the other hand: I don't like their music but they're only having a bit of a laugh so let them at it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Actually very proud of Damien Dempsey. Colony is fantastic. I hate the over-simplistic 'The Brits done this, The brits done that' of the Wolfe Tones and the sort.... Dempsey makes the connection between kids in Dublin with no shoes in 1916, and kids in Gaza with no shoes today. He always opens that song by saying it's the political class who bring that kind of suffering on people, not ordinary British people who suffered at the hands of the same people. Young people who you hear shouting sectarian rubbish can learn from that, plenty of British people starved and were mistreated by those in power.

I've always loved singers who mix the personal and the political (Billy Bragg- Heres a song about a girl I went to school with, followed by a song about a miners strike )

Some of his earlier songs were a bit cringeworthy lyrically- but he's come on in leaps and bounds. Captures life for a lot of Dublin people now and in the past. I admit there's some of his tunes I avoid myself but :rolleyes:

Sing All Our Cares Away is a beautiful song.

The Wolfe Tones make me want to destroy my Irish passport.
    S
    H
    I
    T
    E

Seriously?

I think I hate him even more now.

Early U2 is quality - as in, pre 1983. You can hear it in the output of yer Interpols and Editors...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Parrish_Crooks

Republic of Loose are a bunch off fcukin clowns, and not the funny kind.

"Some of your jokes are real funny, Ya kind of remind me of Bugs Bunny"

"Thisssss is ma... this is ma comeback girl"

*shivers*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭EvolutionNights

Don’t know if they are still around but B*Witched really made a laughing stock out of the Irish music scene. I thought I seen a poster the other day for them playing some boozer. Could have been a nasty flashback though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Paddy Casey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

B*Witched
    Mundy
    The Thrills
    Damien Dempsey
    Brendan O'Connor
    Daniel O'Donnell
    Boyzone

thats all i can think of right now...

PS. EvolutionNights...B*Witched played at Rag Week in Maynooth either this year or last year, apparently the crowd were embarrased for them!!!

Don’t know if they are still around but B*Witched really made a laughing stock out of the Irish music scene. I thought I seen a poster the other day for them playing some boozer. Could have been a nasty flashback though.
    Oh yeah, B*Witched! They were so awesomely bad. The thought of them raises a smile though - because they really were a joke. Last action I heard of where they were concerned: early 2005 at the opening of a shopping centre in Cork! Hahahahahahahaha!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't get the Irish tendency for embarrassment in relation to someone/something that shares the same nationality as us. I mean, do English people get embarrassed by Gareth Gates?

I would be embarassed about any band singing come out ye black n tans or other such songs, it's from a time past and we really should move one from it. Hate only harbours and brings about more hate. I'm not saying forget your history or forget what happened but to try and keep some balance to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The status of Damien Dempsey or Kila as the boils-on-the-arse-of-Irish-music is ever-topical and unchanging for me.

lordgoat wrote: »
    I would be embarassed about any band singing come out ye black n tans or other such songs, it's from a time past and we really should move one from it. Hate only harbours and brings about more hate. I'm not saying forget your history or forget what happened but to try and keep some balance to it.
    Yeah, that's different because those muppets claim to represent the Irish people. Although I wouldn't be embarrassed by it - I'd just laugh at them. That said though, one time, a couple of my friends from England were over and they wanted to go to a trad pub so we made the mistake of bringing them to a place with a band playing skanger rebel songs for the night (it was advertised as "trad"). I was mortified, but not because I'm Irish and those knackers are Irish, it was simply because the situation was so uncomfortable and tense.
    But I wouldn't be embarrassed by any bad pop/rock act on the basis that they share my nationality - this isn't the only country that produces sh1t music. And the music doesn't actually have anything to do with nationality anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

I could say Loius Walsh, but he's not a musical act.

I would have to go for Fionn Regan- Ireland's answer to James Blunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭'Ol Jack Chance

Two words: Ritchie Kavanagh

There's one gene pool that could've done with some chlorine!

U2 and damien dempsey are good specially dempseys new stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Hothouse Flowers are worse than Westlife.

Advertisement