Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the most embarassing Irish musician/band around at the moment?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 katy brock

This topic came up on a recent very drunkin nite in the pub, The usual suspects of Boyzone/Westlife were top of the list. Does anyone have any suggestions/comments on this?!

Not really. You were right the first time.

Nolanger wrote: »
    Hothouse Flowers are worse than Westlife.

Disagree. Hothouse flowers were crap but tried to sing and play instruments. Westlife and Boyzone don`t do anything.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

katy brock wrote: »
    Disagree. Hothouse flowers were crap but tried to sing and play instruments. Westlife and Boyzone don`t do anything.

While i'm not a fan of either to say they don't do anything is just ridiculous. They are commercially unbelievably successful, they would sell out quicker than any other irish artist any number of shows. So while they might be crap they certainly do something right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'd say that's more to do with their publicists, agents, management - led by a certain Louis Walsh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Blub Blub

Samantha Mumba...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

How has Chris De Burgh not been mentioned yet?

Yet somehow U2 and Damien Dempsey are 'embarassing'...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Yeah I strongly dislike a lot of bands mentioned here such as The Thrills, Damian Dempsey and Paddy Casey, but they wouldn't be embarrassing. Now Daniel O'Donnell. Embarrassment personified, in a white suit and dodgy perma-grin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

The High Kings - what a bunch of arses - Designer Trad - that's all we need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Richie Kavanagh

Is he still around?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Westlife.

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    While i'm not a fan of either to say they don't do anything is just ridiculous. They are commercially unbelievably successful, they would sell out quicker than any other irish artist any number of shows. So while they might be crap they certainly do something right.

I know what you mean, but the thing is they don`t write any songs, don`t play any instruments, don`t own own any of the publishing or recording rights of the alleged music and are probably just paid a wage by their Manager Louis Walsh. Basically, Boyzone and Westlife are just stooges!

katy brock wrote: »
    I know what you mean, but the thing is they don`t write any songs, don`t play any instruments, don`t own own any of the publishing or recording rights of the alleged music and are probably just paid a wage by their Manager Louis Walsh. Basically, Boyzone and Westlife are just stooges!

I still would never be embarrassed by them, it's not like that type of band are unique to just ireland. A serious amount of artists don't own their music, again i don't think that's a reason to be embarrassed by them. But if that makes you blush then fair enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Johnny Logan. The man is cheesier than the burgers he flogs on his McDonalds ads.

Aslan. Ive ended up at several of their gigs by accident. Must remember my Kevlar stab vest next time :eek:

Republic of Loose, The Coronas, The Frames, basically any going nowhere band that regularly plays to crowds of adoring 19 year old UCD Arts students on weeknights in Crawdaddys.

That plonker who threw a few sour grapes around when the country voted for Dustin instead of him

Damien Rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

shane86 wrote: »
    Republic of Loose, The Coronas, The Frames, basically any going nowhere band that regularly plays to crowds of adoring 19 year old UCD Arts students on weeknights in Crawdaddys.
    Mmm, don't they normally like people who can write songs with crayons who are dubbed as 'genius'' just to look smart and safisticated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

Dudess wrote: »

The Sawdoctors on the other hand: I don't like their music but they're only having a bit of a laugh so let them at it...

I have the utmost respect for anyone who can pen a line like "get that wasp off my sandwich"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

B*Witched........cringe.

'I'll fight ye like me da'

WTF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

I "think" that should read........
    "some people say I fight like me da, they say I look like him too"

I know, scary! :D

B*Witched........cringe.

'I'll fight ye like me da'

WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nc13

Hi I only found this site and agree with a lot of posts, but at the moment I think Damine Dempsey is just taking the mick. He is covering classic songs and distroying them. He wants to be like Christy Moore and Ronnie Drew and making a balls of it. There is not the talent around Ireland now like in the late 80s and early 90s. icon8.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

While I agree that some of Damien Dempsey's songs are cringeworthy (Dublion town - wtf!), calling him an embarrassment to Ireland is ridiculous.
    Listen to "It's All Good","Great Gaols of Ireland" or "Choctaw Nation". 3 great great songs. A lot of the rubbish he fills the albums with is by request of his label for radio-friendy (****e) tracks.

Same thing with Aslan. While their following might be a bit questionable, and their drug habits out of control, they produced some amazing tracks. I'd hardly call them an embarresment to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nc13

Hi TimAy, Dempsey may be a good song writer but his attempt at singing is a joke. My 3 year old could do better. At least he can write not like Westlife and Boyzone.

• Advertisement

nc13 wrote: »
    At least he can write not like Westlife and Boyzone.

Says the person who struggles to string a sentence together!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Bijoux

Westlife.
    Most of them are from Sligo, oh the mortification!!!

Damien Dempsey grinds my gears.

If this was about all time atrocities, Daniel O' Donnell takes the biscuit.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Damien Dempsey. Hands down. I think he writes his songs in crayon.
    +1 Cant stand the mans "music"

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

I actually like Damo live...

Carol Anthony is a fricking muppet. Although she's not around any more. Apparently she's a socialite now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

I imagine being in the crowd at an Aslan gig would feel like sitting at the back of the 76b bus. In fact if you ever get on the 76b your sure to hear Crazy World being blasted from a mobile phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Don't really know how people can say they're embarrassed by say The Frames, Damien Dempsey, Damien Rice, Paddy Casey etc.. Even if you don't like their music, it hardly makes you embarassed that they're Irish and you are too.. If it does perhaps people are taking themselves too seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

lordgoat wrote: »
    I would be embarassed about any band singing come out ye black n tans or other such songs, it's from a time past and we really should move one from it. Hate only harbours and brings about more hate. I'm not saying forget your history or forget what happened but to try and keep some balance to it.

I willl destroy you.

God save ireland, cried the heroes god save ireland cried they all........up high...... on the battlefield we die...

This is so ****ing class music. go on home british soldeirs go on home have you got no ****ing homes of your own...this is legendary stuff and not some muppet like you with your little wishy washy bull**** is going to change that.

All countries have this....my father has plenty of russian/ukraine folk songs of a simular ilk.

I willl destroy you.

God save ireland, cried the heroes god save ireland cried they all........up high...... on the battlefield we die...

This is so ****ing class music. go on home british soldeirs go on home have you got no ****ing homes of your own...this is legendary stuff and not some muppet like you with your little wishy washy bull**** is going to change that.

All countries have this....my father has plenty of russian/ukraine folk songs of a simular ilk.

Destroy me? What are you going to do? Sing some little melody about being opressed for 800 years? Give me a break you tiny little boy.

You are also misguided if you for one minute think that songs like go on home british soldiers is a folk song. Oh and you do know that they have left don't you?

And yes i would be embarassed by anyone 'oirish' singing these as the haven't a fuking clue about their history and harbour some misguided idea about being patriotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

What about Daniel O' Donell, someone else mentioned it and i think he should take the biscuit.. he reminds me of that guy off father Ted.. somebody Love..? the guy that all the old ladies love... cant stand the guy, hes always on the Late Late!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

KatCookie wrote: »
    What about Daniel O' Donell, someone else mentioned it and i think he should take the biscuit.. he reminds me of that guy off father Ted.. somebody Love..? the guy that all the old ladies love... cant stand the guy, hes always on the Late Late!!

Would that be Eoin McLove who was based on Daniel O'Donnell?

Advertisement