Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the most embarassing Irish musician/band around at the moment?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Yes.. thats the one..
    i'm embarrassed to see him on TV..

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nc13

I must agree with Lordgoat, rebel songs are a bit out dated in time when we are trying to bring all cultures that live in Ireland closer together. I dont get embarrassed by singers or bands but they dont reppresent me.Sorry about the spelling!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

nc13 wrote: »
    I must agree with Lordgoat, rebel songs are a bit out dated in time when we are trying to bring all cultures that live in Ireland closer together. I dont get embarrassed by singers or bands but they dont reppresent me.

I dont agree with this. Rebel songs are very much a part of our history. While most of the fools singing them on the street after a few pints don't have the first clue about their meaning or their content, it doesn't mean the songs should be disregarded. I don't like this attitude that Ive been encountering lately where people are of the opinion that we should hide our past and our musical heritage for the sake of "unity." These are our songs and we should continue to sing them(and learn a bit more about whats behind them.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I cant help but feel embarrassed at our "singer songwriter" music scene - Damien Rice, Paddy Casey etc. Its incredibly generic and bland and mind numbingly boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Republic of loose are SH1T!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

at least they are semi-famous.. ie making it outside of ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

ZakAttak wrote: »
    I would have to go for Fionn Regan- Ireland's answer to James Blunt.

I was holding off posting because i didnt have enough hatred for any names being posted, then i saw that utter fu<king arsebag. What a loser.
    Blub Blub wrote: »
    Samantha Mumba...

Seriously.. wtf did she get anywhere? I love the story of her meeting cisco or what ever, going to marry him, moving to america to 'make it big', and the americans going "eh, wtf are you? Go home!"

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Republic of Loose UTTER GARBAGE that sweaty,rudolf nose morrisson wannabe lead singer really makes me want to take a sledgehammer to the tv or radio when a "song" of theirs comes on.:mad::mad:

Republic of Loose UTTER GARBAGE that sweaty,rudolf nose morrisson wannabe lead singer really makes me want to take a sledgehammer to the tv or radio when a "song" of theirs comes on.:mad::mad:
    You haven't seen them live have you? I don't think there is anyone that could see them live and not like them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

that aint going to happen mate:)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

fitz0 wrote: »
    I dont agree with this. Rebel songs are very much a part of our history. While most of the fools singing them on the street after a few pints don't have the first clue about their meaning or their content, it doesn't mean the songs should be disregarded. I don't like this attitude that Ive been encountering lately where people are of the opinion that we should hide our past and our musical heritage for the sake of "unity." These are our songs and we should continue to sing them(and learn a bit more about whats behind them.)

You see it is the fools singing it on the street after the pub that csaue me to be embarrassed, or the celtic jersey brigade that sang to a family from england on holidays with young children. I have never said forget about history or the past but to use these particular songs to foster serves no purpose. For examples James Conolloy is a meaning fulsong. Go on home british soldiers is not.

And in this day and age i think unity is far more important than songs. Would i gladly trade one of these songs for no more violence? Yes i certainly would.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

U2
    Wolfetones
    Sinead O'Connor (Primarily for butchering that Prince song)
    Westlife
    Boyzone
    JJ72
    Bell X1
    The Frames/Glen Hansard
    Duke Special
    The guy who sings "Galway Girl" (Mundy?)
    All these crappy indie/emo bands

Oh, special mention goes for one band I saw in town a while ago called Lines Drawing Circles. They are brutal.

U2
    Wolfetones
    Sinead O'Connor (Primarily for butchering that Prince song)
    Westlife
    Boyzone
    JJ72
    Bell X1
    The Frames/Glen Hansard
    Duke Special
    The guy who sings "Galway Girl" (Mundy?)
    All these crappy indie/emo bands

Oh, special mention goes for one band I saw in town a while ago called Lines Drawing Circles. They are brutal.
    What DO you like?:pac:

@ lordgoat. You make a good point and we all know that only very few want to see violence again but I think these songs are an integral part of our culture and history and some of them should even get airplay on the radio imo. (mainly older ones, the newer ones tend not to be as well composed)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

What DO you like?:pac:
    Well, not all music comes from Ireland.

Also, Republic of Loose and The Sensors are two Irish bands I like a lot.

Well, not all music comes from Ireland.
    :eek: Lies! Lies and misconceptions!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

Kila... pots and pans music!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Damien Dempsey. Hands down. I think he writes his songs in crayon.

Was in HMV the other day and they had his new CD on and it was just cringeworthy.

damien dempsey, easily thee most annoying of all the singer songwriters
    any one who has heard the lyrics.... "rolling down to dub-a-lin town, Comin' from the Northside, headin' Southbound The glare of the city, you can see it in the sky " woeful. Himself and George murphy!

they seem to pop up in the most unlikely places, was watching a dvd about luke kelly, and someone had the cheek to let theses two clowns comment on the great man! grrr

you could also add westlife and the frames, but damien dempsey is the most annoying for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Declan Nerney, nobody's mentioned him yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Paddy Casey makes me cringe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Dudess wrote: »
    Because I think The Cranberries are one of the worst bands of all time

Fair enough, but you're hardly embarassed by them, which was the point of the thread. And btw, I know The Cranberries made some sh1t music in their later years but 'Everybody Else Is Doing It...' is one of the best albums made by any Irish band imo.

The biggest embarassment to the country is that absolute knobend Ronan 'Thanks be to god' Keating, and his talentless bandmates. Once around was enough lads, we really didn't need take two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

I like Glen Hansard/The Frames
    I think Westlife are pretty embarrassing,and Paddy Casey...that man's ego could fill the grand canyon.

damien dempsey, easily thee most annoying of all the singer songwriters
    any one who has heard the lyrics.... "rolling down to dub-a-lin town, Comin' from the Northside, headin' Southbound The glare of the city, you can see it in the sky " woeful. Himself and George murphy!

they seem to pop up in the most unlikely places, was watching a dvd about luke kelly, and someone had the cheek to let theses two clowns comment on the great man! grrr

you could also add westlife and the frames, but damien dempsey is the most annoying for me!

Ah now George never did anyone any harm. He even did a decent cover of some of Luke's songs. Dempsey on the other hand shouldn't even be allowed buy a DVD about Luke Kelly.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

PUGWASH. Absolute SH!T. Awfully twaddling half knowing pap played by people with shockingly misjudged thoughts on the quality of their own sense of humor. And they get played! On the box?! Which means other people can see it!? Which means that somewhere down the line someone thinks that this is good/representative of me?! How? Why? I don't know...that's how embarrassment works aAAAGH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Fair enough, but you're hardly embarassed by them, which was the point of the thread. And btw, I know The Cranberries made some sh1t music in their later years but 'Everybody Else Is Doing It...' is one of the best albums made by any Irish band imo.
    No, I'm not embarrassed by anything or anyone Irish just because I share their nationality, but I'm still gonna say what Irish acts I consider to be ****, and you sir, have just identified the winner:
    that absolute knobend Ronan 'Thanks be to god' Keating
    Spot on, Aidan. Can't believe I didn't think of him. If you haven't heard his version of Fairytale of New York, you're lucky.

I have :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

ZakAttak wrote: »
    I would have to go for Fionn Regan- Ireland's answer to James Blunt.

Hah! Wait...seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

The Thrills...actually they seem to have fallen off the planet of late, result!
    HAL...see The Thrills
    Tommy Flemming....a singing carrot
    Aslan....its time to give up the ghost lads
    WasteLife/Boyzone...their very existance grossly offends me

Thankfully there seems to be a lot better Irish artists than there are bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

aidan24326 wrote: »

Might I add that I was profoundly embarrassed by the tinkerberries - even at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

Ah now George never did anyone any harm. He even did a decent cover of some of Luke's songs. Dempsey on the other hand shouldn't even be allowed buy a DVD about Luke Kelly.

true enough, i suppose that the only damage young georgie is doing to people now, is to folks in chippers, ....... "Musically" he seems to have gone the way of all other irish "talent" show contestants......Mercifully.

same cannot be said for dempsey, who seems to be everywhere these days..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I think the Blizzards are quite embarassing. Utter rubbish in my opinion

Advertisement