Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Over paid by solicitor

• 17-07-2008 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Not sure if i am posting in the correct forum but i'm hoping someone can help me out.

Myself and my partner bought a new house last year. We moved in in September and we had borrowed a little bit extra to cover some new furniture etc. When every thing was sorted from the legal side i.e all bills paid we got a cheque for what was left over from our solicitor. The check was for more or less what i had estimated give or take a hundred.

Our solicitor then contacted us in Feb of this year to say they had overpaid us by €3500. i tried to contact the solictor and got no replies to my calls. She has now recontacted us to say it was a mistake and she only overpaid us by €2000. I really can't understand how they could be so careless to 1st say it was 3500 and now only 2000. And to add to this i remortgage my old house 3 years ago and she made a mistake with that as well and actually over charged me by €750 which she refunded.

My question really is do i have to pay this back and if i do can we come to some arrangement on the repayments. My partner is currently out of work due to a car accident and i am pregnant and could be made redunant in the next month or so, so money is pretty tight at hte moment.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Fizzy Cola.

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

If they overpaid you of course you have to pay it back. It's not your money, so it would be dishonest at the very least.

Unless you can verify the figure yourself, I would ask them to explain how they overpaid you first. It doesn't sound as though they are the best at maths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You definitely have to pay it back, but as Max says, ask her for more clarification - how did it occur? Doing it once is bad enough, but doing it a second time indicates that she or someone else in her office is pretty incompetent.

If they say it's €2k now, then it might turn out to be €20 with a little investigating :)

I imagine they'd be more than happy to come to an agreement, even some form of "whenever you have the cash" one.

Advertisement