Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Wireless bb gone fro really fast to really slow?

Options
  • 17-07-2008 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi, recently (bout 10/12 days ago) got my first bb connection, its bt wirelss. Was delighted was really fast - went away for weekend last friday came back last nite and last nite and today it is really really slow. The little icon is still saying it is 54 mbps which is, I think, what it was at last week.

Any ideas on what I could do?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

O7Pat wrote: »
    Hi, recently (bout 10/12 days ago) got my first bb connection, its bt wirelss. Was delighted was really fast - went away for weekend last friday came back last nite and last nite and today it is really really slow. The little icon is still saying it is 54 mbps which is, I think, what it was at last week.

Any ideas on what I could do?

Well you have to be systematic in attempting to diagnose the problem.

And just to be pedantic you dont have BT wireless. You have BT dsl which means you receive your signal over your phone line and you then have a wireless signal within your house. Its important to make the distinction as the first step is to see what speed you are getting from the router. Plug your laptop or pc by cable into the router and see what speed that gives you.

The little icon just tells you what speed your computer is communicating with the laptop or pc at - it has nothing to do with the speed of your broadband.

So check what speed you are getting when wired to the router/modem and post again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭O7Pat

Thanks for that. Is it the little icon (green bars) that I am supose to be looking at? it is at same speed when with a cable. Pretty sure u menat something else though?

Either way it seems to be back working fine today;
    still would like to get to bottom of so it doesn't happen again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

O7Pat wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Is it the little icon (green bars) that I am supose to be looking at? it is at same speed when with a cable. Pretty sure u menat something else though?

Either way it seems to be back working fine today;
    still would like to get to bottom of so it doesn't happen again.

The little icon will only tell you the speed between your computer and the router. You need to establish what speed you are getting on your actual connection to the net. Go to www.irishisptest.com and do the test there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭lau1247

this is just a suggestion but I might be wrong..

Is your wireless unsecure (i.e not password protected), which means someone is piggybacking on your wireless..

According to some provider, they have this fairplay policy where if you're a heavy user, even though you have sign up to a fast connection, they will limit down you during peak time.. So if someone is piggybacking on yours then this might be the case..

Just a thought

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Advertisement