Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do people not Indicate?

Options
  • 17-07-2008 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

It really grinds my gears. How hard is it to do? :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Well as my Dad said when I was learning to drive years ago...

"Don't indicate so much, you'll wear out the bulb" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,900 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

sometimes I just plain forget to indicate. Not sure why. Other times I indicate when there is no need out of habbit (such as the half roundabout at the Firhouse (i think) exit on the M50. I can't actually go right, but i still indicate left....

Generally I do try to indicate early and accurately though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

WindSock wrote: »
    Why do people not Indicate?

Because they'd have to hang up the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Putting on blusher and indicating is not easy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

topnutz wrote: »
    Because they'd have to hang up the phone

And, God forbid, because it might actually give people some warning of what they're about to do, thereby running the risk that a car might actually get out in front of them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Is it not supposed to be Turn, brake then signal?:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's a well known design flaw on some marques, they just never work...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

To be honest this is somehting that really grinds my gears too. People especially don't know how to indicate properly on roundabouts. I dont know how many times i've been cut off by people and nearly crashing into the back/side of them!

I am so close to putting a sledge hammer in the boot of my car to seriously doing damage to the next gob sh*te who does it to me. It happens about 3 times a day!!!!

I have to say the highest offenders are:

#1 Women drivers
    #2 Old drivers
    #3 Merc, BMW and Golf drivers (these guys think they own the road more than taxis do)
    #4 Muppet boy racers

The rules are very simple to follow and it amazes me how people can't follow them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Why? Because most people on the roads are stupid and/or selfish c*nts with no thought for anything that goes on around them...people don't seem to realise that if we all played ball on the roads and made our intentions clear to other road users, that we'd have a lot less congestion, a lot better traffic flow and fewer minor collisions...

To be honest this is somehting that really grinds my gears too. People especially don't know how to indicate properly on roundabouts. I dont know how many times i've been cut off by people and nearly crashing into the back/side of them!

Well to be honest, you really can't place any faith in indicators. All an indicator tells you for certain is that the circuit and the bulb is working. Just because someone has an indicator on doesn't mean anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

It's a particular problem on roundabouts because such a huge amount of people don't know how to use roundabouts in the first place.

Tried to explain it to someone on a different site before and got jumped on by about 10 people telling me I was wrong. It then turned out that they didn't know which was the inside and which was the outside lane...

That's the kind of mentality you're dealing with on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

dudara wrote: »
    All an indicator tells you for certain is that the circuit and the bulb is working. Just because someone has an indicator on doesn't mean anything.

that's exactly what my instructor told me all those years ago. "its a signal of intent"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Wertz wrote: »
    Why? Because most people on the roads are stupid and/or selfish c*nts with no thought for anything that goes on around them...people don't seem to realise that if we all played ball on the roads and made our intentions clear to other road users, that we'd have a lot less congestion, a lot better traffic flow and fewer minor collisions...

QFT.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

WindSock wrote: »
    It really grinds my gears. How hard is it to do? :mad:

I have to admit it annoys the hell out of me too, especially at busy roundabouts where the only chance you have to safely enter is if someone is exiting at the previous exit. More often than not you yield expecting them to come around and lose your chance.

Another personal 'favourite' of mine is drivers who stop in the right hand lane at a junction that is marked for ahead or right turn and not indicate that they are turning right until after the lights have turned green - muppets. If they'd indicate on approach like they are supposed to, they'd avoid a queue of traffic forming behind of drivers wanting to go straight ahead.

OP, thanks for allowing me to rant on this one :-)

dade wrote: »
    that's exactly what my instructor told me all those years ago. "its a signal of intent"

I've drove behind people for 12/15 minutes wondering where they're actually intending to turn....

Well to be honest, you really can't place any faith in indicators. All an indicator tells you for certain is that the circuit and the bulb is working. Just because someone has an indicator on doesn't mean anything.

thats complete nonsense, there are rules set for people safety you obviously don't know them or don't obide by them.

fool

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Its one thing where someone doesn't use their indicator, and another when they indicate and change their mind at the last second. I usually hang back 2 or 3 car lengths at junctions and roundabouts because of this. They should have a point system for people not correctly using their indicators, act the muppet and reset your test. /me hides from flak :o

Edit: I agree with dade also.

thats complete nonsense, there are rules set for people safety you obviously don't know them or don't obide by them.

fool

huh?

What if it was left on? it's indicating right

mr hard char here pulls out and *BANG* ops...well he had his indicator on...

got to agree here lads about giving the car infront of you space. I always go it after having a serious smash due to some tool changing lanes and not indicating so I have a very personal gripe over not indicating.

but hey if our laws let people fail their tests and still drive then its down to the system not the people!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ching9000

People especially don't know how to indicate properly on roundabouts.

Oh jesus, dont get me started on round-a-bouts!!! :mad::mad::mad:

We could start a whole new thread on the total ineptness of Irish drivers in regards to using round-a-bouts!

• Advertisement

ching9000 wrote: »
    Oh jesus, dont get me started on round-a-bouts!!! :mad::mad::mad:

We could start a whole new thread on the total ineptness of Irish drivers in regards to using round-a-bouts!

DO IT rant away i bet this thread could easily hit 100,000 posts on the subject

fool

Of course there are rules, it doesn't mean that people obey them.

The fact that someone has an indicator on doesn't 100% guarantee that they are going to follow through with the signalled intention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Because the general road knowledge of people is terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

i was nearly in an incident with a X5 just last week - if i had believed the indicator. I had 4 other people in the car waiting at a T junction turning right. X5 comes down the road with left indicator on and appeared to be slowing down - i thought oh she is pulling in to the junction here but just as i was about to pull out i stopped a waited to see if she was really gonna pull into the junction - she drove straight past it and pulled into the petrol station just beyond the junction.

I also am under the impression that a active indicator is just an indication that the bulb is working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

People don't indicate because they don't know how to, most road users haven't a clue how to drive when there's more then one lane and approaching roundabouts. I had a handy thing on my last car that just involved giving the indicator stick a little nudge and it would flash for about 4 seconds then turn itself off, should be on every car. Great for changing lanes and exiting roundabouts. As a poster said, indicators are a signal of intent, they don't grant you right of way.

Lets say you're in a carpark at the exit turning right, a car comes towards you from your right and is indicating to turn into the same carpark, you pull out and he hits you because he never realised he left his indicator on, guess who's fault it is?? Not the guy who was indicating and forgot, nope, you are turning from a minor road onto a major road so you have to give way.

Again I have to blame the Gardai, mobile phone use - blatent, speeding - shocking, provisional licence holders who've spent the past 6 months caking themselves are now laughing their heads off.

Now show a Garda an empty bus lane and they swarm to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

The fact that someone has an indicator on doesn't 100% guarantee that they are going to follow through with the signalled intention.

No but their amber flashers observed in tandem with road position and speed and/or evidence of braking should form a clear picture of intention to observant drivers.
    I'd never pull out in front of someone indicating for a turn at a junction, if the "body language" of the vehicle was giving me the impression they weren't going to actually make the turn.

People have already mentioned roundabout indication and it can be difficult to read other driver's intentions in such a small area of road at relatively low speeds...but that signal of intent can be enough for you to ready your vehicle for take off (that can still be aborted if the indication signal was a mistake) and in the long run makes for better flow through roundabouts. I use my indicators even in the early hours of the morning with no other vehicle near me, through force of habit...it's unforgivable that a majority of road users can't do it during peak times when roads are busy.

Whilst roundabouts annoy me, nothing gets me more the T-junction scenario where I need to make a right turn, across two lanes of traffic...if idiots coming from my right would signal their intention a 100m or so back down the road, I could perhaps make use of the space that I could possibly count on opening up when that car turns off, look to my left and see if there is a similar gap in traffic from that direction and get to pull away...instead what I mostly get is people either not indicating at all or people who leave it till they're about 10m from their turn and already visibly under braking and changing road position slightly...I make it a point to signal my intention to make a turn as early as possible, both for the good of the tailgater behind me and for the driver tring to exit at the T-junction I'm turning off at so that they may be able to pull out safely...this isn't rocket science, it's simple biblical stuff; do unto others as you would have done unto you...

[edit] Joesully's post is an interesting one...in that scenario where there is an adjacent turn off to the one you're waiting at, the driver should be aware of it and act accordingly (not saying that he didn't here) allowing for the posibilit that the approaching vehicle might be going to take the later turn...I also believe that the X5 driver (someone in an X5 indicated? kodak moment!) should have left their indicating until a good bit later...in that situation that regulalry occurs for me at a local filling station, I don't indicate until I'm right at the T-junction and about 10m from the filling station exit/entrance...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I thought that indicator bulbs were optional extras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

It is definitely a indication of intent rather than action. The majority of people that do actually use their indicators think it gives them the right to preform the the action rather waiting for permission from fellow motorists.

Pure ignorance as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

fool

Huh?

consider yourself warned ...no personal abuse, ok

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You mean to tell me you still have not gotten your telepathic abilities to read other car users thoughts???

Advertisement