Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do people not Indicate?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I thought that indicator bulbs were optional extras.

Only on motorbike's afaik..

but I think most drivers think the indicator lever is an optional extra..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

jonny24ie wrote: »
    You mean to tell me you still have not gotten your telepathic abilities to read other car users thoughts???

You only get that power if you purchase a 4x4, then it doesn't matter what they're doing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

ntlbell wrote: »
    Only on motorbike's afaik..

but I think most drivers think the indicator lever is an optional extra..

Thats right, by law motorbikes in Ireland do not have to have indicators or mirrors. But if you do have them they have to work.

When sitting your test for a full motorbike licence you may be asked to perform indication signals with your arms to substitute not having indicators on your bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I think the fact that on most cars the indicator stalk is on the ergonomically wrong (the left) side might have something to do with it as well.

How can you indicate properly when your left hand is at the gear lever?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

WindSock wrote: »
    It really grinds my gears. How hard is it to do? :mad:
    The flick of a switch?

People actually using them properly is another story. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Roundabouts are a pain alright, but that's another discussion altogether.

I don't know how many times I've been waiting at junctions or roundabouts waiting to get out and I see cars coming and they have no indicators on and you end up waiting to see what they are going to do, then miss your chance to get out as you thought they were going to obstruct you, but instead they take a different exit/turn.

But as someone else pointed out, a flashing indicator is just proof that the bulb is working and not the intent of the driver. Sure I've seen people driving down main roads for a quarter of a mile and one of their indicators left on the whole time, then they realise and switch it off and don't turn off the road.

Sure what can you do. In the end you just have to air on the side of caution and wait for a big enough gap to get out then it won't matter if the muppet is using their indicators correctly, or not. Unfortunately in this day and age, that usually means a 10 minute wait at the junction :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, two reasons

1 They are unsure how to use them and would rather not use them than look the fool for misusing them

2 They are in a world of their own, blissfully unaware that anything exists outside of their cocoon.

I think number 2 is more common.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

got to agree here lads about giving the car infront of you space. I always go it after having a serious smash due to some tool changing lanes and not indicating so I have a very personal gripe over not indicating.

but hey if our laws let people fail their tests and still drive then its down to the system not the people!

I think you'll find it's more fully licensed drivers guilty of this than otherwise, spend an hour at a busy roundabout some evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

peasant wrote: »
    I think the fact that on most cars the indicator stalk is on the ergonomically wrong (the left) side might have something to do with it as well.

Your left hand is not supposed to be at the gear lever unless your changing gears, it's supposed to be two hands on the steering wheel at all times otherwise.

In all fairness it ain't that hard to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭dh2007

don't get me started on the roundabouts! :mad::mad:
    I live in Roundabout Central and I'm constantly thinking people are going to stay on the roundabout cos they haven't indicated and then they turn on thus causing you to miss your turn. GRRR!

Some people just don't know HOW to indicate either. I don't know how many times I've seen people indicating right as if to signal they're taking the next exit! Thickos!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Seriously?
    How about either indicating before you change down gears or where applicable, just after you've changed down...most the time when changing down I'm doing it a couple of tens of metres before the turn...my indicator should have been on for some time before that...
    I'm coming up on my 2 yr anniversary of first learning to drive and this has never been a problem for me...indicating should be a conditioned response, shouldn't even need to be given a lot of thought...like someone else said, it's only a flick of the wrist...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Wertz wrote: »
    Seriously?
    How about either indicating before you change down gears or where applicable, just after you've changed down...most the time when changing down I'm doing it a couple of tens of metres before the turn...my indicator should have been on for some time before that...
    I'm coming up on my 2 yr anniversary of first learning to drive and this has never been a problem for me...indicating should be a conditioned response, shouldn't even need to be given a lot of thought...like someone else said, it's only a flick of the wrist...

I'm not saying that it is the only reason, but I'm convinced it plays a part.

I've driven cars with indicators both in the correct and in the wrong postition.

Indicating when your next maneuvre is a planned one isn't really an issue, no matter where your indicator stalk is positioned. As you say ...you just fit the indicating in with your gear changes.

It's a different picture however if you find yourself in unfamiliar surroundings where you can't plan ahead or where the plan has to change suddenly, for whatever reason.
    If your indicator is positioned correctly, all it needs is the flick of a finger of the hand that is on the steering wheel anyway ...if it's on the wrong side, your hand may be busy shifting gear and indicating falls by the wayside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

I remember having a close shave with a bus. He was pulled in letting people off with his indicator flashing right as if he was about to drive away. He took off as I was about half way passed the bus and roared at me out the window as I went by. He insisted he had right of way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

nipplenuts wrote: »
    OP, two reasons

1 They are unsure how to use them and would rather not use them than look the fool for misusing them

2 They are in a world of their own, blissfully unaware that anything exists outside of their cocoon.

I think number 2 is more common.

I'd add:-

3 Many modern, thrusting, getahead Irish people are far too busy and important to let other people know what they plan to do.

And on a serious note - a surprisingly large number of people genuinely can't tell their right from their left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

And on a serious note - a surprisingly large number of people genuinely can't tell their right from their left.

That's true, but it shouldn't affect their ability to indicate - they still know which direction they're planning on travelling, in even if they have difficulty remembering what it's actually called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'm not saying that it is the only reason, but I'm convinced it plays a part.

I've driven cars with indicators both in the correct and in the wrong postition.

Indicating when your next maneuvre is a planned one isn't really an issue, no matter where your indicator stalk is positioned. As you say ...you just fit the indicating in with your gear changes.

It's a different picture however if you find yourself in unfamiliar surroundings where you can't plan ahead or where the plan has to change suddenly, for whatever reason.
    If your indicator is positioned correctly, all it needs is the flick of a finger of the hand that is on the steering wheel anyway ...if it's on the wrong side, your hand may be busy shifting gear and indicating falls by the wayside.

Alright that's a fair point...I don't know how I'd get on if the stalk were to the right of the wheel tbh and I know I'd have a lot of trouble adjusting to having a gearstick on my right.
    Unfamiliar surroundings can catch you out...especiallly looking for a particular spot or turn off on a strange road...but I reckon for a lot of the time most drivers on the road are doing a regular or at least familiar route...I'd be of the opinon that that familiarity breeds contempt and those drivers think they don't need to bother indicating, because it's what they do every day.
    Throw a mobile conversation or a can of mineral into the equation and indicating just becomes a chore or an afterthought (people who indicate after they've changed lanes on a motorway lol)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Poor training and they generally don't give a F**k!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

What annoys me is the people who clearly haven't learned how to get off a duel-carriageway when turning into a petrol station or estate etc. Instead of using the off-ramp lane, painted and designated for exactly their purpose, they instead come to a gradual and almost dead stop in the inside lane before turning off at the very last minute - at a 90 degree angle. And often no indicators.

No coordination, no thought, and it's something I see every single day on the N11. Someday I'm just not going to bother braking - that's how angry it gets me.

I think the people that don't indicate are very cool people, and someday I can only hope that I will be as cool as they are. I'd love to hear what they are thinking, 'time to change lane... here we go, here we go, HERE WE GO and BOOM! Did anyone see how cool I looked doing that? Ohhhh yehhhhhhhhh...' It's always those guys who drive with one hand resting on the top of the steering wheel, their right arm and shoulder raised in the air - for that even extra-cooler look.

Well, to me, they are the driving equivalent of Sean Bean's character in Ronin. Weiners.

Glad I got that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I have noticed that the Gardai are not that reliable at indicating too especially on roundabouts

Advertisement