Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat Diesel or Corolla Diesel

Options
  • 17-07-2008 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Am moving out of the city so am gonna be doing a round trip of 80 miles a day now. I don't think my 12 year old civic will be able to handle the trauma of it all so time to look for a new automobile. Am debating between a 02-03 Passat 1.9 TDI or a 05 1.4 Corolla D-4D. I want a comfortable drive but I also want economy. I am going to be doing around 60 of the 80 miles on motorway/dual carrage way. My main issue I suppose is fuel consumption, is there a major difference between the fuel consumption in the two cars?? I know there would be 5k plus in the difference of the price to buy but if the corolla was alot more economical it might be worth paying the extra now rather than spiralling fuel costs in the future??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I do 100 miles a day in a 01 passat.
    60 litre tank
    600 miles to the tank
    costs about €85 to fill.

I've no idea about the corrolla

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

You're really comparing cars from 2 different classes/sizes. Ultra conservative choices too.

However the Toyota should be much better for economy and general relibility.

Alternatively a Mazda 3 diesel would fit the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the simple question is,

Do you want air conditioning?

you'll find it hard to find a Corolla with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the simple question is,

Do you want air conditioning?

you'll find it hard to find a Corolla with it.
    Really? I doubt it's standard on the Passat either?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Air con will add to your fuel bills do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

I had a 1.4D4D Corolla for 4 weeks while I was in between Mondeos.

The Corolla mpg is over stated. I got 55mpg on mixed driving including motorway. The dash reads 70mpg but the fill at the pump tells the truth. You will not find a Corolla diesel with air-con easily.

The seats in the Corrolla are terrible. No lumbar support and my back was sore after a long journey. Boot is tiny.

It is known to be reliable though.

The passat is nice in the comfortline spec which has climate control. Work colleague has 06 1.9tdi one and has had a few minor niggles which were all sorted under warranty. Passanger window not working (motor), blown turbo, electric handbrake not engaging fully. Boot is huge.

You are not comparing like with like. Very differnt class of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Got to drive a corolla van 1.4 D4D about 30 miles and i thought it was a little rocket of a yoke. Nice car to drive. I know some who has a new model corolla with air con, but i think it's the top of the range.

I'd never turn down a 1.9 tdi Passat over a corolla though. Go for the comfortline or highline if possilbe, and get it checked out, alot of them are English imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

JHMEG wrote: »
    Really? I doubt it's standard on the Passat either?

It'll be on many 01 diesel Passats, a significant number will be UK imports.
    Luna models were ultra scarce when the D-4D was launched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Damien360 wrote: »
    had a few minor niggles .... blown turbo

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It'll be on many 01 diesel Passats, a significant number will be UK imports.
    True, and lots will have had haircuts, so plenty of "low mileage" ones to choose from.

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    True, and lots will have had haircuts, so plenty of "low mileage" ones to choose from.

Aye haha hence get it checked out. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭rebellad

Went for the Passat in the end. Got a 2002 130 BHP TDI.

rebellad wrote: »
    Went for the Passat in the end. Got a 2002 130 BHP TDI.

Any pics?:D

Advertisement