Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

furious gay man!

Options
  • 17-07-2008 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

ì am sooo annoyed right now ppl. i think it is an absolute disgrace about the whole gay marriage thing-

there are a load of fianna fail TD's now campaigning against even civil partnership because we shouldn't have the same "special status" that heterosexuals receive- what is it with tradition that everyone wants- nothing is traditional nowadays and its a total disgrace! the government are'nt really wanting it to be legal and it really is atrocious that they can advertise civil rights etc when they wont give the same rights to everyone! what is it of their business anyway!?!?!? me getting married to another man isn't going to affect them anyway! its about time we got out of the dark ages and became as liberal as the rest of europe!

that is all- sorry i just felt like a rant !

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/0627/1214516624201.html

how can they expect others to accept us when they cant do it themselves-

please comment as you wish! :mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

FFS... :mad:
    In this day and age, this is absolutely ridiculous!!!! My family and my partners have been following this very closely and I must say that in all my years it is not until NOW that I feel discriminated against. I hope there will be sometime of official response from the gay community to this? I for one would be willing to travel to support any organised voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

What's the big deal?

Its not exactly unexpected that conservative politicians would seek to use to the demographic system for their own (and their constituents) views, as is their right.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Weren't their objections denied and the whole motion is being pressed forward? Their arguments were seen as groundless as the civil union is said not to invalidate marriage, as it's defined by some folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

A lot of people really can't see the wood from the trees in relation to the politics around liberal issues like gay marriage.

The fact is that older people vote in much greater numbers than the younger generations. Most (most, not all) elderly people would have no truck with gay rights and a senator looking to raise his profile ahead of an election which may see his party's TD's wiped out, is simply being opportunistic. And anyone who thinks there is no homophobia in the youth of Ireland is deluded.

There's way too much fury on these boards these days!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Ah its Ireland

If our Policitians dont moan about stuff like this, what else is there for them to do? run our country properly? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Haha, this is good. Subtle humour, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That story is from three weeks ago, its been covered on here, the politicians in question are ignoring all attempts to contact them on the issue and the Cabinet has said they're going to ignore those politicians. Its mostly Senators anyway - utterly powerless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭david_the_great

What's the big deal?

Its not exactly unexpected that conservative politicians would seek to use to the demographic system for their own (and their constituents) views, as is their right.

i understand that they have their own opinion etc- but i dnt think that they should use their own opinions rsther than what they think is right for the people to sabotage others rights-

yeah i agree- and what i dont undresrtand is that all they have to do is add a few words to a law already given to male-female relationships and they can focus on the next issue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I myself am straight but i don't have a problem with gay marriage. One of my sister's best friends is gay, and a nicer guy you will not meet. If two people love each other, then they should be allowed to profess their love for one another in a legal manner. Gay marriage will not harm anybody, save the pride of few old fashionista's. Traditionalists have always been afraid of the unknown, they like to preserve the status quo - its the way they were raised. But they are going to have to come into the 21st century sometime, and will have to change and adapt to todays society, one where the gay community should be treated on a par with straight folk.

I also do not have a problem with gay couples wanting to adopt/rare children. Once a child is loved and cared for, what does it matter if he/she had two dads or two mums? It may not be orthodox, but that is not to say it cannot be a good thing. There are many straight couples out there who ''rare'' children and do a pretty bad job; why not let gay couples who would make great parents have their chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I am gay and im all for civil partnership but why gay marriage since it is a recognition by the catholic church... isn't that contradictory. Ok, certain gay men and women are catholics but does that really matter. i'll be happy enough with civil partnership and don't really mind about adoption because i couldn't afford kids and i can hardly look after myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭aaronquigley

MYOB wrote: »
    That story is from three weeks ago, its been covered on here, the politicians in question are ignoring all attempts to contact them on the issue and the Cabinet has said they're going to ignore those politicians. Its mostly Senators anyway - utterly powerless.

Hi,
    I posted on this when it first came up. I mentioned I emailed various senators and my local TDs. To my surprise a number of them emailed me back on the issue, including Seantor Walsh the next day. :)

I think it's important that anyone interested in this legislation make their voices heard (including visiting their TDs etc.).

Others from inside and outside FF but in government who replied included:

Ciarán Cuffe - Green Party Spokesperson for Justice, Equality & Law Reform
    Jim Walsh
    Terry Leyden - Government Frontbench Spokesperson on European Affairs and Member of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe
    Geraldine Feeney
    Cyprian Brady T.D

Some quotes from their emails:
    "The Civil Partnerships Bill is a Green Party priority in Government. From Brian Cowen's comments over the weekend, it is also clear that senior figures in FF are committed to Civil Partnership. "

"Thank you for your recent email in relation to the Civil Partnership Bill.
    As you are probably aware a motion on the published heads of the Bill was
    debated last night at the Fianna Fail Parliamentary Party meeting. I was
    not one of the party members sponsoring the Bill but I can assure you that
    the motion was not overly opposed to the Bill in question and I have no
    doubt that the Bill will receive general approval and will become law in
    due course."

"Thanks for your corresponsdence in relation to the Civil Partnership Bill. As you may be aware there was a full and frank discussion at our Parliamentary Party, and on the 24th of June this year, Minister Dermot Ahern announced that the Government approved the Heads of a Civil Partnership Bill, and detailed provisions of the Bill will now be drafted by the Office of the Attorney General. "

"The Government are committed to bringing this legislation before the Houses of the Oireachtas later this year, or early next year. Rest assured that there is widespread support for this Bill amongst my colleagues in the Fianna Fáil Parliamentary Party. I look forward to supporting and debating the safe passage of this long awaited piece of legislation, when it comes before the Seanad. "

Aaron.

Which was Jim Walsh's response?

He didn't respond to me, or anyone else I know. Nor did Mary White (senator, FF not TD, green) after her grossly stupid statement...

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I am gay and im all for civil partnership but why gay marriage since it is a recognition by the catholic church... isn't that contradictory. Ok, certain gay men and women are catholics but does that really matter. i'll be happy enough with civil partnership and don't really mind about adoption because i couldn't afford kids and i can hardly look after myself.

Marriage has nothing to do with the Catholic, or any, church. Never heard of a registry office?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I am gay and im all for civil partnership but why gay marriage since it is a recognition by the catholic church... .

No - people looking for civil marriage are not looking for church recognition just state recognition of their marriage in a registry office

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭david_the_great

Hi,
    I posted on this when it first came up. I mentioned I emailed various senators and my local TDs. To my surprise a number of them emailed me back on the issue, including Seantor Walsh the next day. :)

I think it's important that anyone interested in this legislation make their voices heard (including visiting their TDs etc.).

Others from inside and outside FF but in government who replied included:

Ciarán Cuffe - Green Party Spokesperson for Justice, Equality & Law Reform
    Jim Walsh
    Terry Leyden - Government Frontbench Spokesperson on European Affairs and Member of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe
    Geraldine Feeney
    Cyprian Brady T.D

Some quotes from their emails:
    "The Civil Partnerships Bill is a Green Party priority in Government. From Brian Cowen's comments over the weekend, it is also clear that senior figures in FF are committed to Civil Partnership. "

"Thank you for your recent email in relation to the Civil Partnership Bill.
    As you are probably aware a motion on the published heads of the Bill was
    debated last night at the Fianna Fail Parliamentary Party meeting. I was
    not one of the party members sponsoring the Bill but I can assure you that
    the motion was not overly opposed to the Bill in question and I have no
    doubt that the Bill will receive general approval and will become law in
    due course."

"Thanks for your corresponsdence in relation to the Civil Partnership Bill. As you may be aware there was a full and frank discussion at our Parliamentary Party, and on the 24th of June this year, Minister Dermot Ahern announced that the Government approved the Heads of a Civil Partnership Bill, and detailed provisions of the Bill will now be drafted by the Office of the Attorney General. "

"The Government are committed to bringing this legislation before the Houses of the Oireachtas later this year, or early next year. Rest assured that there is widespread support for this Bill amongst my colleagues in the Fianna Fáil Parliamentary Party. I look forward to supporting and debating the safe passage of this long awaited piece of legislation, when it comes before the Seanad. "

Aaron.

i too have e-mailed various TD's and i have had no reply- the last one i sent was so angry because of the lack of reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

i too have e-mailed various TD's and i have had no reply- the last one i sent was so angry because of the lack of reply!

I have written numerous emails to TD's and as yet no reply!!!?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

So why aren't the government offering (well at least your/the main theories) marriage for homosexuals?

Would it require consitutional change? Would it allow for gay adoption? I'm guessing these have something to do with it

Advertisement