Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shiba inu with bowel problems

Options
  • 17-07-2008 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi,
    I have a 5 month old Shiba Inu who has been passing soft stools for nearly three months now, sometimes it is just runny, others its like water and now and again it gets better, he's been to the vet 5 times over this problem and nothing seems to be working, the first time they just gave him anti biotics and we changed his food but it only fixed it for a week, the third time the vet said his anal glands were swollen ( sorry for the detail ) and he got injections and anti inflammatorys but again this didnt work, now the vets have told us to play on his diet but we've tried everything with no luck.:confused: Hes not dehydrated and besides this problem not ill at all, in fact a huge appitite and loads of energy, has anybody had this problem? I'm worried it will eventually make him ill. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Have you had him tested for Giardia?

What do you feed him on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Pumpkin is fantastic for firming up stools but can be nigh-on impossible to get here out of season.

A tablespoon of natural yoghurt daily can also help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Louise-88

No to be compleatly honest I've never heard of giardia, what is it? They havnt given him any blood tests or anything i think there trying to rule out the food first but maybe its time i asked for blood tests to be done since we've changed food a few times now, hes on beta at the moment, hes the best hes been on this food even though its not compleatly solving the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Have you had him tested for Giardia?

What do you feed him on?

At this stage after antibiotics and diet change your vet should now be in laboratory diagnostics now...giardia,pancreatic enzymes (TLI; B12,folate and elastase for pancreatic insufficiency) and a full blood panel! Giardia isnt actually a common intestinal parasite (a stool sample is analysed) but if present does cause diarrohea and weight loss. Loose stools isnt normal as everyone knows so back to the vet and insist on further tests!

The diet to have him on is a low fat,digestible one e.g chicken/lamb & rice type...if it hasnt improved on that in less than 3 weeks there is something else going on.

The diet hes on now is a lamb and rice type and the vet did mention to try get a food with maybe fish in it but were finding it hard to find a fish based food for pups, he will be brought back to the vet for more tests, i'm mainly looking for suggestions of if theres anything i can be doing at home to help improve him aswel, unfortuatly i think the vets resistance is the fact other than the loose stools he's not showing any distress, good temp no weight loss and loads of energy but i will insist on it :D

• Advertisement

After 3 months and on one of the most palatable and digestible diets (lamb and rice) there has to be something else going on no?

Thats what were trying to figure out, the vets are insisting its food and were bringing him back to be checked time and time again ( 5 vet visits in 3 months and phone calls ) but both ourselves and the vets are stumped, :confused:thats why i was hoping somebody had a similar problem and could help shed some light while were investigating it

The reason i suggested the lab tests above is because thats my job. I get samples on a daily basis from similar cases; history of prolonged diarrohea that diet hasnt fixed, although its generally also accompanied by weight loss and a large appetite. After this length of time i really do think your vet should be taking both blood and stool samples to be analysed.Mention the lab tests i said above to the vet and see what they say!

Hes due to go back next week so i'll make sure they take them steps now, your right its about time they done something other than tell us its his food!! Hopefully its something simple we can resolve, its strange hes not loosing weight and he doesnt seem uncomfortable when hes passing them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 jenjo23

Louise-88 wrote: »
    The diet hes on now is a lamb and rice type and the vet did mention to try get a food with maybe fish in it but were finding it hard to find a fish based food for pups

I have James Well Beloved White Ocean fish for my pup, don't know if that's what you'd be looking for.

I think at this stage, go back to the vet and ask for them to do some tests. If you were sick and going to the docs and weren't happy with their diagnosis you'd insist they'd do some tests.

• Advertisement

He's already booked in for next week to go back so i'll mention the tests then. As i said in a previous post i think the vets wanted to see if it was the food since hes not in distress but i'll be pushing futher tests next week, dont worry hes not been left there to deal with it, were trying our hardest to figure out whats up with him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I would go for the tests, I'm surprised they haven't at least tested for Giardia, it's not a common parasite, but it's more common than you'd think. Id' say a lot more dogs actually carry it but are never tested for it.

If he tests clear then maybe look at changing the food to one that is hypo allergenic. Beta has BHA and BHT in it and really isn't a great food. I do know a couple of people who have found Nutro Sensitive Chicken and Rice the only thing for this sort of problem. But I'm sure there are other foods that could do the trick too. Remember though you will need to give them at least a month to really see if there is a change - unless of course you get a really horrendous reaction. Also make sure that you do any changing of diet very gradually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I'd defenitely agree with all the other posters that it's a good idea to rule out any diseases with blood tests / stool samples first.

If nothing turns up there, it could be he's a particularly senstive dog. Husse do a Lax and Ris food (Salmon and Rice) and deliver to the door. You can request a free sample of it from there website, and buy a couple of the 1kg samples bags for €4 to see if it agrees with him for about 3 weeks.

My friend grooms a dog that's allergic to gulten, rice, and lactose- so her owner couldn't find any dry foods for her in Ireland. I found a good few on www.zooplus.ie :

Exclusion
    Luposan
    ORIJEN - they do a puppy formula as well

The exclusion is pricey, but it may be the best if you are finding that even with the lack of rice/gulten/lactose he is still getting ill. It could be a meat sensitvity too.

It looks like it's a common problem for Shiba's to suffer food allergies - perhaps this link may help? http://shibainu.meetup.com/boards/thread/4973264

Best of luck getting your dog better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jazz46

hi Louise I have a 10 month old shia inu and just came accross your post. he has the exact same problem, we been to the vets several times and even tried putting him on a laxative, but I wasn't happy about using it. Is your dog still having problems?

he is on the mend now, we changed vets and she has tested his stools and he has IBD, she said it is very common for rare breeds to have this or be prone to allergies as theres so few of them its easily inherited. he is on a perscription diet now that basically doesnt have anything that store bought foods have as his belly cant handle most ingredients, i will get the name because I cant remember right now

Advertisement