Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Living in Kildare - can I apply for Learner Permit in Dublin?

Options
  • 17-07-2008 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Would appreciate any help people could give re my query.

Have test on 5 Aug. Have just noticed provisional is out on 27 July so was going to throw myself on the mercy of the Motor Tax office and hope they would give me a new licence on the spot. I live in Kildare and my last provisional was issued by Kildare Co Co. As I would have to drive on my own to Co Co and dont want to break the law, was thinking of applying in Dublin where I work. Is this possible? Also I have no letter confirming my test date, just a text, is this sufficient to show to them?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They won't give you one on the spot in Dublin but if you go to the motortax office with everything you need they have the new licence out to you fairly quickly,my last one took 4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭J-B

thanks Moonbeam, I went down today with all the stuff and after some argument they took the application. Apparently the licence will be out in a about a week. They gave me a receipt and said it was ok to drive with this as the Gardai will accept it. I have lessons booked for later this week and dont want to cancel them but am a bit nervous about driving around without an actual licence.

Has anyone any ideas on whether the receipt for the licence application is sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

J-B wrote: »
    Has anyone any ideas on whether the receipt for the licence application is sufficient?
    I can't imagine that they will have any problem with it.

(I was going to answer you initial question a few days ago but I declined as I wasn't sure. I would have been 90% certain that they wouldn't have accepted the application! Shows what I know. :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

A friend of mine passed his test in Cork - lives in Dublin. When he went to apply for his license in Cork he was told that only his Local Tax Office can issue any type of license or learners permit...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭J-B

Initially they refused to take it because the last one was issued by Kildare Co Co and that is where I live. I pointed out that because of the opening hours of Kildare Co Co I would not have anyone to accompany me and would be breaking the law by driving there on my tobler. This did the trick but in fairness it was very touch and go for a while!! They seem to be reasonable enough if you have a legitimate reason for turning up in a different motor tax office from where you live.

• Advertisement
Advertisement