Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A log, of reading

Options
  • 17-07-2008 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

Read so far this year:

A Prayer For Owen Meany - John Irving
    The Cider House Rules - John Irving
    Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
    Less Than Zero - Bret Easton Ellis
    Catcher in the Rye - J.D Salinger
    No Country for Old Men - Corman McCarthy
    The Night Watch Trilogy - Sergei Lukyanenko

Thoughts:

I'm really liking John Irving; Owen Meany is well up there for me in my top books, and Cider House was a very good read too.

Catch-22 is possibly my favourite book ever, having read it for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

Less Than Zero was interesting, but disturbing. I should've known - I only realised Bret Easton Ellis was also the author of American Psycho when I was about halfway through. This book inspired a Bloc Party song which I'm quite partial to so that was cool.

I'll admit it now;I did not "get" The Catcher in the Rye. The brilliance of it evaded me completely. Some day I may re-read and find a new level of literary genius. Hopefully.

I found No Country for Old Men relatively boring and slightly frustrating. The manner in which dialogue was expressed was f*cking annoying - no quotation marks, commas, apostrophes, and no indication of who's just spoken. It all got a bit confusing for my feeble brain. The ending didn't move me one bit.

The Night Watch Trilogy is standard, enjoyable sci-fi shlock. These were the first books I read this year and they made me resolve to try and buy more books that will make me think and not just entertain me briefly.

Currently reading:

The World According to Garp, another John Irving. I've tried to pace myself Irving-wise as apparently if his books are read too soon after one another they can become repetitive. I think I've done ok; the only major similarity I've spotted is the common use of Garp's and Dr. Larch's (from Cider House) writings as a sort of narrative from the characters.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

I've seriously slowed down - partially due to increased school work, more because I now have less moneyz to fuel my habit.

Read since 17-07-08:

The World According to Garp - John Irving
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (First 4 books) - Douglas Adams
    I Am Legend - Richard Matheson
    Lord of the Flies - William Golding
    Other stuff too embarrassing/not worthy to be mentioned - Various

Must improve :(

Advertisement