Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What butchers to get a decent steak from?

Options
  • 17-07-2008 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Hi again personal shoppers :p
    Right, so I want to get myself one of those really nice, juicy, thick BBQable steaks (no fancy sauces, just proper meat) for the weekend. What butches do a mean steak?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Mmmm :D

Colleran John E & Sons
    18 Mainguard st Galway Co. Galway
    (091)562582

Hope this helps.
    Valerie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I get all my meat in Divillys in Westside. They are expensive but you get what you pay for. They use to do a BBQ between 11 and 3 on a Saturday. Try before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

sgthighway wrote: »
    I get all my meat in Divillys in Westside. They are expensive but you get what you pay for. They use to do a BBQ between 11 and 3 on a Saturday. Try before you buy.

This would be the most convenient for me. Do they have your basic nice juicy steak with minimum fat on it yeah? Or is it just fancy bbq food they do?

Valerie - Thanks for the tip about Collerans, bit of a hassle with parking etc though. I want to get these bad boy steaks tomorrow morning and be out of here by 10am... hoping to have 1 or 2 of the steaks in me by lunchtime on the bbq :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I reckon you could drive down shop street -> mainguard st. early and park right outside. I'll go and check.............

back......... you can still drive down but be out of there by 10am. It use to be 11am but not anymore.

sgthighway wrote: »
    I reckon you could drive down shop street -> mainguard st. early and park right outside. I'll go and check.............

back......... you can still drive down but be out of there by 10am. It use to be 11am but not anymore.

Great tip, what a perfect excuse for me to use the mini-van... i'll even fit right in :p

*nyom* steak :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

dunnes stores is worth a look also, they have 25% off on sirloiins and fillets regulary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

On Thursday mornings there's a market in Oranmore behind the astro pitch, there's a butcher there from Gort, forget his name, but there you'll find the finest striplion steak known to man.
    I think he might be at the market on Saturday mornings in Claregalway behind the Arches Hotel.

On the subject of minimum fat, fat is needed on a steak to get maximum flavour, you can always remove it after cooking ;)

DeadSkin wrote: »
    On Thursday mornings there's a market in Oranmore behind the astro pitch, there's a butcher there from Gort, forget his name, but there you'll find the finest striplion steak known to man.
    I think he might be at the market on Saturday mornings in Claregalway behind the Arches Hotel.

On the subject of minimum fat, fat is needed on a steak to get maximum flavour, you can always remove it after cooking ;)

Thanks for the tip but want to stay in town or to the west. Ah yeah I don't mind the fat once it can be cut off easily (ie. its a streak on the outside), but you know sometimes when you get fat that seems to make its way into the meat and you have to nearly decypher it out with your knife

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Is that butchers across from the entrance to tescos in the shopping centre still there. I remember going there a year or so back because it came highly recomended and i had to buy a serious amount of meat there.

It was absolutly gorgeous, don't know why i haven't travelled over there specially since come to think of it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip but want to stay in town or to the west. Ah yeah I don't mind the fat once it can be cut off easily (ie. its a streak on the outside), but you know sometimes when you get fat that seems to make its way into the meat and you have to nearly decypher it out with your knife

The best steaks should have the marbleing of fat throughout the meat, thats what gives it the best flavour and if its a decent bit of steak done properly (i.e. rare) then will be fantastic melt in your mouth stuff

• Advertisement

Webbs wrote: »
    The best steaks should have the marbleing of fat throughout the meat, thats what gives it the best flavour and if its a decent bit of steak done properly (i.e. rare) then will be fantastic melt in your mouth stuff

That's what i'm after, had a lovely one on the weekend from the BBQ. We let teh charcoal die a lot and thought it was too dead, oh how wrong were we, it was teh best steak I ever had on a BBQ... I know for the future :)

Advertisement