Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cinema in Dublin?

Options
  • 17-07-2008 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

It's gotta be Cineworld...19.99 a month to go see all the films you want! (bargain when you consider it's a tenner to go ONCE), we go about twice a week and make the most of it :)

On a downer though, the food is well expensive...11.70 for a reg popcorn and 2 drinks? come ON.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

ozzyoh wrote: »
    On a downer though, the food is well expensive...11.70 for a reg popcorn and 2 drinks? come ON.......

Thats the only part of the cost of going to the cinema they make any sort of moeny on. Most if not all of the money from ticket receipts goes back to the studios if i recall.

But on a whole I would generally only go to cineworld/ugc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Yeah - UGC, Cineworld and the Virgin Cinema are probably the best in the city.

Or whatever the feck it's being called this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

You can't beat Savoy Screen 1 though. Beautiful screen and great toilet facilities. The toilets in Cineworld are ridiculously small for such a large cinema and very poorly attended to.

The Lighthouse Cinema is really nice too. Seating is brilliant in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

You can't beat Savoy Screen 1 though. Beautiful screen and great toilet facilities. The toilets in Cineworld are ridiculously small for such a large cinema and very poorly attended to.
    When was the last time you visited cineworld? Facilities have improved!

My favourite cinema is Cineworld, food is expensive(same everywhere) though.

Love the unlimited... €19.99 :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

They're all the same because they show the same movies as each other.
    Used to be a lot of privately-owned cinemas in Dublin but they're gone now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I haven't been to CineWorld in ages!

I like Dundrum cinema as it is close to my house. Only draw back is that some of the screens are very small!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I still like the Screen, small and all as it is. It feels like a 'proper' cinema - I think it's the red curtains do it for me.

Of the newer cinemas, I like the Lighthouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I really don't like Cineworld. I go to my local UCI, cheaper tickets, marginally cheaper food but more importantly nowhere near as crazy busy as Cineworld.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭who's yer one?

fundrum is local, and they'll make me a half blue-half red slushie so 2points for them
    but UCI does buttered popcorn...but cineworld's just nice..*scratches head*
    unrelated note: i do propose we ban mobiles from theatres, or give the ushers special a$$-kicking powers should anyone start yapping away mid-movie (jerk @ hancock on mon night, im scowling at You. >:[ )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

The IFI is a pretty nice cinema, albeit not your conventional cinema. Other than that I like Cinevirginugcworld :p:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

unrelated note: i do propose we ban mobiles from theatres, or give the ushers special a$$-kicking powers should anyone start yapping away mid-movie (jerk @ hancock on mon night, im scowling at You. >:[ )

I was in dundrum cinema on saturday night and a guy 2 seats up from me answered his phone mid film and talked for about 2 mins :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Gotta be the lighthouse or the screen for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Myself and the missus were out and about when we noticed the poster for The Lighthouse, with all of these recommendations we'll have to go and check it out.

While there are certainly other cinema's it has to be Cineworld for us, simple because of the card and the fact that it's less than a 5min walk away. Happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

IFI is the best

Cineworld is great from opening to about 8pm.

As for ****tey Valley, Dulldrum, etc......forget it....only the knobheads in them places.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The Lighthouse Cinema is really nice too. Seating is brilliant in it.

You're right abot the toilets in Savoy, very handy and well kept.

The Lighthouse is really worth going to as well, a different movie experience imo.

Cineworld has good facilities, and is central, has lots of screens etc., The unlimited card would be a no brainer IF you could pre-book online!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

but UCI does buttered popcorn.

Buttered popcorn?! Woah, thought that was banned for health code violations: used to specifically go to Dun Laoghaire to get that most beautiful of unhealthy snacks, but alas they stopped. Which UCI is this?

As for the city, usually depends on the screen. Savoy Screen 1 and Cineworld 17 are excellent for the new blockbusters, while Cineworld would generally be the choice for big new films. Although my first visit to the Lighthouse was excellent (very unique place) so may be at that more. IFI has a great selection of films, but the seating is sometimes uncomfortable up in Screen 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Ster Century definitely has the biggest screens, comfiest seats and the rake is so steep that it doesn't matter if Shaquille O'Neal is sitting in front of you, he won't impede your view.

Unfortunately, it can get a bit of a rough element, so you need to be willing to go out and get security if you happen to have a few bell-ends at your particular screening.

Denzille (sp?) Lane, which is used for private screenings, is also very comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Ster Century definitely has the biggest screens, comfiest seats and the rake is so steep that it doesn't matter if Shaquille O'Neal is sitting in front of you, he won't impede your view.

Unfortunately, it can get a bit of a rough element, so you need to be willing to go out and get security if you happen to have a few bell-ends at your particular screening.

Denzille (sp?) Lane, which is used for private screenings, is also very comfy.

You mean Vue in Liffey Valley right?

I haven't been to Denzille Cinema either, but 830 for a private screening for 30 people is a bit steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭peeps78

its gotta be Savoy screen 1,
    i still love the Screen but its getting a bit run down. the speakers crackle a bit. but i suppose this is inevitable (sp?) as its not getting the numbers anymore.
    UGC is unfortunatly very handy and has a wide selection.
    Damn you giant omniplexi!!!

il have to check out the lighthouse.

p.s does anyone remember the Forum in Glasthule? i used to love going there when i was a kid, they even used to have intermission raffles and we'd sing happy birthday etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

zAbbo wrote: »
    You mean Vue in Liffey Valley right?.

Oops! I certainly do. I'm a rebrander's nightmare...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭who's yer one?

Buttered popcorn?! Woah, thought that was banned for health code violations: used to specifically go to Dun Laoghaire to get that most beautiful of unhealthy snacks, but alas they stopped. Which UCI is this?

UCI in blanchardstown And Tallaght both do delicious many-napkin-neccessatating (sp) buttery goodness. i suffer from pedestrianism, so its not always an option for me, living where i do, but i have motorist friends willing to drive to the other end of the city for the popcorn (dundrum's popcorn is all dry and needs m&ms mixed in to fix it)

Advertisement