Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster looking to play in Waterford?

• 17-07-2008 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Munster ‘would love’ visit to Déise

By Michael Moynihan
    MUNSTER chief executive Garret Fitzgerald yesterday admitted the prospects of a Magners League or Heineken Cup game being played outside Cork and Limerick were poor in the short term, but added that playing a friendly or pre-season game somewhere like Waterford was something Munster “would love to do if we could”.

The appearance of Declan Kidney and the Heineken Cup at the launch of the redeveloped Regional Sports Centre in Waterford last week led to speculation in the southeast that the European champions may play a game there in the near future.

But yesterday Fitzgerald outlined the obstacles in the way of any such proposal

We’ve discussed it,” said Fitzgerald.

“We have discussed it before with people involved in rugby in the Waterford area. But given our contractual agreements now with the Magners League, it’s not as easy as just deciding to move a fixture.

“Second, with our efforts to attract large numbers of ticket holders, in which you’ve sold large numbers of season tickets in advance for a venue they’re supposed to attend, it’s now a much bigger consideration to move a fixture than it was four or five years ago.

“If people buy a ticket for a particular location, then there are commitments involved. Then you have pitchside advertising, branding and so on, all of which would have to be moved. So that makes it a very difficult proposition.”

However, the Munster boss didn’t rule out the possibility of the European champions playing in Waterford at some point in the future.

“But there’s possibility of looking at playing a friendly fixture or a pre-season game somewhere like Waterford, and it’s something we’d love to do if we could.

“But a competitive game is a much harder proposition than it used to be.”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Don't know if there's all that much interest in rugby in Waterford, but it would be good to see rugby there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

The rumour has been going into overdrive since Kidney mentioned that there might be a friendly lined up for Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

If there was, and tickets were reasonably priced I would imagine there would be alot of interest in it, I know i would probably go, when I would not normally go to a match in Limerick, Cork, or even Dublin for Ireland. I'd say there would be a fair few that would be similar to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Nowhere near big enough to hold a serious game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Don't know if there's all that much interest in rugby in Waterford, but it would be good to see rugby there.

Oh I reckon there'd be a lot of interest. 4 years ago when my son started playing rugby they were struggling to make a team at his age group and with the success that Munster have had in recent years the numbers joining the youths section has shot up so much so that the coaches can easily make 3 if not 4 teams.

The sports shops in Waterford now have a bigger range of rugby shirts and accessories and the main sports shop that sells the largest range have said sales in rugby gear has shot up.

It can be difficult enough to get tickets to the big rugby matches but if Munster come to Waterford I reckon there'd be a big turnout. I'd be there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 paddy1mac

It can be difficult enough to get tickets to the big rugby matches but if Munster come to Waterford I reckon there'd be a big turnout. I'd be there ;)[/quote]

Agree 100% I was at the final in May and the amount of Waterford and South Tipp people we bumped into was unreal.

Does anyone know when they are getting the civic reception here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

I think one may be lined up for September.

Advertisement