Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor and adding ISP service

• 17-07-2008 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been reading about peoples difficulty getting the ISP data charges on their phones. I think I get the gist of it but I'm not fully there yet.

I entered the isp.mymeteor.ie details I found into my phone and got errors when I tried to use it so I figured the advice I read about having to ring 1905 to set it up would be my next step.

I rang them and asked for the ISP service to be set up. Lady said grand, no problem. I get the service text to my phone, hit save and all she's sent me is the WAP and MMS settings that I already have. So the call center people are as clueless as I've been reading about it seems.

I rang them back later and said the person before had misunderstood and explained what she'd sent me. I said I already had the WAP and MMS settings and that I wanted the ISP settings turned on for my account and sent to my phone. This is where I get confused. She said 'You want data set up for your phone?'. I wasn't sure of this new term, so I said I didn't want WAP or MMS again, I already had them. She told me that data was seperate and for internet so I said grand, send away. Sure enough, it was seperate and the text I got set it up for my phone. I tried using and it works.

For people who understand all this, is the the 'Meteor Data' settings I've been sent the same as the Meteor ISP settings? Data specifies the APN as data.mymeteor.ie. I was billed 2c for using under a kb of data. That's what makes me wonder if its just the same price as the WAP access. Or perhaps there's a 2c minimum charge.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

innisfree wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been reading about peoples difficulty getting the ISP data charges on their phones. I think I get the gist of it but I'm not fully there yet.

I entered the isp.mymeteor.ie details I found into my phone and got errors when I tried to use it so I figured the advice I read about having to ring 1905 to set it up would be my next step.

I rang them and asked for the ISP service to be set up. Lady said grand, no problem. I get the service text to my phone, hit save and all she's sent me is the WAP and MMS settings that I already have. So the call center people are as clueless as I've been reading about it seems.

I rang them back later and said the person before had misunderstood and explained what she'd sent me. I said I already had the WAP and MMS settings and that I wanted the ISP settings turned on for my account and sent to my phone. This is where I get confused. She said 'You want data set up for your phone?'. I wasn't sure of this new term, so I said I didn't want WAP or MMS again, I already had them. She told me that data was seperate and for internet so I said grand, send away. Sure enough, it was seperate and the text I got set it up for my phone. I tried using and it works.

For people who understand all this, is the the 'Meteor Data' settings I've been sent the same as the Meteor ISP settings? Data specifies the APN as data.mymeteor.ie. I was billed 2c for using under a kb of data. That's what makes me wonder if its just the same price as the WAP access. Or perhaps there's a 2c minimum charge.

Any help appreciated.
    Meteor WAP -> obviously enough for wap: through a proxy. ports are blocked.

Meteor MMS -> obviously enough for mms: unable to access internet

Meteor ISP -> full internet access. no port restrictions. 0.48c /kb

Meteor DATA -> full internet access. no port restrictions. 0.48c /kb afaik

I believe there is no difference between the isp and data access points. well apart from the data.mymeteor.ie and isp.mymeteor.ie access points. Just say you want to connect your laptop to the internet, they will give you all the spiel about it being very expensive etc. Just persist and eventually they will set you up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

There is a lot of confusion regarding this and even some of the Customer Care reps don't understand it.

To use the internet or an APN you need to have the correct settings on the phone.

If your using WAP you will be sent WAP and MMS settings, if your using Data you will be sent the Data settings. There are no ISP settings that can be sent, they need to be entered manually into the phone as you said you have done so.

Once you have the settings on your phone you also need to be provisioned to use the APN. By default your account wll be set up for MMS and WAP access. If you want to use ISP, you will have to be provisioned to use ISP. This is done by the technical department.

Once you have the settings set up for ISP and you have been provisioned for ISP it should work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

7.Ronaldo wrote: »
    If your using WAP you will be sent WAP and MMS settings, if your using Data you will be sent the Data settings. There are no ISP settings that can be sent, they need to be entered manually into the phone as you said you have done so.
    you can be sent isp settings from the nokia website. it's just that for some reason meteor never set up an configuration message with the isp settings in it

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

jmccrohan wrote: »

I believe there is no difference between the isp and data access points. well apart from the data.mymeteor.ie and isp.mymeteor.ie access points. Just say you want to connect your laptop to the internet, they will give you all the spiel about it being very expensive etc. Just persist and eventually they will set you up for it.

Holy **** 48cent per kb?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Holy **** 48cent per kb?

Dont forget your decimal point ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 woodentopz

i wonder how dumb this is...im trying to use my (now unlocked) 3 dongle (E169G) to access Meteor data services (which are now reasonablish priced at 99c/day with a 50MB cap, and as its my talk service too, it'd save the e24/month extra that using 3's data service costs - all prices PAYG).

My laptop seems to recognise my Meteor sim when its inserted in the dongle (i can send and receive sms on it!) But it don't want to do the proper GPRS thing. It keeps failing to authenticate, although it gets to the authentication bit.

I wonder does anyone know what the setting should / need to be in the little modem app that comes with 3's dongle? I have put the APN as data.meteor.ie, but can't seem to find anything else that i can change...usefully. In that app, there is a little "authetification" section, which on 3 (and now when im trying to use meteor) has a box labelled "Number" which has *99# in it, and the other boxes labelled "username" or "password" are both blank.

Any tips most appreciated...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

The information you mention is correct. The Data APN works in the same way as the ISP APN and usage using either is the same on postpay too.

woodentopz wrote: »
    i wonder how dumb this is...im trying to use my (now unlocked) 3 dongle (E169G) to access Meteor data services (which are now reasonablish priced at 99c/day with a 50MB cap, and as its my talk service too, it'd save the e24/month extra that using 3's data service costs - all prices PAYG).

My laptop seems to recognise my Meteor sim when its inserted in the dongle (i can send and receive sms on it!) But it don't want to do the proper GPRS thing. It keeps failing to authenticate, although it gets to the authentication bit.

I wonder does anyone know what the setting should / need to be in the little modem app that comes with 3's dongle? I have put the APN as data.meteor.ie, but can't seem to find anything else that i can change...usefully. In that app, there is a little "authetification" section, which on 3 (and now when im trying to use meteor) has a box labelled "Number" which has *99# in it, and the other boxes labelled "username" or "password" are both blank.

Any chance of posting up a screenshot of the app? Might make it easier to spot whats missing.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    The information you mention is correct. The Data APN works in the same way as the ISP APN and usage using either is the same also.
    That information is out of data now though.

ISP and DATA are now 2c per kb up to 99c, where you get a flat rate for 50MB of data per day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is that to all networks?

• Advertisement

Any chance of posting up a screenshot of the app? Might make it easier to spot whats missing.

That information is out of data now though.

ISP and DATA are now 2c per kb up to 99c, where you get a flat rate for 50MB of data per day.

Postpay pricing hasn't changed, only prepay. I will edit my previous comment to be more clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

webtexts from your phone? Can people reply to them, exact same as normal texts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

webtexts from your phone? Can people reply to them, exact same as normal texts?

all the times we've posted back and forth and you've never looked at my sig?

woodentopz wrote: »

I'm not sure whether it was a typo but the Data APN name is "data.mymeteor.ie" and not "data.meteor.ie". You could also try adding the username: as "my" and changing the dial-up number, labelled as "Number" as per your post, to "*99***1#".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭brendanuk

Meteor DATA setting are now available via mymeteor.ie,
    Help & Support -> Download Settings -> Meteor DATA -> send

Advertisement