Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Touch Pro

• 17-07-2008 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

I saw this phone a little while back and just instantly wanted it! It should be arriving sometime the end of August. Ive been looking around for what network it will be on and the price it will be. Ive not really been successful.

Im figuring it will cost 600+ :( I dont mind honestly what network its on I dont mind changing!

Anyone have info?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Should be out in the next month or so i'd say.
    AFAIK it's on pre-order on sites like device-wire.
    Absolutely no idea what, if any, operators here will be picking it up.

It's predecessor (w/o keyboard) the Diamond is out for a while now.
    O2 (elsewhere) and T-mobile are doing versions of the Diamond IIRC but again no idea if it'll be picked up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yea I lost my phone in london awhile ago(called it when I couldn't find it and was turned off :mad::() so ive had a fairly crappy 2nd hand phone the last few months.. was going to buy and iphone and then I saw this one and just wanted it straight away.

Suppose ill find out soon enough thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dogbytes

I want one too. HTC are great, I've had a Tytn for almost 2 years now and it's the best piece of technology I've ever got. Having a slide out qwerty keyboard is a big advantage.
    Much better than the virtual iPhone keyboard.
    Expansys are saying available on August 14th.

I think ill go in and ask the shops will they be getting it in.. Seems like the smartest thing to do :pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Best of luck with that :)
    They prob won't have a clue.
    Just keep an eye on device wire and expansys to see when it somes up.

Mik

• Advertisement

You can get them now off expansys now, anyone have any info on them working in Ireland or anything?

They will work fine in ireland on any network as they are sim free.
    I bought a Touch Diamond and a Tytn II of them and had no probs.
    You will have to manually adjust some settings to get Internet working but it's pretty simple.

Go for it :)

Mik

mik_da_man wrote: »
    They will work fine in ireland on any network as they are sim free.
    I bought a Touch Diamond and a Tytn II of them and had no probs.
    You will have to manually adjust some settings to get Internet working but it's pretty simple.

Go for it :)

Mik

haha its not as easy as it seems.. Ive the choice between a new camera now or at christmas or a new phone now or at christmas ive got a nice bit of money coming my way the end of the month and I dont know what to do :o

me thinks phone though as im currently rocking one of these beauties

02_5070_lowres.jpg

EDIT: What network are you on btw?

Tough choice :)
    I'd go for the phone now - but them I'm not into cameras much...
    I'm on Vodafone at the moment - using a 1GB Data add-on this month and trying to see how it fairs, so far it's pretty good

Tough choice :)
    I'd go for the phone now - but them I'm not into cameras much...
    I'm on Vodafone at the moment - using a 1GB Data add-on this month and trying to see how it fairs, so far it's pretty good

Christmas is only 4 months away hmm :rolleyes: Im on vodafone myself so thats good news!

So I would have no problem ordering this from expansys now and it would work fine? Just to double check! :) Doesn't matter it being a UK phone?

• Advertisement

You will have no problem at all.
    The UK thing is just that it's the UK version - ie in english.
    Just buy the phone, pop your sim in and away you go.
    If you have any voda insurance you can cancel that cause they wont cover it.
    Then just check the settings sticky for your internet settings, the ones the phone automatically loads do not work.

Easy as pie :)

Mik

You will have no problem at all.
    The UK thing is just that it's the UK version - ie in english.
    Just buy the phone, pop your sim in and away you go.
    If you have any voda insurance you can cancel that cause they wont cover it.
    Then just check the settings sticky for your internet settings, the ones the phone automatically loads do not work.

Easy as pie :)

Mik

Your actually making me want the phone so much :rolleyes: Sure we will see next week how money goes atleast I know it works. Thanks!!

No Bother :)
    I have to say I really like the HTC stuff - great bits of kit

Well I got this phone the other day cost me €666 :pac: Bought it of ebay came in 2 days so all is good. The phone itself is great its smaller than an ipod about the same size as the picture of the phone I posted above.. but its heavier but thats not a bad thing really you forget you have it after a few minutes :)

The keypad is great same with the internet, gps, all the office stuff word excel outlook(dont use the last 2 though) . Only thing I have a problem with is the battery life it last a measley 11 hours after a full charge and only using it for texting. Its kind of a pain becuase I work 12 hour shifts.. BUT it can be charged via usb and a pc which is handy because we have pcs in here so I can just bring in a usb cable and charge it if needed. Maybe not everyones cup of tea but its fine with me I can get use to it.

I will be looking into getting another battery though for long trips and holidays.

Overall its really nice and pretty! Im happy to say it was worth the price I paid for it :)

dazftw wrote: »
    Well I got this phone the other day cost me €666 :pac: Bought it of ebay came in 2 days so all is good. The phone itself is great its smaller than an ipod about the same size as the picture of the phone I posted above.. but its heavier but thats not a bad thing really you forget you have it after a few minutes :)

The keypad is great same with the internet, gps, all the office stuff word excel outlook(dont use the last 2 though) . Only thing I have a problem with is the battery life it last a measley 11 hours after a full charge and only using it for texting. Its kind of a pain becuase I work 12 hour shifts.. BUT it can be charged via usb and a pc which is handy because we have pcs in here so I can just bring in a usb cable and charge it if needed. Maybe not everyones cup of tea but its fine with me I can get use to it.

I will be looking into getting another battery though for long trips and holidays.

Overall its really nice and pretty! Im happy to say it was worth the price I paid for it :)

Congrats! HTC is always a good choice I think. Couple of questions for you:

1. Does it come with gps up and running ? Or do you need to load/buy a third party programme for this ?

2. How are you finding the web browser - does youtube work ? I have an older version of windows mobile and I find alot of sites don't work, because of flash or streaming problems.
    For example, if you try this bbc stream on your phone, does it work:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00d66tq

dogbytes wrote: »

1. Does it come with gps up and running ? Or do you need to load/buy a third party programme for this ?

2. How are you finding the web browser - does youtube work ? I have an older version of windows mobile and I find alot of sites don't work, because of flash or streaming problems.

Im trying to install flash on opera but its not doing anything for me. Im going to try it on IE later tonight when I get home I get no wifi in work :( Ill try that link for you aswell later.

About the gps once I open google maps I open up the menu and select use gps and give it a minute to start and a blue dot shows where I am and its pretty accurate. I also think there is another gps programme on it but I havn't tried it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

hi dazftw,
    I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these myself and I also have a couple of questions:

1) Is the headphone socket a standard 3mm headphone jack? i.e. Can you use whatever headphones you like with it? Or is it a custom size?

2) Whats the sound like for MP3 playback?

3) how solid/sturdy is the slide out keyboard machanism? I've got a slide phone at the moment at the slider is pretty loose (I have had the phone about 2 years now though)

The headphone jack isn't a standard one no that was one of the 1st things I noticed.. It was really small.

The Slide out keyboard is pretty sturdy snaps out and back pretty nicely.

Playing music through the phone speakers is pretty good I havn't used the headphones yet.. Ill try that when I get home aswell.

Another thing great about the phone is when texting it groups all your texts into conversations so its essentially like msn which makes texting and deleting messages as handy as I dunno.. tying your shoe lace :pac: All done very quickly.

The headphone jack isn't a standard one no that was one of the 1st things I noticed.. It was really small.

thanks dazftw, shame about the headphone socket :(
    I'm a little particular about the headphones that I like to use and am also thinking about getting some decent noise cancelling ones - would be v.dissapointed if I couldn't use them with the phone

thanks dazftw, shame about the headphone socket :(
    I'm a little particular about the headphones that I like to use and am also thinking about getting some decent noise cancelling ones - would be v.dissapointed if I couldn't use them with the phone

slicedpanman, you could always use one of these ( http://tinyurl.com/5gazhs ), though I personally think it's a pain having to use an adapter - especially on something so expensive in the first place

• Advertisement

slicedpanman, you could always use one of these ( http://tinyurl.com/5gazhs ), though I personally think it's a pain having to use an adapter - especially on something so expensive in the first place

excellent dogbytes :D
    I could live with that for a couple of quid...

You can get one with a in-line remote also, check expansys.
    Linky
    They are a good bit more expensive but very handy, I have one for my Touch Diamond

On my touch Diamond I had no GPS, Installed Gmaps and they work well.
    There is a you tube app on the phone, have not used it though, I'm pretty sure Flash does not work on Opera 9 yet, It's something they are working on

You can get one with a in-line remote also, check expansys.
    Linky
    They are a good bit more expensive but very handy, I have one for my Touch Diamond

cheers mik_da_man... that does look like the business (despite the price) :cool:

I have one more question for all the current owners of the Touch Pro out there... What is the phone like in speaker mode? i.e. Can/could you use it in the car in speaker mode without the need for any kind of hands free kit? [aside from a cradle to stick it in]

I'm thinking that it would be v.handy in the car if it does work well in speaker mode (and I load on TomTom) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Speaker volume is fine, at a desk at least, but haven't tried it in the car as I have a car kit. Any phone I've tried to use in a car without a kit hasn't been good though. While you may hear the caller, them hearing you is usually the problem.

I have been looking for a cradle aswell but all that seems to be available for it is the universal clamp type pda holder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

The Slide out keyboard is pretty sturdy snaps out and back pretty nicely.

Playing music through the phone speakers is pretty good I havn't used the headphones yet.. Ill try that when I get home aswell.

Another thing great about the phone is when texting it groups all your texts into conversations so its essentially like msn which makes texting and deleting messages as handy as I dunno.. tying your shoe lace :pac: All done very quickly.

One question to Touch Pro users.
    Battery-life- what's it like?
    I hear it's better than on the Touch Diamond- not difficult i'd have thought :)
    Say you use 30 min gps, 30 min-1 hr browsing, 30 min calls, push email, 1 hr music, a bit of radio and keep bluetooth on every day.
    Would it easily get through the day without a recharge?

If battery-life is OK, this may be my next phone- that or the N96.
    The Youtube videos of the Touch Pro are impressive.

mkennedy wrote: »
    One question to Touch Pro users.
    Battery-life- what's it like?
    I hear it's better than on the Touch Diamond- not difficult i'd have thought :)
    Say you use 30 min gps, 30 min-1 hr browsing, 30 min calls, push email, 1 hr music, a bit of radio and keep bluetooth on every day.
    Would it easily get through the day without a recharge?

If battery-life is OK, this may be my next phone- that or the N96.
    The Youtube videos of the Touch Pro are impressive.

I don't own one, so can't say for sure but the manual (download here) claims the following;
    Battery life estimates (approximations):
    Standby time: Up to 367 hours for GSM
    Up to 462 hours for WCDMA
    Talk time: Up to 419 minutes for GSM
    Up to 378 minutes WCDMA
    Video call time: Up to 189 minutes for WCDMA

It also says that there is a "sleep" mode on the phone which presumably puts the phone in standby and reduces power consumption. But I too would like to hear what real users real experience of the battery life is like...

PS here is section 13.11 from the manual
    Battery Saving Tips
    How long your battery power lasts depends on the battery type and how you use your device. Try the following to help conserve battery life:
    • When the device is not in use, press POWER to switch off the display.
    • On the Home screen, slide to the Settings tab and then tap All Settings. On the System tab, tap Power > Advanced tab of the Power settings screen. Here, you can specify the time before your device automatically turns off the display and backlight to conserve battery power. For optimum conservation, specify 3 minutes or less.
    • On the Home screen, slide to the Settings tab and then tap All Settings. On the System tab, tap Power > Backlight tab to adjust the backlight brightness settings.
    • Use the AC adapter to plug your device into an external power outlet whenever possible, especially when using a storage card or when using a modem or other peripherals.
    • Turn Bluetooth off when you are not using it. Make your device visible to other devices only when you are trying to establish a Bluetooth partnership. For more information about Bluetooth, see Chapter 9.
    • Lower the volume.
    • Close battery-intensive programs, such as the Camera, when you are done using them. Make sure the programs are ended and are not continuously running in the background. Refer to “Using Task Manager” in this chapter for information on closing programs.

I get an average of 10 - 11 hours out of it! Im wondering is there any sort of different battery I can get that lasts longer.

I get an average of 10 - 11 hours out of it!

thats not good... Do you leave Bluetooth on all the time? Would any of the above "power saving tips" help?

• Advertisement

I know you can get a bigger battery for the Touch Diamond
    http://www.batteryupgrade.com/product_detail.php?productId=56299369
    Maybe one will be avaiable for the Touch Pro soon

Mik

Advertisement