Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Touch Pro

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

either way it is another point in the plus column when comparing to the iPhone:
    • the possiblity to replace an old/faulty battery
    • get a battery upgrade if one does become available
    • keep a spare fully charged one on hand for emergencies
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Bought an unlocked Touch Pro on ebay yesterday. Just waiting for it to ship over.

Was a close toss up between the Pro & the xperia X1 but for the extra £20 I went with the Pro. Reviews pointed toward it being the better phone over all.

Shame I won't get to play with it for another few weeks but worth the wait!

Also bought a 4gig microSDHC card for 17e for use with it. No need for music on it bar some ringtones but gps and the like i'd make use of with it.

trying to get tomtom + gps working on my touch pro.

atm I have 'trying to find valid gps signal' when I run the program.

anything I should be doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

kaimera wrote: »
    trying to get tomtom + gps working on my touch pro.

atm I have 'trying to find valid gps signal' when I run the program.

anything I should be doing?

These devices usually take a while to get their first GPS fix (you might need to leave it in open view of the sky for 20 minutes or so the very first time).
    After that it should pick it up quickly, (especially if you keep the quick GPS app up to date).

In Tomtom you need to choose the gps receiver, com port and baud rate (on my device i choose "other gps nmea receiver", com port 4 and a baud rate of 9600 iirc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Been doing research on it, I'm ordering touch HD from expansys on tuesday

It will work here becaues its unlocked, the best value package is with Three im getting relax 90 with 70 minutes and 60 texts and 1GB internet for 30 euro a month. That beats all others. but , theres more ! lol, you also get 90 minutes 3 to 3 calls which is good because some of my family are using it at the moment.

Also and this is important to me, you get basically unlimited FREE MSN and Skype. (you can edit the registery on non 3 phones so they use the correct settings to register for free afaik). this means with my skype all europe bundle I can call any landline in europe (and some mobiles) for just 45~ EUR a year or so. Which is really excellent. Can also use the skype credit and just normal free skype. I don't know how they can offer this as it will use alot of data (think they have a cap of 3000 minutes for skype per month?)

Yes here it is:
    "n Windows Live Messenger:
    6,000 instant messages
    n Skype: 4,000 Skype minutes
    and 10,000 Skype chat
    messages."

Just FANTASTIC!

Really looking forward to getting it now because what Im going to do is get a phone with the relax 90. Then sell it on hopefully making 100~ EUR profit. Then use that 100 eur against my bill for the 12 months so it should only work out at 260 for Three and 45~ for skype so lets say 300 euro a year for basically all the calls I need to make in ireland. all the internet i need. and unlimited landline and european calls PLUS MSN and normal skype!

• Advertisement

got tomtom working and also threw on google maps.

question;

is there any way to edit contacts via a pc?

got tomtom working and also threw on google maps.

question;

is there any way to edit contacts via a pc?

Good to hear you got it working.
    Can't you just sync your contacts to your pc using the activesync software (or whatever they're calling it nowadays- Windows Mobile device Centre).
    Once the contacts are synced to Outlook on the PC, you can edit them, can't you?
    Then sync again i presume (but first making sure the sync settings are exactly as you want them to avoid losing data)

Also, if you're interested there's a multitude of great apps available for WM (many free). Video, music, internet, ebooks, reference, weather/ currency/travel apps/widgets, IM, email, RSS etc etc.
    FWIW I'd recommend vtap, Yahoo Go, spb mobileshell, pnotepad, tomeraider and TCPMP for starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Deaddude wrote: »
    Been doing research on it, I'm ordering touch HD from expansys on tuesday

It will work here becaues its unlocked, the best value package is with Three im getting relax 90 with 70 minutes and 60 texts and 1GB internet for 30 euro a month. That beats all others. but , theres more ! lol, you also get 90 minutes 3 to 3 calls which is good because some of my family are using it at the moment.

Also and this is important to me, you get basically unlimited FREE MSN and Skype. (you can edit the registery on non 3 phones so they use the correct settings to register for free afaik). this means with my skype all europe bundle I can call any landline in europe (and some mobiles) for just 45~ EUR a year or so. Which is really excellent. Can also use the skype credit and just normal free skype. I don't know how they can offer this as it will use alot of data (think they have a cap of 3000 minutes for skype per month?)

I think that 3's skype service only allows skype to skype calls. No SkypeOut calls at all.

hi again folks,

custom rom - is anybody with a touch pro running one?

recommend one and the flash procedure?

I'm having problems where the phone is appearing like it has turned off but the only way to power it on is to remove the battery and click the power button.

this happens on battery & on charger and happens randomly. i've googled the problem and made some changes based on whaT i found ( cant think of exactly what i did but summet about the phone going into standby i disabled )

hoping the new rom might fix it. very very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Hi kaimera,
    Check out the XDA Developers pages for ROMs and flashing instructions/tools etc.

I went with the HTC Touch HD in the end (instead of the Pro) - very happy with it... I'm planning to shortly flash one of the new WinMo 6.5 roms on to it

• Advertisement

hi again folks,

recommend one and the flash procedure?

I'm having problems where the phone is appearing like it has turned off but the only way to power it on is to remove the battery and click the power button.

this happens on battery & on charger and happens randomly. i've googled the problem and made some changes based on whaT i found ( cant think of exactly what i did but summet about the phone going into standby i disabled )

hoping the new rom might fix it. very very annoying.

As slicedpanman said go to www.xda-developers.com and go into the touch pro forum (i think they call it the Raphael forum actually- Raphael is HTC's code name for the Touch Pro).

If you do a search for your problem in that forum you're almost certain to find the solution (maybe it just needs a registry edit).
    Plenty of roms on xda-devs as well (as already mentioned).
    Just be careful and don't brick your device :)

Advertisement