Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

pay and display coming it at train stations

Options
  • 17-07-2008 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0717/rail.html

CIÉ says it will net around €1m from new pay and display parking charges at 37 stations on the greater Dublin rail network.

A spokesman for Iarnród Éireann says that the revenue it collects from commuters will be reinvested in parking spaces.

Commuters will be charged €2 a day or a discounted rate of €8 a week. Clamping will be introduced to enforce the new fees.

There are 4,500 parking spaces at the stations in question.

Most of the money collected from these will go to CIÉ with servivce provider Nationwide Controlled Parking Systems receiving a percentage for managing the car parks.

The stations affected are on lines from Athlone and Longford including the stations on the Portlaoise and Coolmine Arrow routes, the Dundalk line, the Dart routes, the Arklow and Gorey lines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

seems to be a trend, i'm going to have to put up with the same fee's to park at college come september

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I hope that the revenue collected will be put into parking as they say as some stages are ridculus for parking at the moment. people parking in all places and all different ways, mounting kerbs where they shouldnt be parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Fish in a barrel anyone. I seem to remember that a few years ago ppl were complaining that there wasnt enough parking at train stations. Iarnród Éireann guy just said that they didnt have to provide parking and that there was no land to spare for carparks around the stations. Nice solution!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Just another reason to drive all the way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

€1million a year CIE are getting out of it, that will allow purchase of acres of land and the building of new carparks over the 3 year term of the contract.....in Kazahkstan maybe, €3million will buy sweet FA in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    €1million a year CIE are getting out of it, that will allow purchase of acres of land and the building of new carparks over the 3 year term of the contract.....in Kazahkstan maybe, €3million will buy sweet FA in Ireland.

Yeah and is that before or after the car parking company take their pond of flesh?

Small amount of money for CIE, big hassle and expense for it's customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

4500 spaces x 52 weeks x €8 per week = €1,872,000

While not all spaces will be full all the time, sometimes a space will be used more than once in a day. So perhaps €2m total, Irish Rail are getting about half the money.

Hopefully it will deal with the fools who block people in and obstruct entrances.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In other countries the governement subsideses park & ride parking to incentivise cars off the road and people on to public transport.

But this is Ireland ...:D:D:D

In other news ...not to far from now you will have to pay for carbon credits because Ireland can't meet its Kyoto agreement figures ...so you will be made to pay twice.

Another prime example for coherent Irish traffic policy ...as long as the motorist ends up paying, it's allright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

peasant wrote: »
    In other countries the governement subsideses park & ride parking to incentivise cars off the road and people on to public transport.

But this is Ireland ...:D:D:D

Yep, It's like the M50 toll, which encourages you to drive in the city/suburbs rather than use the bypass. Any other country in Europe, you might have to pay tolls when traveling from city to city, but the ring roads around the cities are always free at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They just really dont give a sh**e about incouraging anyone to use public transport in this bloody country. And thats the way it will stay. They are a bunch of halfwits in office and off on a lovely summer break now so it wont concern them....lovely timing on the announcement!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

I am assuming that the 4500 spaces mentioned are at each of the stations in question.

I challenge anyone to name any that have that many spaces available.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

That's the total of the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Also they are employing clampers to monitor the car parks @ €180 for a removal :eek:

Damien360 wrote: »
    I am assuming that the 4500 spaces mentioned are at each of the stations in question. I challenge anyone to name any that have that many spaces available.
    Luas St. Stephen's Green. :p

The Irish Rail network has a total of 13,500 spaces. 4,500 of them are affected by the announcement.
    bigkev49 wrote: »
    Also they are employing clampers to monitor the car parks @ €180 for a removal :eek:
    What is the basis of your €180?

Victor wrote: »
    What is the basis of your €180?

CIE blokey on The Last Word this evening, it was definitely €180 because Matt Cooper did a double take when it was mentioned. Pretty steep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

These are stations at which they don't currently charge for parking?

What will commuters get for their money? Will their cars be watched by CCTV?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

this is in commuting and transport forum also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

bigkev49 wrote: »
    CIE blokey on The Last Word this evening, it was definitely €180 because Matt Cooper did a double take when it was mentioned. Pretty steep.

O, you mean that fake double-take/fake indignation thing he does when he wants to play devil's advocate over a particular issue:rolleyes:... Bit annoying that...

It doesn't sound much but over a year it's a substantial cost. I'd get annoyed if I thought about it but I'm just letting this float over my head 'cos there's **** all we can do about it.

As I've said, financial benefits not huge to IR once the parking company is paid and they're losing another smigin of goodwill/bad PR.

It's the service provider whos doing really well out of this... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

pburns wrote: »
    It's the service provider whos doing really well out of this... :cool:
    If the service provider can run the car parks, pay staff, provide for staff pensions etc, cover their other admin costs and still make a profit after they hand over €1 million to CIE why don't CIE do it themselves and make the extra profit?
    Another licence to print money being handed out to somebody...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

This, ladies and gentlemen, is yet another drive to make us reduce our carbon footprint and to use public transport. But to do that you must leave your polluting, smelly car somewhere unless you live next door to a railway station, and when you do that we will CHARGE you for it and crucify you if you don't pay. We will hand over control of you to a private Gestapo who will bleed you of every cent you have to get your car back if you default for more than ten seconds. But it is what we have to do to combat the threat of global warming, however much it hurts us to do it:o

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote: »
    If the service provider can run the car parks, pay staff, provide for staff pensions etc, cover their other admin costs and still make a profit after they hand over €1 million to CIE why don't CIE do it themselves and make the extra profit?
    Another licence to print money being handed out to somebody...
    No, I don't think you want that. CIÉ are often bad enough at doing what they do, never mind something that isn't a core function.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I wouldn't mind paying if it meant they had a security guard there, i've seen far too many cars burnt out in train stations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I'd imagine if they are taking €2 a day there's a contract being entered into for the service of parking your car and legally they would be then be responsible for the car and any damage caused to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Let me see.
    Today i drive to the station as early as possible to find a space. If im too late then i cant get a space and off i go to drive into town instead of getting the train.

Tomorrow i pay €8 for the weeks parking.
    I drive to the station as early as possible to find a space. If im too late then i cant get a space and off i go to drive into town instead of getting the train and ive wasted my money.

Sounds like madness to pay for the week in advance if you ask me.

Also just watch. Once people get over the shock and start paying the €2 a day IR will just double the price and say the same thing they say now to justify the initial charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    I'd imagine if they are taking €2 a day there's a contract being entered into for the service of parking your car and legally they would be then be responsible for the car and any damage caused to it.
    Have you ever parked anywhere that took responsibility for your vehicle?
    Neither have I.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In the last few weeks I have been using public transport to get to and from work - 2 busses each way. I often have to get taxis to meetings and then back again to the office.
    The journey takes longer than were I driving. I have to endure being out in the rain. I have to sit beside people who I normally wouldn't (one day last week either the woman in front or the fella behind had really bad breath that was rancid and the stink kept wafting around).
    Anyhow, despite these, the biggest surprise to me was the fact that the daily cost of just over €8 to use public transport was much more than what I would have had to pay for petrol were I to drive. The train fare would not be that much different and there would be an extra 30mins walking . Why would anyone who owns a car want to get out of it given that it could now cost them more for the inconvienence?
    Public transport providers should be encouraging people to use their services, not discourage them!

kbannon wrote: »
    .....Anyhow, despite these, the biggest surprise to me was the fact that the daily cost of just over €8 to use public transport was much more than what I would have had to pay for petrol were I to drive. The train fare would not be that much different and there would be an extra 30mins walking . Why would anyone who owns a car want to get out of it given that it could now cost them more for the inconvienence?

I was also delighted last year when dublin bus increased the fair on the route which takes me to college and it finally made economic sense to bring my car into college. No more queing beside smelly weirdoes for any amount of time at the bus stop then having to sit beside said smelly weirdoes on the bus and paying more than the cost to drive for the privelege.

However, I totally encourage people to use public transport, frees up space on the road for me.:D

Advertisement