Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the best FPS games for pc..

Options
  • 17-07-2008 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Can someone please tell me what are the best FPS games that don't need flash player,for the OS XP?
    thanx

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Flash player? You dont need flash player for many games, unless you are talking about web based ones. As for the best FPS's on the pc, i'd say the Half Life series are the clear winners there. Also, Call of Duty 4, Farcry, Deus Ex, System Shock 2 (although they are more FPS/RPG), and many many others that i cant think of right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Perrin

Half life is definately my fav fps

I haven't played a pc game in ages though
    Are they makin half life 3?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Depends what you are into.

Popular online FPS games would include Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142, Counter Strike Source, Team Fortress 2, Day of Defeat Source, Call of Duty 4.

Deathmatch style games like the Quake and Unreal Tournament series seemed to have declined in popularity as all thats remains is small online communitys in each. Though Quake Live a version of Quake III run in your web browser might rekindle some interest when its released soon.

If your looking for a single player experience again any of the Call of Duty series on PC are good, the Half Life series is excellent although the original looks abit old now. The beautiful Far Cry and Crysis have attracted mixed opinon on these forums but I reckon are worth a play. Ditto Doom III which relies heavily on atmosphere to distract you from the repetition and scripted gameplay. The original Medal of Honor: Allied Assault is worth a look before its sequels descended into mediocrity. FEAR is pretty good although it too suffers from repetition it holds steady thanks to great Slo-Mo style fire fights. Stay away from its expansions though. Stalker is pretty good open ended FPS but suffers from a good few bugs. The Brothers in Arms series is pretty solid if unspectacular WWII series of games. Alien Vs Predator is a great game with great atmosphere as well.

Deus Ex is my personal favourite game of all time is mostly an FPS at heart but its alot of other thing too and is a truely special game. Its scaled backed sequel Deus Ex: Invisible war is good but no where up to the standard of the original.

The spirtual predecessor to Deus Ex is the highly regarded System Shock 2 but I can't comment on it personnaly as I have only played it breifly.

The spirtual sucessor to System Shock 2 is the excellent Bioshock.

If you want a more tactical FPS shooter you could try the Rainbow 6 (older incarnations of the R6 series are more tactical while the newer games are more arcadey in nature), Swat series or the Ghost Recon series. But my personal recommendation is the Operation Flashpoint series. A bit long in the tooth graphically but still they remain fantastic games. Its developers have released a sort of semi sequel called Armed Assault that requires a beefy system and lot of patches to run properly.

If you want something different from the FPS genre you could try Portal or the Theif series.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Counter Strike, CoD 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

serious sam the second encounter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

I've put a silly amount of hours into this game. It's free, btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Paulo Nuno

A friend of mine can't play some games cause he hasn't flash player,one of these games
    being splintercell pandora tomorrow,
    since he has no acess to broadband he never knows for sure what to buy.
    I will check those games for him,
    and do you know of any solution for his dilema?
    thanx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

you download the latest flash player and burn it to cd or put it on a memory stick and give it to him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Duke Nukem 3D FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Call of duty 1,2, 3 ,no 4 needs a dual core pc 2gig ram.HALF life 1,2 unreal tournament 2004 has great bots and free mods and maps.gamevideos.com has reviews of most games back to 2004.Battlefield 2 and cod4 have good online maps.halo 1 and 2, no 2 needs vista to run. i really enjoyed splinter cell double agent ,i don,t know if its out on pc format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Azza wrote: »
    The spirtual sucessor to System Shock 2 is the excellent Bioshock.

Bwahahahaha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You owe it to yourself to give Stalker a go.

Sure, it's a bit rough around the edges, but it's one of the most immersive FPS games I've ever seen. It beats the pants off Doom 3 (and most other shooters) in the nerves department because where all Doom 3 had up its sleeve was a monster jumping out at you from the dark (which was so bloody predictable you could avoid half the firefights by just NOT PICKING UP THINGS), Stalker successfully creates the feel that you are in a very hostile place, and you're all alone with whatever you can scavenge off your enemies. Weapons wear out, wild animals hunt you down, and crazy radioactive anomalies screw around with you for the laugh until nowhere is really all that safe. I swear, some of the later underground areas were the equal of Thief 3's Shalebridge Cradle for sheer oppressive pant-wetting.

If you have issues with "rough" games, then wait until Clear Sky comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

+1 for Deus Ex.
    Get it for a tenner or so, download the High Definition Texture pack, install some mods, get some good headphones, lose a week or 2 of your life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Paulo Nuno wrote:
    A friend of mine can't play some games cause he hasn't flash player,one of these games
    being splintercell pandora tomorrow,
    since he has no acess to broadband he never knows for sure what to buy.
    I will check those games for him,
    and do you know of any solution for his dilema?
    thanx
    As Kiith said in the second post, you don't need flash player to play proper games. So try and confirm exactly what the issue is.
    Also Pandora Tomorrow is quite an old game so if his machine can't play that it's unlikely it'll be able to play a lot of the other games listed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

painkiller is awesome for pick up and play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Half Life. Lock thread, kthxbai.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Haha, +1 Half Life.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Natural selection

http://www.natural-selection.org/

Science and Industry

http://si.planethalflife.gamespy.com/

Both online Half life 1 mods !

Natural selection is a blend of RTS and FPS in a Sci-fi Marines vs Aliens setting

Science and Industry is like team deathmatch with a difference, you need to capture scientists from the other persons base to speed up your reasearch for whatever the team votes on like bionics, weapons, exploding briefcases... lots of crazy ****.

Forgot one more !

Neocron 2 www.neocron.com/
    Best MMO FPS

PvP video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Paulo Nuno

Thanx a lot for your help.
    much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Hope ye mean Half Life 1 not 2. Second ones very overrated. The weapons were rubbish compared to the first one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Hope ye mean Half Life 1 not 2. Second ones very overrated. The weapons were rubbish compared to the first one.

you're wrong and you're a grotesquely ugly freak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

The weapons were rubbish compared to the first one.
    Two words: Grav gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i have played HL,CoD,bioshock,Gears of war,i say CoD (classsic warfare type) and gears (scifi action) got my heart

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

-All the half life games
    -Quake 4
    -Counter strike
    -Battlefield 2
    -Crysis
    -F.E.A.R
    -Doom 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

For multiplayer madness, Unreal Tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

Call Of Duty 4, BioShock, Oblivion, Gears Of War to name but a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Zillah wrote: »
    Bwahahahaha!
    glad i'm not the only one to pick up on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DeathMachine

Soldier of Fortune 2 was pretty crap SP but it has brilliant multiplayer. Any of the Call of Duty games, from the original through 4; though 4 is definitely the most boring in terms of SP play in my opinion, but I am biased towards WW2 titles. Bioshock I found great to a point, after a few hours it all becomes very bland and boring. Boiling Point was a buggy as hell but hugely promising game and it is fun to play; definitely worth a look. Half Life, needs no explanation, both stellar games, the first one might look dated but the storyline and atmosphere are still top notch...Operation Flashpoint, great realistic game, but only for some....Quake IV, mindless blasting, wouldn't bother recommending Quake II as it's a bit too old, lacking in immersive storyline, and regardless, they're practically the same game...Unreal Tournament original, miles better then the later incarnations, though those are also worthy of a mention....Red Faction, might be old, but strangely compelling, the GeoMod is still entertaining to this day....Vietcong and Vietcong 2, best Vietnam FPS titles, really awesome....Kingpin, again, a little older but still great fun...Star Wars Jedi Knight II is brilliant especially if you like Star Wars....Postal 2 is one of my favourite FPS games ever, somewhat best described as an FPS GTA.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

serious sam 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

BF 2142.. not everyone's cup of tea I know, but I just can't help going back over and over again..

Advertisement