Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying with a cast on?

• 17-07-2008 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

My brother and I are due to fly to Riga enroute to Helsinki for Cork City's second leg of their UEFA Cup clash with FK Haka but unfortunately he's a broken wrist at the moment and it's in plaster. It has been for about a month at this stage now and there is a chance it may be taken off the day before we fly out.

However if it's not, does anyone think there'll be a problem with him flying?

I think he'll be fine cos people often break bones on hols and fly home but just looking for a bit of reassurance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

im no doctor, but as far as I know, you'll need to get the cast 'split' before flying, to allow it to expand/contract in the pressurised cabin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Are you flying with Ryanair??
    From thier website:
    All passengers travelling with broken limbs in plaster are required to travel with a medical certificate.

Passengers traveling with upper limbs in cast, waist and above, will only require one seat to travel.

Adult passengers travelling with lower limbs in a cast or full leg plaster, must purchase three seats in total, per journey, to travel. This will enable the leg to be elevated during the flight and reduce swelling.

Passengers travelling with lower leg in plaster, below the knee only, will only require one seat.

If a plaster cast has been fitted on any limb for less than 48 hours then the cast needs to be split (the split need to run along the entire length of the cast) If the plaster cast been fitted for more than 48 hours there is no requirement for the cast to be split. This is applicable for both plaster of paris and resin casts.

A medical certificate confirming fitness to fly will be required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Flying with AirBaltic and then Aer Lingus coming home.

Thanks for the replies lads....seems as if he'll be ok but will need to shell out to see the doctor to get a cert just in case....

Advertisement