Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lame noob hosting questions!! .... ?

Options
  • 17-07-2008 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so i can create websites in java, connect them to databases, manipulate data and all that, so i decided to create a website just for my portfolio, It uses java (jsp pages and java server faces) and oracle xe as a database. It works fine when I run it my laptop on tomcat.

thing is I have no hosting knowledge at all, and I want to get it running online, I have bought a basic VPS hosting package and a domain name but now I'm totally clueless as to how to get it working.

Anyone any help or can anyone even point me in the right direction to somewhere that can show me what to do?

Thanks

Donal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Do I need to buy CPanel to be able to use the server?

Is there a freeware version of CPanel?

Also being trying to use a ftp program to connect to the site but it just wont connect.

also I read that the files should be in a /var/www folder but cant find that folder on my server, the error html file is found in /inetpub/rootwww

google is useless at answering any of my questions so help is really appreciatted, can pay a small bit if someone is willing to help me set it up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

These are fairly generic hosting questions so I'll guess its ok to answer .. ? (aidan ?? ) And as long as the hosting companies aren't mentions

Have you set up FTP access on your system ?

Have you asked any of these questions of your hosting company ?

They may have a forum forum.hostingcompany...com... or similar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Which linux distro are you using?

You might not have ftp installed or enabled, but if you have ssh access you can use SCP to transfer files in the interim

Are you planning on using tomcat with apache or tomcat by itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

These are fairly generic hosting questions so I'll guess its ok to answer .. ? (aidan ?? )
    As long as discussion doesn't get provider specific, I have no problem with it. If anything needs to be sorted out that way, the questions should be directed to the providrs helpdesk.

Advertisement