Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Test on sat

Options
  • 17-07-2008 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hey
    I just got a cancellation on monday and my test is saturday morning (in finglas sgs- I don't know finglas at all :confused:). I had a 2 hour pre test on tuesday, and he said my only real downfall is my love of the clutch aka coasting! I cannot seem to kick the habit. I also have another hours lesson just before the test.

Its my first time sitting the test.
    any advice?
    he gave me a page with 32 questions to learn and said learn the signs and hand signals- is this enough?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

irishneady wrote: »
    he gave me a page with 32 questions to learn and said learn the signs and hand signals- is this enough?

Yes, it is enough for the aural question part of the test. Id use the rules of the road book and look up every sign and hand signal, and make sure you know them. I was pointed a blue sign with a white "H" and just completely blanked. (Duh, Hospital!)

If possible, get out to the finglas test centre tonight and tomorow if you can and have a drive around. Also ask the pre-test instructor to take you on common testing routes in the area. some people on here may also be able to tell you the routes they took.

Its a very good idea to take the test directly after a lesson/pretest too, it will get you used to having a someone in the car that you are not chatting to.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭irishneady

I don't have anyone to bring me out around the routes.

Oh one question
    the hand signal for turning left- say you are driving - do you turn your hand forward or backward?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jodyanne

Turning left - your hand goes forward.

I just did my test in Finglas SGS this morning. You will probably be brought into the housing estate behind it (Casement Park). I would just say to really take it easy going over the speed bumps - a lot of them are the very harsh kind that feel like you're driving over a brick.

oh did u pass? I want details - did u do it with SGS? what did they ask you?
    I was brought around housing estaes during pre - test- yes very harsh bumps indeed. Like driving up onto a kerb - not that I want to be doing that lol.

Yup, I passed - very happy this evening!

They asked me word for word some of the questions off that sheet you have, like when can you overtake on the left, three circumstances when you would dip your lights. Signs - clearway, pedestrianised street, hospital, few others. Then all the usual checks under the bonnet and on the secondary controls and all the hand signals.

I was nervous about the reverse and turnabout and found the video tutorials at www.drivingtesttips.ie very useful.

Other than that, there's just lots of kids and general busy life going on in that housing estate but if you keep your eyes peeled you'll be grand.

I used to have a bit of problem with coasting. For me, it was because I was selecting a lower gear before I lowered my speed enough so I delayed lifting up off the clutch until the speed matched the gear, if you know what I mean. To stop it, I checked my speedometer before changing gear for a bit (under 30 miles, 3rd; under 20 miles 2nd) and found it really helped.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement

yep thats like me, selecting gear before it matches correct speed so car jumps. oh god I am so nervous. I haven't sat one ever and have been driving 5 years!:eek:

I used to think I was good at reversing around the corner until I done a pre test lol. Oh cripes.
    did the tester have a PDA thing or a sheet for grading you? did he chat to you during it?

I actually did the test twice there with two different testers (one six weeks ago, one yesterday). Both were very friendly but the one yesterday was particularly chatty and tried to make it as un-intimidating as possible. He didn't realise I was pregnant (thought it was obvious, I'm 6 and a half months!) and was horrified when I told him afterwards because he said he wouldn't have made me lift the bonnet if he'd known! Very sweet man.

I failed the first time because a/ I let myself get too nervous and b/ when I made a small mistake, I allowed it to affect my driving for the rest of the test. This time I just said to myself, for 25 minutes I am only going to concentrate on this and I'm not going to let any worries or negative thoughts get in the way. It seemed to work.

For the reverse - even if you take it a bit wide, if you keep looking around you and stay aware of everything then the worst you can get is a grade 2 for competency and sure you can have 8 of them! Don't let it ruin the rest of your test, you're probably very competent in general and you need to let them see that.

Just get your foot up off that clutch before you take a corner! :)

Again, best of luck.

PS - yes, it was a PDA thing, they were both very discreet about marking it. Try to ignore what they're doing it'll only put you off and anyway, they might be just marking a grade 1 which doesn't even count.

Thanks so much for all your help. I fell asleep tryingn to learn the rules and signals last night. This time tommorow I will be waiting at test centre. Arrggg! ok PMA PMA PMA.

I am going to get new wipers later on as if it raining the ones I have are ok but make a bit of noise, don't wanna be annoying them with noisy wipers.

YOu must be delighted....fair play to you. Maybe I could stuff a little pillow up my jumper, would it help???? :p

Maybe I could stuff a little pillow up my jumper, would it help???? :p

Only if it doesn't slip out halfway through - try explaining that :)

I passsedddd yipppeee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I passsedddd yipppeee
    Congrats - how did it go?

well I had a female tester, she asked some questions - when to use dipped headlights, when can you overtake on left, how to recognise zebra crossing at night, and I can't remember the other questions, think there was one or 2 more, then me some signs (sorry I can't remember which) then pointed to all the roadwork signs and asked when these would be used.

then we went out and she checked lights working and all in order. Done hand signals. then she got in the car and said due to high winds we wouldn't be opening the bonnet and doing that part so instead she will be asking some questions. Asked how to do tyre check and to ensure they are safe for roads, if I was on my own at night how would i check my lights are all working without getting out of the car, and how would I know if my indicator lights need replacing.

Then off we drove and to be honest it's a bit of a blur. Had to do 3 point turn on a very narrow road (and I drive a Passat :confused:), I done it in 4, prob might have managed in 3 but better to be safe then sorry. my reverse around the corner wasn't too bad. I don't remember doing a hill start in fact I don't think I did one. Ermmm I dunno what else to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Had to do 3 point turn on a very narrow road (and I drive a Passat :confused:), I done it in 4, prob might have managed in 3 but better to be safe then sorry
    :confused: The turnabout can only be completed in an odd number of manoeuvres - 3,5,7,9,etc.

Did you reverse away from it and for the remainder of the test? :D

Really? lol. well I just checked my thing and I have no faults for that so maybe it was 5? trying to picture it in my head. towards the other side, reversed, towards, reverse? and then is the driving off bit included?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Congratulations, I bet you're still on a high. Yep, 5 point turn, but thats totally acceptable. Thanks for your helpful and informative posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

well I had a female tester, she asked some questions - when to use dipped headlights, when can you overtake on left, how to recognise zebra crossing at night, and I can't remember the other questions, think there was one or 2 more, then me some signs (sorry I can't remember which) then pointed to all the roadwork signs and asked when these would be used.

then we went out and she checked lights working and all in order. Done hand signals. then she got in the car and said due to high winds we wouldn't be opening the bonnet and doing that part so instead she will be asking some questions. Asked how to do tyre check and to ensure they are safe for roads, if I was on my own at night how would i check my lights are all working without getting out of the car, and how would I know if my indicator lights need replacing.

Then off we drove and to be honest it's a bit of a blur. Had to do 3 point turn on a very narrow road (and I drive a Passat :confused:), I done it in 4, prob might have managed in 3 but better to be safe then sorry. my reverse around the corner wasn't too bad. I don't remember doing a hill start in fact I don't think I did one. Ermmm I dunno what else to say.
    Sounds like it wasn't too bad of a test. As for the hill start - my Mam a driving test veteran (passed 3rd time!) said it's generally not a hill more of an incline that would cause the car to roll backwards (she said it's done just after the handsignals). I'm after getting a boost of confidence for my upcoming test as I was able to answer the above without knowing studying the question :D

ah cool well good luck in yours. I am sure it'll be fine. when is it and where?

congrats btw!

Advertisement