Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Post

• 17-07-2008 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I was very unsure which forum to post this in, but basically I have an issue with An Post. Basically I applied as a mature student for a course on the Cao. I got accepted but the letter notifying me of my offer arrived later then the reply date for accepting my offer, basically due to late delivery by An post. My college place is now uncertain because of this.

Is there anyway of tracking the letter back or proving it was delivered late?

If this is the wrong forum for this directing me to a more relevant forum would be much appreciated...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Unless it was registered post, there's nothing you can do. you could lodge a complaint with An Post about the delay, but if it's non-registered, the outcome will probably consist of an apology and stats point out how 95% of the post gets through on time, little help to you.

Have you contacted the CAO or the college yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

Back in the day I had a very similar situation albeit involving the UK's system which is slightly different to the CAO system (mainly in that you accept a place prior to sitting the leaving cert).

In my case, the letter offering me a place arrived a full 6 weeks after the acceptance date due to the backlog of an Irish postal strike. Worst still, I had already accepted a different place after that offer came through just before the strike hit.

As it turned out, I rang the college and explained the situation and they arranged an acceptance of its place and canceling the previously accepted place, all of which was highly unorthodox and most welcome.

The interesting part was the whole debacle happened on the afternoon of the English paper 1 (day 1 of my leaving cert marathon) and once sorted out took all the pressure of the actual exams as the requirement in the new offer was terribly easy to achieve.....

Anyhoo, If you give the CAO a ring and explain your situation they may accommodate you as these systems always have a bit of wriggle room built into them and you might be just dandy.

Best of Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You can accept offers online can't you??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Not looking too good this. You can't do much. You could ask the CAO for a certificate of posting. It would be interesting to see what they said.

(The CAO advise applicants to get a cert when sending stuff in, so no doubt they always get certs themselves.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

RekcaH wrote: »
    I was very unsure which forum to post this in, but basically I have an issue with An Post. Basically I applied as a mature student for a course on the Cao. I got accepted but the letter notifying me of my offer arrived later then the reply date for accepting my offer, basically due to late delivery by An post. My college place is now uncertain because of this.

Is there anyway of tracking the letter back or proving it was delivered late?

If this is the wrong forum for this directing me to a more relevant forum would be much appreciated...

The postmark on the envelope.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The postmark does not indicate the date of delivery.

Contact the CAO and the college as soon as possible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I know that, but it will indicate the date it was posted/processed.

Therefore showing if it was posted late, or the delay between postage and delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If it was bulk-mailed, it won't have an an post postmark. At best it will have a frank, which tells you nothing for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

a frank mark will merely tell you the date it was franked, not the date it was posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

If all else fails try the ombudsmans office ,they tend to see things in a natural justice way ,good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement