Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batch file help

Options
  • 17-07-2008 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,
    Not sure if tis is the right place but I need some helkp with a batch.

I m attempting to create a silent install of software call Monarch.

Nopw nothing speciral about the software expcept it needs a unique user name enter during installation.

I a hoping to use each PC s name as the user name during the install but
    to have the program pick up the computer name and enter it into the field.

I ve written a batch file to lainch the program and run it silently and to user %COMPUTERNAME% to retrieve each PC's name but how to get that into the correct field is wrecking my head.

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

You need to consult the software maker / documentation on how to pass the computer name to them.. i.e. via command line switch / config file.. Once you know that then its quite easy. e.g. for command line it would be a simple as running the following in a batch file "install /computer_name=%COMPUTERNAME%"

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

Not sure if this is the same s/w
    http://www.monarchforums.com/showthread.php?t=276&highlight=install+silent

But, It gives a good overview of the install shield app thats used alot and the answer files used (each line in a text file is the answer to each step in the install process), check the install shield site for using answer files.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Thanks for the link,
    Works up to a point.

Unfortunaltetly it inputs %COMPUTERNAME% rather than the actual comptuer name.

Still working on it.

Advertisement