Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Park & ride fares

Options
  • 17-07-2008 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

I share a view (I'm sure with many) that park & ride facilities couple with
    efficient train/bus public & private transport in/out of the major cities is a key to tackling gridlock, pollution, etc.
    On the one hand I'd welcome the announcement today:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0717/breaking34.htm

If paying a sum for parking helps the upkeep and broadening of park-and-ride facilities (and security,etc) then that's fairly reasonable...

However, I agree strongly with one of those quoted within that report that these charges should be tax deductable particularly for employees. People who make an effort to use public transport should be rewarded. Otherwise, this sort of measure can be only seen (cynically or not) as another sneaky indirect tax (albeit by a state company rather than by a department in the public service).
    If the Greens aren't proactive in ensuring that these extra charges levied have some kind of tax offsetting benefit to the end-user then I'd questoin the Greens credentials for being in Government and facilitating people who use public transport.

Any other views? supportive or contrary welcomed ..
    -ifc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Its certainly frustrating that you can get a tax break for buying an annual ticket and now those savings are all gone due to the introduction of pay parking

I have a particular problem with bringing in pay parking at the station I use (Hazelhatch) as it is in the middle of nowhere. Most people wanting to use it will have to drive there.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ifconfig wrote: »
    However, I agree strongly with one of those quoted within that report that these charges should be tax deductable particularly for employees.
    So tax credits for rich people to park their cars?

I think the emphasis is wrong - charge for parking, but use the income to provide lower fare feeder buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

ifconfig wrote: »
    If the Greens aren't proactive in ensuring that these extra charges levied have some kind of tax offsetting benefit to the end-user then I'd questoin the Greens credentials for being in Government and facilitating people who use public transport.

Don't hold your breath. The greens in Governement have been underwhelming
    (and I'm speaking as an ex member of the party).

Advertisement