Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you see Broadband in 5 years time

Options
  • 17-07-2008 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

What speeds do you think we will be able to get and at what price.

What speed 50 votes

25MB
    0% 0 votes
    50MB
    54% 27 votes
    100MB
    30% 15 votes
    Faster??
    16% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

No option for 8mb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

To be completely honest, I can't see the masses being able to avail of anything above about 8Mbps, and the price will probably be more than what we pay now.

For those lucky enough to be able to avail of cable, wireless and LLU alternatives (very few), I can't see it going much faster than what's currently available without new technologies (fibre?). I'm not aware of any major plan to roll out FTTH, so I can't see that happening in the next 5 years. Ryan's National Broadband Scheming will do nothing.

No option for 8mb?

Or less?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Hopefully fibre at 20-100Mb in urban areas.

jor el wrote: »
    Or less?

I guess I'm the optimistic type.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Or less?

Well, with NTL doing 20mb already this would be odd to say the least

Unless you were trying to be witty, well done if so

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

DSL is pretty much at the limit (in availability and speed), advances will be in Wireless, Cable/HFC, fibre.

Comreg needs to make more spectrum available and do national licences instead of circles for higher speed and more users in some areas. But they know that, presumably busy planning.

Thing is, some of us can get insane speeds and others terrible. So on average, where will we be in 5 years time? Including those able to choose UPC or a fast BB provider.

I'd say on average, around 8mb. That's being optimistic though (imo).

edit: this was a reply to meditraitor

Well, with NTL doing 20mb already this would be odd to say the least

Unless you were trying to be witty, well done if so

NTL is only available to a small percentage of the population. I take the question to be what speeds will be generally available to the masses, and not, what will 6 people who can afford to pay 300euro a month be getting. So, I can't see there being anything greater than 8Mbps being available to the great unwashed, for at least 5-10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I can see upc hitting speeds of between 40-50mb/s and dsl achieving average speeds of 12mb/s business' will be able to avail of much heftier speeds but the general masses are going to depend on the government providing significant tax incentives to eircom to lay fiber going to be a long time before that happens folks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

40/50mbps would be great but i think people will have the same issues with their 1-12mb broadband in 5 and 10 years time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

NTL is only available to a small percentage of the population.

Does anyone have a figure on what percentage of the population? I suspect it's more than small, although certainly a minority of households.

Possibly their limit is about 1/3rd of households.

Not every part of cable does BB yet

Not sure of ratio of passed houses vs subscriptions.

They have about 470k TV subs, but that inculdes maybe 180k MMDS, who can't get BB from UPC/NTL as it is receive only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

No option for dial-up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

From this Irish Times article..
    Separately, UPC, which operates the Chorus and NTL cable TV networks, will offer 20Mbit/sec broadband from July 1st at a cost of €40 a month. It will be available to 422,000 homes in Dublin, Galway, Waterford, Limerick, Cork and some other major towns.

How many homes in the state? ~1m?

Moriarty wrote: »
    From this Irish Times article..

How many homes in the state? ~1m?

That's quite a lot now. I would imagine that there's between 1 and 1.5M homes in the country. Anyone know how many DSL capable lines there are?

http://www.cso.ie/statistics/numprivhseholds.htm
    It's 1,469,521 households.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

To be completely honest, I can't see the masses being able to avail of anything above about 8Mbps, and the price will probably be more than what we pay now.

Agreed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

In 5 years time i'd imagine things will have hardly changed from what we have today. The Citys and Large towns will have even greater choice of some extremely fast broadband at great prices (UPC Cable, Smart, Fibre etc) while us poor unfortunates outside the urban areas will still be left on Eircom and its resellers with 8meg on average and even if higher speeds are available many of the lines still in their current state will not be good enough to offer the higher speeds towards 24meg due to line quality and distance from exchange. Prices will be very similar to what we have today and there will still be download limits in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think we will see the most significant advancements in wireless broadband with new technologies and micro-cells deployments taking a lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

In Ireland in 5 years time i see it completely unchanged apart from those living in cities, and also the situation that if you get the max broadband available to you but you have a crap line youre screwed

In more mature countries, 20Mb average, 50Mb in cities

I doubt we'll be seeing 20Mb wireless bb in the next 5 years, however in maybe 8 years i would see 30-40Mb wireless being available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I'd be happy with my 3mb connection if the bloody thing didn't go slow at peak times due to contention :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you look at the history of copper communications technology over the last 10-15 years, they said ISDN was the best you could hope for way back when until someone came up with something better.

then DSL came along and that was the best thing possible, but then someone tweaked that to make it more effective with RADSL and ADSL2 etc.

who know's maybe in 5 years time ADSL4 will have come along and allowed 24mbps up to 15km from the exchange, or some new wifi technology or 4G mobile data rates will be rolling out to allow you 100mb wireless access or something clever like that.

who saw 3.6mbps broadband and wifi on your mobile phone coming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

dsl the same 8 megs + - once eircon got the power

cable will probably double , hopefully by then the majority will be able to get cable or fibre , just a dream tho:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

An Australian researcher, who discovered a way to make ADSL broadband connections up to 100 times faster, has been offered a job in Silicon Valley in the US to continue his research.

Dr John Papandriopoulos, the 29-year-old research fellow of University of Melbourne, has developed an algorithm to reduce the electromagnetic interference that slows down ADSL connections.

The Channel Register has posted Dr Papandriopoulos’s explanation of his research:

“We formulate a (standard) model for how DSLs attain their data-rate, considering crosstalk interference effects. We exploit the fact that interference varies across the frequency spectrum, and that if we are clever about the way in which we allocate transmission power amongst the various frequency bands, we can manage the interference between (strongly) coupled lines. For example, one user that interferes strongly with others within a band may be “turned off” within that band to avoid damaging the other lines, consequently raising the overall network rate.”

Dr Papandriopoulos will be joining a Silicon Valley start-up company, ASSIA, which is developing ways to optimize the performance of DSL networks. Together with him is Stanford Professor John Cioffi, who developed the computer chips inside the first DSL modem.

According to SMH, Dr Papandriopoulos is in the process of assigning the intellectual property for his invention to the university, but he stands to receive significant royalties from any licensing agreements.

If this technology is successfully commercialized, the DSL broadband speed ceiling will be closer to 100Mbps. Dr Papandriopoulos expects that with licensed vendors, the technology could be implemented by internet providers around the world within two or three years.
    StatCounter - Free Web Tracker and Counter

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

AHA!

see, told ya. :p

Over hyped. And the limit beyond 1.5km is the cable response, not cross talk. Only applies with 1km and realistically a x4 improvement. x100 is fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I still see broadband as being a hell of alot better in every other country accept our own.

I predict that even south africa's broadband structure will outshine our ageing DSL network...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭John mac

i very much doubt that every one that wants it will be able to access 25Mb.
    for a reasonable cost. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

8Mb will be standard to the majority of us in the country.. there'll be better speeds in cities and major towns, don't think the price will drop too much either. Also, better wireless speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I would Imagine 24mbit available to most of the country and 75-100mbit in the cities. As it is magnet have started providing 50mbit in some limited parts of Dublin and UPC should be capable of doing similar speeds without too much trouble. Five years is a hell of a long time in broadband even in a country where things move as slow as Ireland. Remember that it is not much longer than 5 years ago that Eircom first started enabling exchanges for broadband.

Advertisement