Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you see Broadband in 5 years time

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i know we're a long way behind a lot of the world when it comes to broadband, but historically speaking we're only about 5 years behind the UK, so it's easy enough to see where we could be.

i know everyone goes on about the eircom monopoly but i can't see the EU allowng that to continue for much longer and i've already seen stuff in the news about EU wide broadband legislation which would go a long way to re-dressing the balance somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

There will come a point in the near future where the copper in the lines is worth more than rolling out fibre across the network. At that point we will see fibre rolled out everywhere.

Plus with emerging new tech like wireless fixed line BB will have to move to fibre to have any chance. BT are already planning to move the entire network over to fibre by 2020. Prob wont happen by then but they have started the ball moving at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

There will come a point in the near future where the copper in the lines is worth more than rolling out fibre across the network. At that point we will see fibre rolled out everywhere.

Plus with emerging new tech like wireless fixed line BB will have to move to fibre to have any chance. BT are already planning to move the entire network over to fibre by 2020. Prob wont happen by then but they have started the ball moving at least.
    I'm pretty sure that it is already cheaper to put fiber in than a normal phoneline because of the costs of the metal itself.

vibe666 wrote: »
    i know we're a long way behind a lot of the world when it comes to broadband, but historically speaking we're only about 5 years behind the UK, so it's easy enough to see where we could be.

i know everyone goes on about the eircom monopoly but i can't see the EU allowng that to continue for much longer and i've already seen stuff in the news about EU wide broadband legislation which would go a long way to re-dressing the balance somewhat.

Thats not right at all. We aren't that far behind the UK. BT in the UK only provide 8mbit now and have since mid 2006, granted Eircom are only now going up to 8mbit (a little less than 8). We are at worst estimate 2 years behind the UK in terms of speed and in the case of broadband in the cities not much behind them at all. I'm not saying that we aren't far behind the rest of the world but I'm sick of people using the UK as an example of how far we are behind without knowing the facts of broadband speeds there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Availabilty is better there, but due to contention many people get 1/4 to 1/3rd the DSL package they pay for. Speeds on DSL for the majority are similar or lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

watty wrote: »

They have about 470k TV subs, but that inculdes maybe 180k MMDS, who can't get BB from UPC/NTL as it is receive only.

Hi Watty, i know you're a guru in these matters but just on the above comment, I have MMDS and had NTL out few weeks back and was asking them about MMDS as i've read comments, i think from you that it is going to be decom'd in the future?..anyway they said no way and that they were testing broadband 20Mb on it in Drogeheda, not an issue for me as have BT BB but was just asking out of curiosity. So is it not possible to get BB on MMDS?

Sorry for off topic slightly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Thats not right at all. We aren't that far behind the UK. BT in the UK only provide 8mbit now and have since mid 2006, granted Eircom are only now going up to 8mbit (a little less than 8). We are at worst estimate 2 years behind the UK in terms of speed and in the case of broadband in the cities not much behind them at all. I'm not saying that we aren't far behind the rest of the world but I'm sick of people using the UK as an example of how far we are behind without knowing the facts of broadband speeds there.
    lots of urban areas in the UK have 25mbit access and some are already trialling 100mbit connection and even BT has announced a £1.5 billion investment and plans to have 10 million homes connected to 100mbit in 4 years time.

trust me, we are plenty far behind the UK. :P

vibe666 wrote: »
    lots of urban areas in the UK have 25mbit access and some are already trialling 100mbit connection and even BT has announced a £1.5 billion investment and plans to have 10 million homes connected to 100mbit in 4 years time.

trust me, we are plenty far behind the UK. :P

24mbit is max I can find for residential in the UK which definitely isn't 5 years ahead of the 20mbit UPC provide here.

Trials mean sweet **** all really, if they aren't available to customers and they are not a product accessible to the public. If they aren't available to customers in the UK then how could we possibly be behind them because of it.

Same goes for announcements really, unless its available to customers we can't be behind them because of it. Lets not forget our beloved Eircom with this announcement in 2006 that was supposed to give half the country 25mbit in 2007 that completely evaporated into thin air.
    watty wrote: »
    Availabilty is better there, but due to contention many people get 1/4 to 1/3rd the DSL package they pay for. Speeds on DSL for the majority are similar or lower.
    Thats very true Watty but generally the speeds are really not 5 years ahead of us like he was claiming.

Bulmers wrote: »
    Hi Watty, i know you're a guru in these matters but just on the above comment, I have MMDS and had NTL out few weeks back and was asking them about MMDS as i've read comments, i think from you that it is going to be decom'd in the future?..anyway they said no way and that they were testing broadband 20Mb on it in Drogeheda, not an issue for me as have BT BB but was just asking out of curiosity. So is it not possible to get BB on MMDS?

Sorry for off topic slightly

No. The BB would be via a separate wireless system. However you would get one bill. It may indeed be available in the future. However, Ireland unilaterally used 2.5GHz/2.6Ghz for MMDS and elsewhere in Europe it has a different assignment. Comreg already reduced the allocation partly because of this.

Thats very true Watty but generally the speeds are really not 5 years ahead of us like he was claiming.

Indeed it's only availability, not speed. the 1/4 and 1/3rd refers to UK. Here on Fixed Broadband of 1Mbps to 20Mbps most users get close to the package speeds. On average, in Ireland if you can actually get broadband , the speeds are better than the UK.

If you are more than 2km from an exchange, the only ways you will 10Mbps or higher is Cable, Fibre or Metro. Obviously there is a UK Market especially outside cable areas for Metro as UK DSL while, widely available is not on average very fast at all.

But BT in UK now has a real plan for fibre deployment for users and we don't. We only have backhaul fibre plans & deployments apart from a small number of newer housing developments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement