Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stripped Stem Threads

Options
  • 17-07-2008 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭

OK, well I've overtightened one of the two bolts on my stem (where it attaches to the fork steerer) and stripped the threads- I presume this is not very safe to cycle now? Right?

Seems good and tight with just the lower bolt but I would be foolish to cycle it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I'd cycle it to the shop for another one, but I wouldn't go down from Sally gap....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Hardly worth the risk for the price of a stem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

You've just prompted me to seriously look at buying a torque wrench. I can get a 5-25n wrench for about €55. This good?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It wasn't the price of a stem, it was that I was heading out to meet short_circuit, and then the rest of them, in under 5 minutes! Obviously I'll replace the stem! Cycled my tourer in the end, was a bit late but all went well in the end. I'll have to find somewhere doing reasonably priced decent stems before Saturday- any suggestions? I would not be averse to spending a bit and getting down to a ~100g stem, something like a FSA OS-99- just had planned to this on eBay rather than in Dublin.

Hungrycol- I will certainly be getting a torque wrench after this incident. CRC have the Park Tool one for £30.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭jefferson73

This site and forum very useful:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=stems

For a bargain Abaxo on ebay Easton EA70 including delivery 25 dollars.

I picked up a new Zipp 145 for 150 dollars recently, just need to be patient and occasionally bargains appear.

• Advertisement

jefferson- getting something on eBay was my intention, was planning on a FSA OS-99! But I need something tomorrow now!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

where you based blorg? i have a spare stem I took off my old bike to replace, it's yours if you are around south dublin and can collect tomorrow.. It's an unbranded giant one, bit long and too much rise, but might do you until you get a new one if it fits...

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭jefferson73

Great stem.

120 mm

£29.99 on crc...nope discontinued.

2094084786_331ccf8074.jpg?v=0

Thanks jefferson (and that is a very reasonable price, especially if the scales is included :D) but it's too long, I need a 110mm.

copacetic- thanks for the offer but I reckon it will be a bit long, I have 130mm, 120mm and 110mm stems around here, the last being the size I need for this bike- if worst comes I will yank the 110mm off my touring bike.

I'd have a preference not to be disrupting my other bikes too much so if I can pick up a decent stem locally in Dublin tomorrow I reckon I would do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Lilphich

I was looking on ebay for one of Ritchey wcs stems.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/New-Ritchey-WCS-4Axis-Handlebar-Stem-120mm-x-6-degrees_W0QQitemZ260263240855QQihZ016QQcategoryZ56194QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thought this was a bargain (if the price stays down). I can only find cheap ones for 120mm stems though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement