Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance companies wont quote an imported car?

Options
  • 17-07-2008 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭

My renewal is coming up shortly and shopping around for quotes on the web I have noticed that in the "assumptions" section before they get your details, a lot of companies require that your car is not imported.

I drive a BMW 320ci which was bought originally in the UK and I purchased it off that buyer here in Ireland (with full Irish reg). I got a really good quote for my age on insure.ie but then noticed this bloody stipulation - what am I to do?

The ones that don't have this stipulation wont quote me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

call them up, most companies wont quote an imported car online but should do over the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you have a Irish reg there shouldn't be a problem. People import cars all the time, that's how they get here in the first place.
    Maybe you'd better ring them? Ring the major ones first to see what they say.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

Having an Irish reg is irrelevant, the car is still an import and this may have an effect on the cost of parts.

While you may not be able to get a quote online most companies will still quote if you ring them though there maybe a slightly higher charge than for the standard irish version.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I thought that it was generally Japanese imports they had a problem with?

When I was looking to buy in the UK, I rang to get a quote, and they asked if it was an import. I said it would be an import from the UK, and they said that was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Yes the UK car will be fine, it's with heavily modified Japanese imported cars that there's problems with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This is easy....

Don't tell them your looking for a quote, tell them you already own the car then they will quote you....

Quinn Direct done it with me years ago, I rang looking for a quote for an sti ra I was about to buy and they would not quote me and told me as I had already suggested I was going to buy it they would not insure me if I bought it....

If you own the car they have to quote, if your just thinking about it they can refuse...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Grand so, I'll ring a few places in the morning. QD gave me a whopping 100 euro off my last premium but a few minutes on bestquote.ie gave me 600 off :D I know who I'll be renewing with.

EDIT: ^ Funny enough when I rang and told them what bestquote offered me, the lady simply refused to match anything saying they don't do that. They clearly do, since a mate of mine had them bending over backwards to better other quotes he got the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Ring up the insurance companies, you shouldn't have a problem because it is an english car. It is the japanese imports they don't want to insure!

Advertisement