Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbs sticky?

Options
  • 17-07-2008 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

I have definitely caught the bug. Did my first longish (for me) spin last night, up the hill past the Hell Fire club, out towards Glencree and left up the Sally Gap, past Lough Dan. I clocked it at around 76km door to door. My main goal was to try out the Sally Gap (Luggala?) as I'd read somewhere this was nearly as tough a climb as Slieve Maan. Is this true? I realise Slieve Maan is usually tackled well into the W200, so legs will be hurting. I also find myself wondering if the Sally Gap climb is harder in the other direction, i.e. heading back in towards Kippure.

The tips I've gotten on here helped a lot. I find standing to climb the steeper stretches really helps, literally gets me over the hump when my legs feel ready to give out. I'm suffering a bit today, bit of a headache, but am dying to get back out there- I have the fervour of the newly converted :D

Anyway, I was about to post and ask for recommendations for other good climbs in the Dublin Wicklow area, but then did a search on here and found a fair few threads asking the same, with varying degrees of response.

Soooo...I'm wondering, would it be possible to have a sticky (mods?) of favourite climbs, along the lines of:

Climb name

Link to Google Maps/MapMyRide or similar for climb

Difficulty in each direction (a guesstimate or comparative)

Gradient (if known)

Tips/local knowledge

What do folks here reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I like the idea.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

+1

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I like, but it should be in the Wiki and added to the Cycling Wiki/FAQ sticky- it got the the point here once where half the front page was stickies.

Lukester- are you heading out with us on Saturday for the Boards 125/200? If you did that route last night you would be well up for the 125. 0730 at UCD, Clonskeagh entrance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

blorg wrote: »
    I like, but it should be in the Wiki and added to the Cycling Wiki/FAQ sticky- it got the the point here once where half the front page was stickies.

Sounds good, I was ignorant of the Wiki, though now that I look at it I realise I've seen it before. I guess that's the only thing about the Wiki- folks have to remember to add stuff to it. With a thread, each time it gets bumped people see it and are sparked into inspired activity ;).

Anyway, when I get a bit of time I'll have a stab at adding stuff and see if anyone else can be goaded into doing the same. I guess the logical place to add it is under routes?
    blorg wrote: »
    Lukester- are you heading out with us on Saturday for the Boards 125/200? If you did that route last night you would be well up for the 125. 0730 at UCD, Clonskeagh entrance!

Hmm, sounds tempting, I'd actually be keen to try the 200, but I may not be able to clear the whole day- may have to consult the executive domestic committee. I also have a niggling pain in my left calf after the other night's spin, probably just need to work it off with some exertion :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

lukester wrote: »
    but I may not be able to clear the whole day- may have to consult the executive domestic committee.

You don't have to tell the truth :) "Honey, I'm just heading out for an early morning spin, I'll be back in a few hours"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

it's often easier to apologise afterwards than ask permission in advance.

Raam wrote: »
    You don't have to tell the truth :) "Honey, I'm just heading out for an early morning spin, I'll be back in a few hours"

I've already used that gambit several times unfortunately. She automatically doubles my stated times these days :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

niceonetom wrote: »
    it's often easier to apologise afterwards than ask permission in advance.

Or just do what I do. Blame it on another guy. "Sorry about that, but X bonked/crashed/punctured".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I've already used that gambit several times unfortunately. She automatically doubles my stated times these days :D

well then, you know what to do to solve that one... halve your stated times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Sounds good, I was ignorant of the Wiki, though now that I look at it I realise I've seen it before. I guess that's the only thing about the Wiki- folks have to remember to add stuff to it. With a thread, each time it gets bumped people see it and are sparked into inspired activity ;).

Anyway, when I get a bit of time I'll have a stab at adding stuff and see if anyone else can be goaded into doing the same. I guess the logical place to add it is under routes?

Sounds good. You could create an article for each route and then link to them from the Routes page. This way we can have a elevation map and a google map of the route with comments etc. People could put their times on the particular route pages as well.

The main index could be a table with link to the route, and distance and elevation on it.

I must record a GPS of the Taylors to 3Rock and chuck it up. All you Edge GPS people must have lots of climbs recorded as well. What's the best way of extracting a nice elevation profile image?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Verb wrote: »
    What's the best way of extracting a nice elevation profile image?
    Sporttracks is good for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Maybe include a link to an S & M site too? Seems appropriate.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

el tonto wrote: »
    Or just do what I do. Blame it on another guy. "Sorry about that, but X bonked/crashed/punctured".

That will be me! I'll probably be going for the hat-trick as well!

Raam wrote: »
    well then, you know what to do to solve that one... halve your stated times :)
    Cunning, that should work at least a couple of times :D

I made a start at this, just a table on the Wiki with a sample list, with name, distance, elevation and description of the climb.

Next step would be to come up with a full list and the names for some of them e.g. what do you call the climb up Stocking Lane from Mt Venus to Cruagh Rd?

Each of the climbs has an internal Wiki link, so this would be the place to flesh out info on each, i.e. Google Maps link, etc. I've added a link and sample comments for the first one.. this would be the place to add elevation images, other comments, GPS smartness, etc

Anyone care to add names/details of climbs, either directly to the list or stick them here and I'll add them?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I don't know if any of you are familiar with this website but Climbbybike.com feature 29 climbs in Ireland with profiles and distances as well as loads of climbs throughout Europe.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

added what I call old sand road climb, powerscourt waterfall to glencree.
    feel free to edit if I've gotten anything wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

Some of the gradients of those climbs on the wiki have got to be wrong!

Hermy wrote: »
    I don't know if any of you are familiar with this website but Climbbybike.com feature 29 climbs in Ireland with profiles and distances as well as loads of climbs throughout Europe.

Have seen that site before, nice list of European climbs, but they only have a few Dublin/Wicklow climbs, and don't know if it gives the flexibility of the Wiki, where users can freely edit info?
    Some of the gradients of those climbs on the wiki have got to be wrong!

Just added sample entries to start with, have cleared them all to zero, if anyone wants to edit/add info :)
    copacetic wrote: »
    added what I call old sand road climb, powerscourt waterfall to glencree.
    feel free to edit if I've gotten anything wrong..

Sweet! Fancy adding a Google maps link here?

Advertisement