Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed n00b MTB rear wheel question

Options
  • 17-07-2008 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭

Right, that title has enough buzz words to intrigue most of you.

I have a possibly daft question which has me flummoxed. I have an old mountain bike. I’d like to make it a fixed gear. I’ve resigned myself to the idea that I need a new rear wheel.

Afaik I have your normal 26” rear wheel, ie, its diameter is 22”.
    If I order a fixed hub off the net there, will they build it into a wheel that I need if I ask them? As in, does the hub that you buy have any baring on the wheel it gets built into? Is it as simple as me just ordering that hub and wheel tonight? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

As long as the hub and rim have the same number of spoke-holes then you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Daveskig

ensure that you purchase the correct width hub.

does the frame have horizontal dropoouts so that you can tension the chain correctly? you can fit chain tensioners if necessary but it's not ideal.

this site it famous amongst us fixies and has tons of useful info. http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed/index.html

this site/group has loads of images (even videos) and discussions on on/off-road fixed bikes; http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2204895523

i wish you luck with the build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Oh I've read all about it. This one thing was just annoying my head.
    I know nothing about wheels. Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Daveskig

That's an interesting statement "know nothing about wheels". One could say, everything else on a bike is determined by whether gears/fixed are installed.

fixed hubs are usually 120mm wide. That impact the frame. The chaniring and sprockets need to be well aligned. the chain tension needs to be right - dropout type. Many omit rear brake. Obviously gearing is critical and where you want to ride dictates. The seating and bars my end up slightly different positions from geared set-up. So, you should start with the wheel, then build the rest.

A serious tip.....Please be careful when cleaning/adjusting chain on fixed wheel bikes. All this dragging cloths along the chain to clean or worse, holding a cloth and turning the chain..... is LETHAL. If your fingers get dragged into the teeth..... say no more

Don't be put off by noted above. Fixed wheels bikes are a lot of fun to ride. Good luch with the project.

Advertisement