Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to UTV - help!

Options
  • 17-07-2008 6:15pm

I'm considering moving to 3mb wireless with UTV since (A) it's cheaper than my current 2mb wireless with Eircom and (B) It may be increased to 7.6mb in September. Want to keep my line rental with Eircom.

Will I be able to use my current Eircom Netopia 2247NWG wireless router with UTV and thereby get a month's free internet? I rang up and was told to check if it was "locked"?

Is there anything else I should know about UTV? Did some searches and saw something about DNS problems?

How should I go about changing over? I'd be grateful for any feedback or help. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭inmate2

Hi,Id have to say been with utv for about 2 years now on there quicksilver account and haven't had a problem [ apart from 3mb line speed].

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭leche solara

I have been with UTV for about 3 years and have 3Mb connection getting about 2.65 which is about as good as can be expected and paying €23.99 per month. Only problem with them is getting them to pass on price reductions. They offer them to new customers but existing customers have to opt for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

been with two weeks. Getting ~2.6 with them fairly consistently. One problem at start with line being only on a 1mb connection. Took a week to sort ( they use eircom as an excuse a lot). Great for certain downloading once manually set up static ip, port forwarded and DNS servers which I could never do with previous provider (fixed wireless crowd).

Overall would recommend (so far anyhow).

higster wrote: »
    Great for certain downloading once manually set up static ip,
    Yeah what's the advantage of purchasing a fixed ip?

Yeah what's the advantage of purchasing a fixed ip?

Not a purchased one (would not pay for it). Its kinds software version on router (not an expert by any means). See portforward.com, just followed instructions & works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭theone

I've had them for the last few years meself,the only thing i wouldn't recommend is staying with eircom for the line rental,I had a nice time being batted forwards and backwards between them.I'd switch the line rental over to utv, you'll still get an eircom engineer but at least they can't refuse to help as they did in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Switched from Eircom to UTVip dialup/phone (including line rental) 2-3 years ago; much prefer UTV. A few brief/minor problems, but their helpline seems to be manned by people who know something about internet connection. Until recently, they were very knowledgeable Irish people. It sounds as if it's bowed to economics now and relocated to India or somewhere, but it's still miles better than Eircom.

I haven't experienced UTV blaming Eircom for something they shouldn't. Phone line problems are Eircom's fault, though reported to UTV. I believe them that they tell Eircom straight away. It's all they can do; it's Eircom's domain after that.
    I reported a dead line last week (it tends to happen in rainy weather) and Eircom rang 5 days later, asking what problem I'm having (too late as usual, the line having recovered!).

Eircoma-sorry-Eircom insisted for years that I could get broadband (when I asked from which exchange, they didn't know and said they'd find out & ring back; I'm still waiting 2 or 3 years later). UTV's never tried to make claims like that to me.

I'm getting broadband (from a mast) any day now; can't wait as this dialup's at 9.6 kbps, 7.2 sometimes (when the line's not too noisy even for that!). But I'm keeping the UTV dialup bundle as a standby (and the free offpeak calls to the UK are perfect in my case)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I rang them a few weeks ago and got through to someone in Belfast. I know they've a few foreigners working there but they haven't relocated to india!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

If anyone is switiching to UTV PM and we can do the refer a friend thing so we both get free digital photo frames (€125) Not bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Conor108 wrote: »
    If anyone is switiching to UTV PM and we can do the refer a friend thing so we both get free digital photo frames (€125) Not bad :)
    PM sent !!

Anyone know whether the fixed IP cost from UTV is once off or per month ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Don't know abot the fixed IP cost am afraid, but they do have a nice deal on unlimited bandwith usage...an extra €6 a month and they don't cap your usage at all! If you're a torrent merchent it's a good deal.

Conor108 wrote: »

Do you have to take both the phone and broadband to qualify for the photo frame?

Do you have to take both the phone and broadband to qualify for the photo frame?

Yes, I just checked the flyer they posted out, you have to sign up to a broadband bundle (i.e.: broadband and phone).

PM me anybody if you are signing up :)

Sconsey wrote: »
    Don't know abot the fixed IP cost am afraid, but they do have a nice deal on unlimited bandwith usage...an extra €6 a month and they don't cap your usage at all! If you're a torrent merchent it's a good deal.

Static ip address is monthly cost (madness, and I just don't see the advantage).

Unlimited download is most defo worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

No problems with UTV. On a just about capable 1MB line for over a year now.
    Again, PM if you're going to sign up for the photo frame deaj.
    I posted in Bargain Alerts too - hadn't heard about it till tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Has anyone noticed a slowdown with UTV speeds recently if you're using a bittorent client? My speeds in general (not just downloads) seem to have gone through the floor. Using a 2MB line btw, on the old charge of 20.99, just gotta love the way they reward loyal customers :rolleyes: . That would be my only gripe with them though, that and my crappy speeds of late.

No problems with speed of torrents, I ran one last night and got 200Kb+ for the length of the download. Surfing has been a little hit and miss lately speed-wise.

I am on 2Mb line by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Sconsey wrote: »
    No problems with speed of torrents, I ran one last night and got 200Kb+ for the length of the download. Surfing has been a little hit and miss lately speed-wise.

I am on 2Mb line by the way.

weird that, added a torrent for ubuntu to test my speeds. Stayed at 6Kbs for the first 10 min (haven't gone over that in the last 2 days), then all speeds shot up! Paused the ubuntu torrent but the rest stayed up, still low but 10 times over what they've been :confused:
    Seems to be very random speeds at the moment.

Advertisement