Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elementary programming course

Options
  • 17-07-2008 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience with a good elementary online programming course, ideally in Java, but C, VB or even Pascal might do. The idea is to get do exercises to get the basics in declaring variables, loops, conditional statements, program sequence etc and be able to write 30-40 line programs.

Failing the online route are there any courses in the Dublin area that do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

TBH, you are better off with a book. Read through it and use the examples in the book.

Look for any of the Sams Publishing books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Dietel and Dietels C++ How to program was a good book.

Developmentor used to have some good online leassons. Looks like they still do. It used to be Don Box's company but not sure if he is still at the head. Did a training course with them before, company I worked for brought them over and gave the whole place the course, and it honestly was one of the best courses I've done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    TBH, you are better off with a book. Read through it and use the examples in the book.

Yep I can second this and it is how I started. Really Java and C++ are very similar. I would suggest learning the basics of C++ first, and then learning Java will be a breeze.

Kayos is write about the Dietel book being pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

charlesD wrote: »
    Yep I can second this and it is how I started. Really Java and C++ are very similar.

They aren't similar at all. I think you may be referring to C#.

The bottom line is it doesn't matter what language you start with, once you have mastered one then to move to another is pretty easy. Of course learning how to write a program and how to actually program are two different things.

It boils down to what you plan to do and your target demographic. Pascal AFAIR was written to teach programming.

Java. http://www.freejavaguide.com/corejava.htm
    JavaScript* http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp

* A scripting language but you can write Firefox plugins in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

Hobbes wrote: »
    They aren't similar at all. I think you may be referring to C#.

No I was talking about c++. They of course have many differences, but the underlying concepts are very similar.

Advertisement