Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reg. check

Options
  • 17-07-2008 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

just spotted a car online, the reg is 02D77***, would this be likely to be an import?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

snowman707 wrote: »
    just spotted a car online, the reg is 02D77***, would this be likely to be an import?

Why would you think it's an import from the reg?! The reg could be anything, you can't just guess from high reg plate numbers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Same As

Its very hard to judge whether a car is an import unless u have the exact figure for sales in that region in one year,and even at that you could be ruling out hundreds of cars imported and registered during that year.

If you want to follow it up seriously though you can run the plate through cars ireland dot ie, there is a charge though.

Normally if you ask the seller whether or not it has been imported they are obliged to tell you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Same As wrote: »
    Its very hard to judge whether a car is an import unless u have the exact figure for sales in that region in one year,and even at that you could be ruling out hundreds of cars imported and registered during that year.

If you want to follow it up seriously though you can run the plate through cars ireland dot ie, there is a charge though.

Normally if you ask the seller whether or not it has been imported they are obliged to tell you!

Thanks for that ,

As I spotted it , at 6.30 pm after business hours, ........to morrow morning I leave home at 5.00 am but could drop in to see the car during the day. Today i waited on hold for 15 minutes for a saleman to speak k to me on the phone, when he eventually came on, he hadn't the info I required & promised to ring back in 5 minutes. That was 2.20 pm .. still awaiting his call.

No problem at all...

Lol, Typical Salesmen!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Was it a Jap car?

The shape of the plate is a giveaway.

The other thing to look for is most Irish cars have the garage advertising on a sticker on the window or on the plate surround.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Pass the car by, take a pic, post the pic here. We'll tell you if it's an import fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

AudiChris wrote: »
    Pass the car by, take a pic, post the pic here. We'll tell you if it's an import fairly quickly.

spot on, if there's an internet link, put it up and someone here should be able tell you or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

snowman707 wrote: »

I know that O2D8****** onwards are defo imports

Some useless info maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

If it's a Jap Import you should be able to see the speedometer in through the window if no salesman is about! Should read in KPH rather than MPH.

Also, it's not unknown for owners of Jap imports to change their back bumper in order to make it look like a normal car, rather than having the dead giveaway square reg plate. A previous owner of my car has done this. But it's pretty rare that someone would be arsed doing something like that.

Moanin wrote: »
    I know that O2D8****** onwards are defo imports

Some useless info maybe?

That could be helpful,but the car could have been imported during the 2002 registration year and could have any registration number!

If a picture were to be linked it would be fairly easy to spot the import. As i said,asking the dealer whether or not it has been imported is always a good option,they are obliged by law to tell you as its a material fact about the car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Same As wrote: »
    That could be helpful,but the car could have been imported during the 2002 registration year and could have any registration number!

True. If it has been imported for the last 6 years though is it really an issue?

The vehicle registration cert will have the date of first registered in Ireland, which if different to first registered would indicate an import.

The 02D's are at over 85,000 anyway, with the top end being imports post 02. It's possible, but look for the other signs too.

Thanks for all replies,

Called around to look at the car this pm, Irish ok . low price , noticed some paint on the windscreen washer bottle & the mounting for the headlight was superglued,
    asked if it ever got a 'tip' & how many owners were on the log book
    got a gruff reply that he never bothered looking at the log book there could have 1 reg. owner & 5 wreckless drivers, and he had no idea of the car's history before it came in.

I made my excuses & left.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

good call!! plenty of used cars out there at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I had a 02D778xx that was imported and registered in Aug 03 by myself so I'm guessing all 02D77xxx would be imports. What kind of car was is it BTW? Could be my old machine!

veetwin wrote: »
    I had a 02D778xx that was imported and registered in Aug 03 by myself so I'm guessing all 02D77xxx would be imports. What kind of car was is it BTW? Could be my old machine!

Mazda 6 diesel

Advertisement