Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christining gift

Options
  • 17-07-2008 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

apologies if in wrong forum but i thought that the parents here would know, what is a standard gift to give on a baby's christining day? do people give gifts or money, and if money roughly how much? anyone got any unusual ideas for gifts other than silver frames, tooth holders (!) and the like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

How about a pendant with the baby's name in Ogham script? Or if you are concerned for the environment, something like an acre of rainforrest.

I always understood that if one got new baby a gift, then there was no need to give a christening gift???

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Vouchers or cash is handy when you've a new kid and a lot of stuff to buy. As per amount, it depends on your circumstances and your relation to the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Do not give money for a Christening gift, it is very tacky. If you have already given a birth gift, another gift is not necessary.

SarahMc wrote: »
    Do not give money for a Christening gift, it is very tacky. If you have already given a birth gift, another gift is not necessary.

I didn't at all consider it tacky to get money for our son's Christening. I'd prefer money than another teddy to add to the pile to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I always give a birth gift and a christening gift. (If I have been invited to the christening of course.)

It depends on my relationship with the people to how much I would give as a gift.

Most people, Just bought an outfit or 2 for my last fella at his christening. For closer friends and family it was vouchers.

On another note, I was at a christening last Sunday, Champagne reception, Free Bar and Buffet...!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Yes i would prefer vouchers as you can use them for when you need themmY SON GOT LOADS OF CLOTHES THAT HE PROBABLY WONT WERA AS SOME ARE TO SMALL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

one gift we got for our dd that I thought was nice and different was a set of coins in a presentation box for the year of her birth - the central bank do 'em. Also tbh I'd usually give a gift of money for christening - probably have already bought some clothes for birth. I know my DD got some nice gifts of money from some of her relations and we set up an account for her - I'm sure she'll sppreciate a little nest egg when she is 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

I never thought that receiving money was tacky and id say €50 sounds about right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

thanks everyone but it looks quite divided as to what to do, yes i got them a rather expensive gift when the baby was born, but we are invited to the christing and ive heard other people saying you have to give a christing gift, think it'll have to be the few quid, ive left it to late to sort anything else!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Id definately give something at the christening even if youd given a pressie for the new birth anyhows, itd be rude not to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

nesf wrote: »
    I didn't at all consider it tacky to get money for our son's Christening. I'd prefer money than another teddy to add to the pile to be honest.

Tis sad that the wedding idea of cash as presents has creeped into Christenings. Traditonally cash was never ever given as a Christening gift.

SarahMc wrote: »
    Tis sad that the wedding idea of cash as presents has creeped into Christenings. Traditonally cash was never ever given as a Christening gift.

*shrugs*

To each their own I suppose. Personally I couldn't care less about what people give and what form it's in, it's the thought that counts etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I gave my godson's mum money for a savings account in his name when he was born and on his birthdays and Christmases until he was old enough to actually realise what a gift was. I don't see the point in giving a two-year-old a present when - to use a cliché - they'll probably have more interest in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

I got my boyfriend's niece a voucher for her first pair of shoes for her christening, it went down very well and is something not many people think of! Got it for €40 in Clarkes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

apologies if in wrong forum but i thought that the parents here would know, what is a standard gift to give on a baby's christining day? do people give gifts or money, and if money roughly how much? anyone got any unusual ideas for gifts other than silver frames, tooth holders (!) and the like?
    The best christening gift i ever recieved was a voucher for a family portrait. It was very thoughtful, i had lots of clothes, picture frames and vouchers but this one stuck out.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 briancummins

I bought a great christening present online recently from a company called kupix. They engrave crystals with an image of your choice. I had one done of the baby and it was really impressive! They also sell LED bases to display them. You just go onto their site, choose your crystal, add any inscription, upload your image and it arrives in the post. They use pay pal so it is very safe and you can call them anytime to discuss your present if you want anything different. I got images engraved for my sisters birthday and my parents anniversary.Good value too. www.kupix.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

I always give the photography voucher. They can use it for the baby or a family portrait and it always is very well received. And not bank breaking either. One major international brand does a nice 3 photo sitting for a little as €70 framed and all.

Advertisement