Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neanderthals!

Options
  • 17-07-2008 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

Last week I read Jean Auel's "Clan of the Cave Bear" and I LOVED it! I read 2 of the sequels but they didn't really match up. I'm on a quest to find more neanderthal-based novels now, can anyone recommend any?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

William Golding (of Lord of the Flies fame) wrote a book involving Neanderthals called (if I remember correctly!), The Inheritors. Pretty good.

Jean Auel is...ok. The plot and storyline is excellent, but she lacks talent as regards her writing skills, and characterisation. I think the whole series could have been much better done as the idea was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

"Sex among the cavepeople" is how I believe Ms. Auel's work is referred to by a character in Stephen King's "Bag of Bones".

I've never actually read her myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Haha, that's true.:) Methinks she was trying to compensate for her lack of writing talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

It's true that the sequels are more about sex and romance, but Clan of the Cave Bear itself isn't, it is very gritty and I really recommend it to anyone. Thanks for the suggestion Jeremiah, I will try that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Hi
    I've started to read the clan of the cave bear today. Shall I continue? is it worth the read. Have bought the Mammoth Hunters too and one other of the books. It's a pity they're not great!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Stephen Baxter has a small series of books written about Mammoths!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

starflake wrote: »
    Hi
    I've started to read the clan of the cave bear today. Shall I continue? is it worth the read. Have bought the Mammoth Hunters too and one other of the books. It's a pity they're not great!

I absolutely love Clan of the Cave bear, I have read it several times since then and bought the dvd. The sequels are not so great in my opinion, but definitely carry on with Clan of the Cave bear.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Based on a scifi parallel world scenario, there is Robert Sawyer's Neanderthal Parallax Series. Basic premise is an earth where evolution took a slightly different turn.

Advertisement