Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Predict the Premiership 08-09

• 17-07-2008 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭

Yep its another competition we can all enter for the Premiership.

Basically you just predict the scores for each match during each game week.

And yes there is boards.ie min-league code is 97439.

http://www.predictthepremiership.com/

Who will win? 28 votes

Arsenal
    0%
    Chelsea
    21%
    JPAOPENROADleninbenjaminsitoutEvil_ClownDolph Starbeam 6 votes
    Liverpool
    42%
    KulganThanx 4 The FishV9VillainKoldmada999growlereirebhoyStickyMcGintyBubs101heyjudeCHD 12 votes
    Manchester United
    35%
    zAbbolooderDr_MaSoNlikeacodredzerdrogMementoMoriRastaRedQualityrosboywcarey1975 10 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Liverpool
    Chelsea have it wrapped up anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Yep, i've a feeling it could be Chelsea's year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Its United's for the taking yet again. Chelsea aren't any stronger than last year. If anything they're weaker, and I'm sceptical as to whether Scolari will be able to go the whole way.

Liverpool
    Man United will fail this year.

How many seasons have I heard that before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Same order as last year with Man Utd to win again, Spurs or Portsmouth to do well early on but fail again to break the top four.

Liverpool
    Its gona be...

Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Manyoo
    Arsenal
    Spurs
    Pompey

CHD wrote: »
    Its gona be...

Chelsea
    Liverpool

Ahahahaha amazing.

Liverpool
    DSB wrote: »
    Ahahahaha amazing.
    your meant to go mad and explain how United are the greatest eva

your meant to go mad and explain how United are the greatest eva

I don't support United. I don't even care who wins the Premiership that much. But I really can't see past Man United for the league and Liverpool breaking into the top 2, is still some way off, if it ever happens. There'll probably be more of a battle for 3rd place between Liverpool and Arsenal though. Although, with Wenger you'd just never know what he has up his sleeve again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Its Utd's. My prediction is Villa in the top four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

i'll stick me neck out and do a brady on it-should be between manu and chelski, manu to shade it again, but it's all down to injuries. i'd really like to see spurs lasting all season. i don't know much about hull or stoke but i can see fulham in all sorts of trouble. my 2cents!

Liverpool
    Chelsea and Man Utd were seperated by one game. Its too close too call. Arsenal wont challenge and Liverpool will do there usual 4th place trick.Everton, Spurs, Pompey, City, Villa, and Blackburn all fighting for 5th and 6th will make this a great season.Roll on August

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Its gona be...

Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Manyoo
    Arsenal
    Spurs
    Pompey

ahahahahahah

gold

Chelsea and Man Utd were seperated by one game.

I know. But United should grow in stature while Chelsea will have been hit hard by Mourinho finally taking another job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Depends whether Ronaldo, Lampard, Drogba are still around and who this mystery man is who Fergie has bid for.

Hold your horses!

Its Utd's. My prediction is Villa in the top four.

im gonna really stick me neck out and say we'll finish second on goal difference

6th for Villa again. Theres nothing to suggest there has been a huge progression, while Tottenham will be more of a danger this year.

Liverpool
    I know. But United should grow in stature while Chelsea will have been hit hard by Mourinho finally taking another job.
    You think Chelsea will suffer because Mourinho has another job now????????????

Yes. Watch how many Chelsea players play at Inter by the end of next season.

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    i lol'd

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

top four to be in the exact same order as last year &

5th Villa
    6th Spurs
    7th Everton\Portsmouth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Liverpool
    I think Chelsea will win it this year but I expect it to be extremely close between Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool.

Think Arsenal will really struggle. Haven't seen them buy anybody I'd consider particularly great yet they have already lost Hleb and Flamini, 2 key elements next year. Don't see Adebayor pulling out all of the stops again this season, that was his only good one I've seen him have so he'd need a second one to convince me. Their keeper is shocking so unless they get Lloris they are in trouble in that area to. Man City or Spurs to join Pool, Man Utd and Chelsea.

Also, Stoke to survive comfortably enough. They've been mid table championship for a while now and they have been building a solid team in that time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Chelsea
    i expect United to waltz it. hands down the best squad, they'll only get better this season as Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson will contribute a lot more than they did last year. not too mention the mouth watering prospect of Berbatov adding the icing to their cake.

On Chelsea: I think Scolari is a bit over rated and imo having never managed a European club before it'll take more time for him to get a handle on things than he'll have available to him. I think Chelsea may even fail to launch a full on title challenge because of this.

On Liverpool. meh, nothing so far to suggest they have progressed further. I expect them to have the same problems this as they did last, lack of penetration on the wings and a failure to split open defences. Then again a couple of inspired signings could change things, but so far from the paper talk i can't see this happening.

Arsenal: i really don't know. I was one of the rare few last season who predicted them to launch a title challenge but i'm really struggling to call it either way this season. I think they are only a couple of signings away from it, they have much greater strength in depth than people realise, those kids Wenger has amassed over recent years are only getting better. I expect to see Bendtner, Walcott, Song and Denilson contributing a lot more this season and i think Vela and Nasri will make an impact as well although i'm not as confident saying this as i haven't seen as much of them. whether they'll be good enough to launch a title challenge I dont know, but I think they'll be battling for second spot with Chelsea.

so to sum the top 4: United to win by a healthy margin. Arsenal and Chelsea to duke it out for second with Liverpool popping their heads in now and again.

the rest:

can't see past Everton and Portsmouth for 5th and 6th. Tottenham are ever much the work in progress. perhaps pulling an early on attack like City last season, but ultimately i think they still have too many weakness.

City this season; I'd like to see them d well, but I just can't. I think it will take time for Hughes to impose himself on a squad that imo is contrary to his style and preferences. but he has proven himself a very good manager, so perhaps i'll have them down as me dark horses.

other mentions: Sunderland to get relegated, Jones is a massive loss and all the evidence imo points to Keane failing to make any inroads into the transfer market. Bolton to find themselves in the top half again, just have a good feeling about Megson and the work he's done. And finally Newcastle to have another turbulent season as Keegan struggles to add to their squad.

You definitely forgot Villa in that dark horse category.

spurs wont finish in the top 8

Chelsea
    You definitely forgot Villa in that dark horse category.

heh, you're right. hadn't even thought about them when i was writing that post.

I'd still expect Portsmouth and Everton to come in ahead of them though. I think the Barry saga will have taken the wind out of their sails for a bit until everything settles down a few months in. It's certainly threatened the dynamic of the squad at least.

not really confident making any of these statements though yet. I think i'll give it a few more weeks before i lay on the money ;)

heh, you're right. hadn't even thought about them when i was writing that post.

I'd still expect Portsmouth and Everton to come in ahead of them though.

I don't get the Portsmouth obsession to be honest. What players do they have that are really massively impressive. The money they spent on Crouch could have been put to much better use. He'll probably do well enough for them but it still wasn't really value for money at all. I don't think they've any stand out players and they only perform averagely as a unit. They'll be around 9th or 10th I'd say. They're not a poor side, but aren't good enough to put any impressive long run of form together.

Helix wrote: »
    spurs wont finish in the top 8

Strongly disagree. They'll get 5th or 6th, but I imagine 5th place will be a large distance from 4th this season

• Advertisement

Strongly disagree. They'll get 5th or 6th, but I imagine 5th place will be a large distance from 4th this season

no chance

they can sign all the talented midfielders in the world, but they still have the worst defence in the league

dunno about that DSB (portsomuth)

off the top of my head:

James

G.Johnson--S.Cambell--S.Distan

S.Muntari--Diarra--Kranjcar

Defoe---Crouch

yeah two gaps but im no Pompey fan plus they have Diop, Kanu, Utaka etc

Chelsea
    Helix wrote: »
    they can sign all the talented midfielders in the world, but they still have the worst defence in the league

I agree with this. They can't rely on Woodgate and King the entire season, and their existing cover is poor. they need at least one good CB before the window is over.

dunno about that DSB (portsomuth)

off the top of my head:

James

G.Johnson--S.Cambell--S.Distan

S.Muntari--Diarra--Kranjcar

Defoe---Crouch

yeah two gaps but im no Pompey fan plus they have Diop, Kanu, Utaka etc

Nothing there strikes me as THAT impressive other than James and Distin. Most top 10 sides have a centre back better than Campbell and Distin, a fullback better than Johnson, a centre mid better than Diarra and at least 1 striker better than Defoe and Crouch. They aren't a poor side by any means. But they've no stand out players and their collection of above average players has no shown no signs of gelling together as a unit to really sustain any challenge higher than just above midtable.

id really like if Villa had Defoe, James, G.Johnson, Diarra or maybe even Kranjcar and Distan i guess (although I like Villa;s CB's when Davies is back fit)

id really like if Villa had Defoe, James, G.Johnson, Diarra or maybe even Kranjcar and Distan i guess (although I like Villa;s CB's when Davies is back fit)

Yep. They've players that would improve our squad for definite. Doesn't mean we don't have an Agbonlahor who is superior to Defoe, and a Barry and a Sidwell superior to Diarra, a Young superior to Kranjcar and a Laursen who is superior to Distin. Plus, a manager who is better at getting the best out of the side. Portsmouth and Blackburn will remain this sort of side for a while I'd say. They'll always have a few good players like. But thats it.

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    :rolleyes:

Oh please do give me your pearls of wisdom that are so insightful they only need the rollyeyes.

Chelsea

ya wha?

Liverpool
    ya wha?
    you heard.

It depends. If United get Berbatov then we'll be even stronger BUT I dont like that Pique is gone. If Neville returns to fitness then we should be ok, if he struggles then we;re very thin at the back in terms of coping if Rio or Vida get injured.

It also depends on how Ronaldo handles being hated by EVERYONE (even United fans) while being somewhere he doesnt wanna be. If he's professional and gives it his all instead of sulking then with potentially:

Berbatov
    --Tevez--Rooney--Ronaldo--

We have an amazing attacking unit as well as the hopeful development of Anderson and Nani.

The other HUGE factor is how United react to Queiroz leaving. Im gutted about this because his influence on the style of play (especially the tight defensive unit and interchangability of attack) was there for all to see. Whoever comes in HAS to do well tbh.

History has shown 3 in a row to be very difficult but this United team is good enough to do it as long as the focus and work ethic is there.

Chelsea will be stronger. It depends how Bosingwa and Declan fit in but they'll be typical Chelsea and will keep winning. It depends how scolaris style fits the prem.

Liverpool will challenge but I still feel their overall squad lacks the amount of quality required to sustain a challenge throughout the year (which is the only way to win the Prem nowayds.) It depends who they sign in the coming weeks but I still feel that for at least one more season they have a better chance in Europe. However, if they make some big signings over the coming weeks that could all change. At the very least if they are to challenge they cant lose any of: Gerrard, Torres, Agger, Mascherano....for any length of time.

Arsenal....hmmmmmm they've lost Flamini (who IMO was as important as Fabregas and part of the reason why fabregas improved so much last season), Hleb and possibly Adebayor. They've signed Nasri. i always find Arsenal the least predictable of the 4. They'll either capitulate or they'll reemerge strong. i dont expect them to stay at the level of last year. The return of eduardo (please God) could and should galvanise them

As for the rest. It looks like Randy lerner has finally taken the finger out and given O'neill a proper transfer budget. i expect a really good season from them. Sidwell is an excellent buy especially if they hang onto barry and their front 3 is young and quick and IMO will only get better.

Spurs, the 2 wide men signed (dos Santos and Modric) indicate to me that Ramos is now signing the players to suit his system rather than working with what he has. I expect a much more consistent outing from them and their season may hinge on how well the singings adapt.

Everton...could be a suprise top 4 finish in store for them this year, have a feeling.

I expect pompey to challenge for top 6.

City should also be more consistent under Sparky which means that y have the traditional (Sky) "Top 4" of MUFC, CFC, LFC and l'Arse and then fighting for 6th there is Spurs, Villa, Everton, City, Pompey and I expect someone (maybe West ham or Newcastle) to come outta nowehre into contention. Thats gonna be exciting.

I fully expect both Stoke and Hull to go down, and probably west Brom but Fulham could be dark horses.

Overall i see it being very hard to call but Ill go with:

1. United
    2. Chelsea
    3. Liverpool
    4. Arsenal
    5. Everton
    6. Villa
    7. City
    8. Pompey

Everyone else

18. West Brom
    19. Stoke
    20. Hull

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    Chelsea will be stronger. It depends how Bosingwa and Declan fit in but they'll be typical Chelsea and will keep winning. It depends how scolaris style fits the prem.

this i don't understand. nothing in the systems he has used previously will work in the Prem, they were all designed for a much more tactical game and slower paced. the space he had to work with will no longer be there, i think he'll struggle to dissect some of the more compact and pressing teams in the Prem. After all remember how badly disorganised Portugal were at the back? that was the second successive tournament where they had basically been exposed by set pieces. I don't share peoples optimism for them.

Liverpool
    Chelsea will either win the league or be a close second.I could manage them and do that. United and Chelsea are too good.

this i don't understand. nothing in the systems he has used previously will work in the Prem, they were all designed for a much more tactical game and slower paced. the space he had to work with will no longer be there, i think he'll struggle to dissect some of the more compact and pressing teams in the Prem. After all remember how badly disorganised Portugal were at the back? that was the second successive tournament where they had basically been exposed by set pieces. I don't share peoples optimism for them.

The players he has are too good not to at least push on with a challenge for me. I just cant envisage them being anywhere outside the top 2 for a couple of years

The players he has are too good not to at least push on with a challenge for me. I just cant envisage them being anywhere outside the top 2 for a couple of years

I think they're most peoples number 2 like. But United are a class act.

Liverpool
    As are Chelsea.Theres hardly between the two teams

As are Chelsea.Theres hardly between the two teams

If Chelsea lose Lampard or Drogba, either of them, then there is loads. Ferguson has everything at Man United planned so that they'll be equipped every year for every year he is there. The past instability at Chelsea will prove the deciding factor. They're going to have to change their team around again, and adapt to a new style. If Chelsea had no instability last season they'd probably have won the league.

Chelsea

talented players is never enough. look at Barca this season. on paper they should at least have been mounting a challenge.

don't be fooled by Grants near success, this was largely due to him adhering to the systems and organisation brought in by Mourinho. Scolari is unlikely to do so in my book and that's why i think they might struggle.

Liverpool
    United cant score unless its ronaldo knocking them in.They havn't got a goal-scoring striker. Whats Fergies plan for when Ronaldo is out injured?

Drogba can be replaced and Lampard wouldn't be that big a loss (yes i said it!)

Theres nothing between the teams, give it up!

United cant score unless its ronaldo knocking them in.They havn't got a goal-scoring striker. Whats Fergies plan for when Ronaldo is out injured?

Drogba can be replaced and Lampard wouldn't be that big a loss (yes i said it!)

Theres nothing between the teams, give it up!

United are about to sign a goal-scoring striker. And both Drogba and Lampard would be huge losses. They were the linchpins behind Chelsea's success. And their loss of form coincided with Chelsea's.

Liverpool
    No, no it didnt.

again, :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement