Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Predict the Premiership 08-09

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Liverpool
    In fairness though, you can only work, adn try and succeed, with the league that you are in.

The Portuguese league is pretty naff, but most people rated Mourinho on the basis of a cup competition win. Scolari is in the same boat.

In terms of the leagues he's won, they mightn't be Premiership quality. However, that does not say that he is not a Premiership quality manager. Sure Fergie came from the Scottish league, and Wenger from the Japenese. Go figure.
    Well said, someone with sense finally....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The Portuguese league is pretty naff, but most people rated Mourinho on the basis of a cup competition win. Scolari is in the same boat.

However, that does not say that he is not a Premiership quality manager. Sure Fergie came from the Scottish league, and Wenger from the Japenese. Go figure.

It was a bit more than that to be honest RE: Mourinho. Everyone could see he was a tactical genius with the way Porto played. That was obvious to see, and he had the tactical prowess to get far in a cup competition and win it. Scolari only has one way to play...Attacking and with flair. At the moment, I don't think he can do that with the current squad.

Also, judging by the way the Chelsea hierarchy have ditched Grant who only had one season, and then sacking their most successful manager in their history = Clowns. So if Scolari is under pressure to win, and if he does not in his first season...what happens then? They won't give him a chance. Bunch of ****ing jokes. And besides, I never once said he won't be a success. I said he went to London purely for financial reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

cheesedude wrote: »
    I said he went to London purely for financial reasons.

As opposed to every other EPL manager that does it out of the goodness of their heart :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

As opposed to every other EPL manager that does it out of the goodness of their heart :confused:

Haha, there are other reasons for joining a club, than financial reasons and the good of your heart. Maslow's hierarchy and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Liverpool
    In all fairness, questioning Scolari's managerial record is ridiculous. He has done everything in South America, won a World Cup and has managed a European based team in Portugal. Fair enough, he lacks managerial experience in Europe and England but does that really make such a difference? It's not as if he hasn't played and beaten team who use the same system as the teams in the Premiership, England for instance. People really should be giving him the respect he has deserved and earned. Of the potential candidates, only Lippi was more qualified and he looked lost the last time he managed a club that wasn't Juve

Liverpool
    The real problem here is peoples hatred of Chelsea.

Cheesedude, your saying Scolari isnt that good a manager, his teams play one way and hes only there for the money. So your basically saying Chelsea are just arseing around hiring the 1st person they can and have no clue what there at.He hasnt managed a club in europe before and wont know what hes up against.

He's been in European football for 5 years now.He has a very good record in management.IMO he did a good job at Portugal and will do a great job with Chelsea.

Stop saying Scolari isnt a good manager just because you dont like Chelsea.

CHD wrote: »
    The real problem here is peoples hatred of Chelsea.

Cheesedude, your saying Scolari isnt that good a manager, his teams play one way and hes only there for the money. So your basically saying Chelsea are just arseing around hiring the 1st person they can and have no clue what there at.He hasnt managed a club in europe before and wont know what hes up against.

He's been in European football for 5 years now.He has a very good record in management.IMO he did a good job at Portugal and will do a great job with Chelsea.

Stop saying Scolari isnt a good manager just because you dont like Chelsea.

I want you to quote me on this. I NEVER SAID SCOLARI WILL NOT MAKE IT. I said STOP BEING SO SURE OF WHAT CHELSEA WILL AND WILL NOT WIN because the truth of the matter is, you don't have a clue how well they will do this season. One thing I am sure of, Chelsea will not play that fast, attractive, attacking football with the current squad which is probably why they are desperately trying for Robinho and Kaka...now that would make a difference to how they play.

Liverpool
    Im 100% sure Chelsea will go the distance.I said they have it wrapped up joking.You decided to take that serious despite me saying i wasn't.Whatever your into.....

Im 100% sure Chelsea will go the distance.I said they have it wrapped up joking.You decided to take that serious despite me saying i wasn't.Whatever your into.....

If you're 100% sure Chelsea will go the distance, then how the **** do you expect me to take you seriously when in your next line you say you were joking when you said they have it wrapped up...?!

Liverpool
    I expect them to be in contention in every competition like they have been for the last 4 years.

You are taking me too seriously by the looks of it :pac:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Manchester Utd
    Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Arsenal

In that order. Obviously its hard to say until you know who everyone signs but thats the way I think it will end up at this stage.

Tusky wrote: »
    Manchester Utd
    Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Arsenal

In that order. Obviously its hard to say until you know who everyone signs but thats the way I think it will end up at this stage.

Probably not too far wrong there. I wouldn't be surprised to see Arsenal just nick 3rd though. Its always hard to know just what you've got with them. Wenger wouldn't send a squad in there unless he thought they were upto it. Everyone thought they were short last season but Wenger clearly had some future stars planned.

DSB wrote: »
    Probably not too far wrong there. I wouldn't be surprised to see Arsenal just nick 3rd though. Its always hard to know just what you've got with them. Wenger wouldn't send a squad in there unless he thought they were upto it. Everyone thought they were short last season but Wenger clearly had some future stars planned.

Losing Flamini, Hleb & possibly Adebayor is a pretty big deal though. A lot will depend on how quickly Nasri settles, if Rosicky & Van Persie can stay fit and who else he signs. Im sure Arsenal fans are also hoping that Walcott will finally realize his potential.

Losing Flamini, Hleb & possibly Adebayor is a pretty big deal though. A lot will depend on how quickly Nasri settles, if Rosicky & Van Persie can stay fit and who else he signs. Im sure Arsenal fans are also hoping that Walcott will finally realize his potential.

I'm sure Wenger has Nasri lined up to be just as effective. Again, I dunno exactly Wenger's plans, but he is one of those managers who I trust has it all planned out. I might end up proved completely wrong, but him and Fergie just always seem to have it worked out. Such is the stability of having a manager at the club for so long.

Liverpool
    So if he didn't think they were up to it he would pull out?

They lost Flamini and Hleb so far.They could start strong but can't see them go the whole season in top form. I think they will scrape 4th

So if he didn't think they were up to it he would pull out?

No. I imagine he'd be quicker to strengthen the squad if he felt that way. Not necessarily with huge name big money transfers, but with the kind of transfer he has always been renowned for.

Liverpool
    Hasn't really got any of them.He has signed Ramsay and has Vela coming in and Nasri. Still think they will struggle at some stage

• Advertisement

Hasn't really got any of them.He has signed Ramsay and has Vela coming in and Nasri. Still think they will struggle at some stage

Well I don't think they'll be firing on all cylinders like last season but I don't think they're any weaker than Liverpool. Liverpool are yet to strengthen significantly this season. Keane and Barry may be signed, and will both bring something new to the the table, but neither of those players are the ones that are gonna make huge differences. They're both a class below the player that you'd see Man United and Chelsea sign. So I'd say Liverpool will improve but not by huge amounts and Liverpool and Arsenal will be close enough the whole way through.

Liverpool
    I think Liverpool' weaknesses wont be as weak this season if that makes any sense. Don't think they will be dropping points as much as last year.

Probably will be close between them but can't see them challenging for the title either

Well I don't think they'll be firing on all cylinders like last season but I don't think they're any weaker than Liverpool. Liverpool are yet to strengthen significantly this season. Keane and Barry may be signed, and will both bring something new to the the table, but neither of those players are the ones that are gonna make huge differences. They're both a class below the player that you'd see Man United and Chelsea sign. So I'd say Liverpool will improve but not by huge amounts and Liverpool and Arsenal will be close enough the whole way through.

Barry is a class below Carrick & Hargreaves ? Keane a class below Anelka, Rooney & Tevez ? Funny, he outscores them all!

He may not be as exciting to watch or as talented, but Keane is one of the most effective strikers in the league.

Liverpool
    While Keane and Barry are top players they won't win Liverpool the league.

Barry is a class below Carrick & Hargreaves ? Keane a class below Anelka, Rooney & Tevez ? Funny, he outscores them all!

He may not be as exciting to watch or as talented, but Keane is one of the most effective strikers in the league.

I was more referring to the Chelsea centre mids that have been signed, the likes of Essien, Ballack and Deco. You are right that Barry is in the same class as Carrick and Hargreaves.

As for Keane, there is no way that he is in the same class as Rooney and Tevez. He has scored well for Tottenham indeed. But he just isn't the same standard of player. Rooney isn't an amazing finisher by any means but offers so much more than that. As does Tevez.

This was my point in a nutshell. They're better players but they aren't going to turn Liverpool into a much better team than they already were.

• Advertisement

I didnt say they would. If you look back a few posts, I predicted Liverpool to come 3rd.

Liverpool
    Sorry but what were you trying to say then?

Advertisement