Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Giant Man' to be stuck in the Liffey

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

"The bloke in the soak" perhaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I remember posting in a thread ages ago that we should get a kind of Colossus straddling Dublin Bay. I now realise that it was a silly suggestion.
    I had that exact same idea years ago. Only my colossus would have giant hoop earings that were ferris wheels. Classy like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

SetantaL wrote: »
    "The bloke in the soak" perhaps

lol....:D

"The Mick in the Sick":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Quite cool. The only problem I Have with it, is that it doesn't mean anything.
    The stautue of Liberty for example, is steeped in symbolism.

Not that things always have to have meaning, but it could have something to do with Dublin, rather than being some random man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

It looks like the love child of the Statue of Liberty and the Eiffel Tower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

looks cool.

this would be cooler...

how do you embed an image??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

I don't really think now is the time to be throwing money away....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

noblestee wrote: »
    looks cool.

this would be cooler...

That would be awesome!!!

Do...do...do do do.. de de de de de de de de.. do do do (Iron Man)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Blisterman wrote: »
    Quite cool. The only problem I Have with it, is that it doesn't mean anything.
    The stautue of Liberty for example, is steeped in symbolism.

Not that things always have to have meaning, but it could have something to do with Dublin, rather than being some random man.
    See Hrududu's post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I see more wasted money on BS contemporary arts projects that Dublin doesn't need. Akin to the spire, it's pointless (well it does have a point, but.......nevermind!) and those "groovy" lcd displays of people walking WOW, they make me think about the transience of NOTHING NOTHING AT ALL. Do you know what I'm going to see when it's erected? NOTHING. I'm going to bow my head in shame at our idiotic government who want to spend money on another stupid endeavor.

.............wow! Thank feck that's out of my system! Sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

darkman2 wrote: »
    I consider myself just to the right of center......actually.

But...you object to everything. You're like their Messiah!
    humanji wrote: »
    I remember posting in a thread ages ago that we should get a kind of Colossus straddling Dublin Bay.
    Hrududu wrote: »
    I had that exact same idea years ago. Only my colossus would have giant hoop earings that were ferris wheels. Classy like.

I would totally back this.

Actually, usually I'm against public art, purely on the grounds that most of it is rubbish but I actually think this idea is kinda cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

How about building some nice skyscrapers for a change. Dublin has a pathetic skyline.

The government are trying to give us a skyline, but are trying to give us the cheapest one possible by using all these "structures". If they were to build tall buildings, it would also prevent urban sprawl, which is still out of control!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Bambi wrote: »
    looks like hes fiddling with himself...the **** on the banks

The stiffy in the Liffey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭COH

'The giant pile of ****e'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The Stiffy in the Liffey

Best so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

noblestee wrote: »
    looks cool.

this would be cooler...

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=59714&d=1216372153

Now that would look good and I'd almost go to Dublin to see it. Almost. If it wasn't for those deadly ad signs that went up recently that is.

Damn signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Another pointless monument that won't be cleaned as much as it should be and has no significance to our country or its history. As someone else said, the builders need their dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

syklops wrote: »
    The stiffey in the liffey?
    The gay in the bay?
    The jock by the dock?

Could they not do something else with 1.6 million quid? We had 12 billion. We spent millions giving asylum seekers cars, housing people who dont want to work but do want flat screen tv's.

It does not rhyme but the skiver in the river would be most appropriate.

They're takin our jaaawbz, takin our jawbz, etc etc...

1.6 million, in terms of government expenditure really isn't that much, although I agree the timing possibly isn't the greatest. I think it's kinda cool, like people have said you'd have to see it to really know..
    Also - the spire is an awesome monument/sculpture, it's simple, elegant, and timeless - and doesn't look tacky.

F*ck the builders, and their dole - no sympathy there, it was pretty bloody obvious that the industry was unsustainable..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

I can't understand the amount of slating the spire gets. I think it was dirt cheap at 5million. Tourists seem to like it and it is a landmark and something different. I don't know what else people would want to see in place where the spire is located? Type "spire " and "dublin " into google images and you see how much it is photographed etc and i would say it has added many times it cost to the tourist value of Dublin. It's also tallest sculpture in world and has won several awards and critical acclaim from designers/architects etc. These sort of sculptures dont do a huge amount for me but they do take the blandness away from streets/quays and generate interest whether positive or negative. Council/governments spend billions on things like street furniture, landscaping ,cleaning streets, art galleries etc and they have a positive if slightly hard to value impact on a city/street. Im sure the type of person who objects to "the spire" would have objected to "christ the redeemer " in Rio and think the government spending millions on art is a waste of money and resources (sometimes it is i accept).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Didn't we have a load of follies built during the famine?

Now we're building the Stiffy in the Liffey when things are turning bad again.

Busy work for builders I reckon.

/hoards food. Famine's a comin'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ths spire is bland, i thnk this far more dynamic.

why did they have to put it next to the only old residential on the docks, beside 2 other scultptures like the memorial to lives lost at sea and right next to the sculptural bridge.

people like statue, beside it perceived lack of meaning,nobody likes where it placed.

somebody in an objection.submission to compared it to christ the redeemer and the liberty statue but there both in far more open spaces.

i don't think the money would be spent elsewhere on the hospitals or the sick,it just doesn't come out of the same budget.

this just a PR exercise to justify deliberate dereliction and speculation and fancy apartments, bad development and American colonialism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Urgh, what a f*cking eye-sore.
    Why not make a giant robot over the M50 while we're at it? Or hang some giant hoopy earrings out of the spire. :|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Why are they building this exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

The money they are spending is, in relative terms, tiny. What would that money do elsewhere? It would teach immigrant children english for... a whole two or three days. That cost 126 million last year. Makes this tiny expenditure seem well just that... tiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

lol looks stupid but cool.

edit: to the above poster, they could give it to me :D

dsmythy wrote: »
    The money they are spending is, in relative terms, tiny. What would that money do elsewhere? It would teach immigrant children english for... a whole two or three days. That cost 126 million last year. Makes this tiny expenditure seem well just that... tiny.

1.6 million could give 10 underresourced schools 160,000 each to improve things or a myriad of other more more sensible, practical things. If we we're supposed to be in a recession, it's a bit silly to go building a giant wireframe model that means nothing.

It's our punishment for voting 'no' to lisbon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

It's our punishment for voting 'no' to lisbon :(
    i tought the recession was our punishment :confused::confused::confused:

taidghbaby wrote: »
    i tought the recession was our punishment :confused::confused::confused:
    I know, they're really angry. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Davidius wrote: »
    Why are they building this exactly?

How else do you suggest they build it?

• Advertisement

Earthhorse wrote: »
    How else do you suggest they build it?

Approximately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Joe Cool wrote: »
    Any clever nicknames for it yet?

The Spwire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Property Pro

The Million Euro Man...

...so who's taking the piss??????

Property Pro
    http://daftproperty.blogspot.com/2008/07/million-euro-man-in-liffey-whos-taking.html

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

"The Cock in the Dock"? Maybe they should put a Garda hat on it. Then it could be called the "Filth in the Silt". Is it near the IFC? Maybe "the Wanker Beside the Bankers"?

Advertisement