Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Walsh DNG estate agents closed

Options
  • 17-07-2008 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Sign of the times really , I suppose we are very over represented in the estate agent department it seems like there's nothing else on our main st.
    Hopefully a prosperous and useful business will move into this prime spot, maybe its just because they're so few businesses in town ,that it seems like a lot of new shops don't last long but I suppose it probably isn't any different across the country

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I assume you are talking about Tramore? The town overrun with estate agents? About fecking time.

Anyway, there have been some new businesses creeping into Tramore so I dont think its diying out business wise. With supermarkets looking for spots (Tesco, Lidl, Aldi, Dunness(?)) and other shops like Baloo, Redlane, Redhaus, Boots, that poker/gambling place at Strand Electric and the new one where the florist was - business in Tramore seems to be doing well enough to keep it open.

Though saying that, tourism has been poor in Tramore this year but thats mainly attriubted to the bad weather and prices of food/accommodation. Very few places do any worth while offers. Some places in Tramore are excellent so if there that bit more expensive I think people dont mind spending the cash there. I think with recission, more people will holiday in Ireland and tourism will pickup probably resulting in additional businesses opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

I reckon Ireland is to expensive or at least thats what people think to holiday here, and its as cheap to do the package or whatever.
    Anyway I feel for 90% of its residents would be better off if they're was no Irish
    summer trade in Tramore as we'd have the place to ourselves exactly the way we look forward to the first of September.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Lawerence and MacDonald actually did the opposite and closed their office in Waterford and moved everything to Tramore...

Definitely a sign of the times, even though Estate agents wont actually admit it, the property market is in freefall and they are still trying to prop it up with their claims etc..

I'm in Dublin and some of the porkies being told when you ring them about a property is comical.. always good for a laugh.. :D

Anyway, back on topic, Tramore has been seriously devoid of a decent range of shops etc and its about time some have started to come in and start doing some decent business here.. Long may it last..

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The problem with Tramore is that it's always been a commuter town so there's never really going to be much demand for new businesses as long as the majority of people are spending most of their time in Waterford City. It's up to the County Council to implement development strategies to help attract business into the town which they now seem to be doing, but unfortunately much of the development is in the upper end of town

Advertisement