Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd Windows 2003 TCP/IP Problem...

Options
  • 17-07-2008 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I've a strange problem that I just can't fix. I turn my quandry to the might BoardsBrain ;)

I have a host box running Windows 2003 ("HOST"). I also have a Load-Balancer ("POOL") which Round Robins packets to 3 identical servers ("WEBSERVER 1/2/3"). So, from a high-level, I want HOST to connect to WEBSERVER 1/2/3 to view a webpage. The way this is done is to put in a HTTP request to POOL's IP address.

But it just times out!

After some packet sniffing, I think what's happening is this:
    1. HOST sends TCP SYN packet to POOL.
    2. POOL forwards packet to 1 of the the 3 WEBSERVERS
    3. 1 of the 3 WEBSERVERS replies with ACK packet
    4. ACK returns to HOST, but with a different IP / MAC address and so it's disregarded
    5. HOST times out
    6. I lose all will to live
    Strangely enough, I have an identical setup working perfectly with the exception of the fact that HOST's OS is Windows 2000. I'm guessing this might be an feature in Windows 2003's security settings (e.g. to prevent DoS/DDoS attacks or similar). But I don't seem to be able to set exceptions anywhere.

Does anyone have any ideas? My only lead might be between points 3 & 4: Perhaps WEBSERVER 1/2/3 isn't replying via POOL, but instead via it's LAN connection. Even in this event, I'm not sure how to resolve it (possibly with static routes? Seems messy...)

Any opinions or questions are, as always, welcome!

Thanks!

Advertisement