Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike Customisation

Options
  • 17-07-2008 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey - if I'm buying a standard bike in a lbs, what are the chances of getting customisation on some elements without upping the whole hog. E.g. if I was happy with the weight of Giant SCR4 and didn't want carbon components but did want to upgrade to a 105 groupset, will the shop do this or will it be down to me to get the extra components myself? Is it worthwhile doing this on such an entry level bike?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Ummm, what carbon components are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think he means the carbon fork?

If you want to swap the groupset out for 105 I imagine you will be charged the cost of the 105 groupset plus the installation cost.

You might wanna check if its cheaper just to move up the range and get an SCR 2.0 with tiagra and the benefit of a carbon fork.

A 105 groupset is 580 euro for a triple, available for 380 off CRC. Of course, if you order it from them then you still have to pay someone to fit it and sell on the components from your SCR 4.0

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

IMO there are two options.
    1 Buy a better specced bike to start with
    or
    2 Build one yourself with exactly what you want on it.

Upgrading bikes normally happens when you start progressing as a cyclist and want better kit to suit your ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

No. The shop will not do this, or rather they will but will charge you for the new parts and not credit you for the bits they take off. If you want to go that path build yourself from scratch.

In my opinion it is absolutely NOT worth upgrading an entry level bike. Say the SCR costs you 500. The 105 groupset is 400. You still have rubbish wheels, heavy forks, no carbon bits at all. So say you get some Look pedals for 50 and maybe some bog standard Askiums or Fulcrum 7's for another 150. Well then congrats you have a heavy, low end (but decent frame) with middle of the road components and basic wheels.

Or for the same money (currently 942 sterling - I am watching the site waiting for a deal on the Stealth Pro TT bike) you could get the Planet X Pro Carbon SL, Nice Carbon frame, fairly light wheels (lighter than most wheels up to the 300 euro bracket), Dura Ace gears, Cheapo but functional calipers, decent FSA Crankset (not top of the range, but currently what Cancellara is using in the tour - he is not into the carbon cranks at all), and Planet X Saddle, Post, Stem, Bars, all much lighter and better quality than the stuff on the Giant. The Focus Cayo on Wiggle is similar.

The point being that upgrading a low end bike is a false economy. You end up paying the same money for a mediocre bike that you would pay for a very nice bike if you took the financial pain up front !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

It can be done, but as said will get expensive... iirc, Cadex upgraded his groupset when he bought the bike and paid slightly less than it would have cost had he done it himself, but that was on a decent bike to begin with. Better just biting the bullet and going for a bike with 105 on it already

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If its the forks, no one's going to give you 105 in exchange for carbon forks.

Advertisement