Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2005 toyota avensis problem:(

• 17-07-2008 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

hi,hopefully somebody can help.i was driving my car up until about 9pm last night.when i got out everything was turned off as in radio as thats all i use.i dont use air con or any of that.anyway i went to my car at 6pm this evening and it wouldnt start but i was getting ignition lights any ideas????
    it was only serviced 1000kms ago also.i checked to see was the lights working and they were but not very strong...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

low battery. jump start it, take it for a good high revs drive and you'll be fine. make sure all interior lights are off and boot is properly closed, reassess situation tomorrow. bring to Toyota dealer if under warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dubman25

battery shouldnt of gone dead though as nothing was on and it was running ok last night.warranty is up also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Damien360

Battery could be dead depending on driving habit. Wife used her car to do a one mile radius journey every day. Shop-school-her Mams house-home. Because it never really got charged fully on a long journey the battery ran down after 3 years.

Happened on a 98 Mitsubishi Colt and 02 Ford Focus. Expecting same on 07 Avensis in the future !

Your supplying Toyota may do a free battery test to get to the root of it as a goodwill gesture. they have the equipment for warranty purposes.
    There may be other causes such as a faulty alternator or slipping belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Battery is dead i'd say.

These new "maintenance free" batteries have an annoying habit of failing prematurely and without warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

If the car has an alarm, any chance the alarm was going off repeatedly ?

does the central locking lock from the remote button?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Battery I'd say, see if the electric windows are struggling when you try to use them to verify this.

Could be boot left open, light on, battery drained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'm not being smart, but is there petrol/diesel in it?

the starter motor would still turn, and lack of fuel wouldn't cause the headlights to go dim unless the OP tried and tried for ages to start the car and ran the battery down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the starter motor would still turn, and lack of fuel wouldn't cause the headlights to go dim. sounds like the battery.

BUt if he was tryin to start it with the lights on, wouldn't the lights dim for a second. OP didn't say if it was turning over.
    Shocker if the battery did die over night.

Advertisement