Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking to buy my first car (Golf 1.4?)

Options
  • 17-07-2008 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Hey

I've finally gotten sick of being dependent on public transport and want to get my first car. I'm a 25 year old male living in Dublin. I've looked on carzone and have seen some 2000/1 Golf 1.4 that are in the upper part of my price range. My knowledge of running a car is zero so a few questions!

Would anyone be able to give a rough estimate of fuel costs for the golf 1.4 commuting from dublin 5 to dublin 4, 5 days a week?

I've considered the possibility of buying the car in the UK and bringing it back. I understand now that the rate is decided by the value of the car and the CO2. To be honest I dont know the variables that are require to even get a rough estimate of what sort of VRT I would be required to pay on a car such as the ones described. Anyone be able to give a ballpark figure of the associated costs with bringing back a Golf 1.4 from the UK?

I did a quote on quinndirects website and was quoted 1700. This sounds ok as I was quoted 5000, when I was 20, for a clio 1.2! Considering Im on a provisional licence with no previous driving experience, is that the market rate?

thanks!

ChRoMe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

1700 is a bit high, unless it's fully comp. When I was starting out I paid 1700 for a 1.6 golf and i was slightly higher risk demographic (younger). I'd say you might be able to get 1500 if you shop around.

Don't bother about importing, the tax would be higher on an import. The second hand market is in bad shape at the moment, so you should be able to negotiate a decent price here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If your getting one from Mainland UK your looking at factoring in about €800 for flights over, flights back, flights over, ferry back, possible hotel stays. If you can you would be better spotting one up North, that way you just have the drive up and back. For a 1.4 2000 Golf there's not going to be a whole difference getting it in the UK or here, your probably talking €500 at most of a saving, you then must factor in that it will need an NCT straight away and also road tax, these could add another grand. I'd say VRT would be something like 1200, but hard to say dependant on model, spec and mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If ur buying a Golf go for the comfortline model. (Better seats, armrest, centrol locking etc.). Golf's are hugely over priced. If u are buyin buy low mileage if possilble as the 1.4 engines are known to get a bit sh1tty later on in life.

What kinda budget have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

After the hassle 2 of my mates have had with that generation of golf's (mark IV), i personally would stay away from them. And that is what there mechanics have both said aswell, 1 of which is an ex VW mechanic. The build quality and reliability of them is nowhere like what it used to be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

The gearboxes in the 1.4 golfs are a notorious weak point... and at well over €1200 for a new one you need to consider that.

The 1.4 is also a very small engine...it has to power a big heavy shell so if you do drive it on fuel economy will be sacrificed. It would prob be just as econimic to run the 1.6 petrol golf..

With a lot of the VAG engines Air flow meters and sensors are a weak point, however many dealers do deals on new parts taking your damaged part in exchange etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I have to admit Im disapointed to hear all the negative reports of the mark 4 (but grateful for the insights!) golfs. I spoke to colleague today who used to have a 2000 model and said that he had problems with, he had figured that he was just unlucky.

It being my first car I know the common approach is starting with a smaller 1.2 clio/polo/starlet whatever. To be honest, I want the solid feeling of something a bit bigger (I had liked the golf as it seemed to be a good middle ground). I'd be willing to go up to about 5 grand if I found something that I really liked (in regards to the insurance I think stopping at about 1.4 is good).

So with all this negative press with the golfs, what are my options now that you have an idea of what im after!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

ChRoMe wrote: »
    I have to admit Im disapointed to hear all the negative reports of the mark 4 (but grateful for the insights!) golfs. I spoke to colleague today who used to have a 2000 model and said that he had problems with, he had figured that he was just unlucky.

It being my first car I know the common approach is starting with a smaller 1.2 clio/polo/starlet whatever. To be honest, I want the solid feeling of something a bit bigger (I had liked the golf as it seemed to be a good middle ground). I'd be willing to go up to about 5 grand if I found something that I really liked (in regards to the insurance I think stopping at about 1.4 is good).

So with all this negative press with the golfs, what are my options now that you have an idea of what im after!

1.4 civic...i had one as my first car and it never missed a beat!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Canis_major

Id stay away from the 1.4 vw engine, they tend to burn oil and get a bit delicate as they age. the gearbox in the 1.6 has a bad habit of falling to bits without warning and i think it might be common to both engines. to be honest the TDI in the mark 4 is pretty rock solid by comparison, 250k on me old mans one with minimal tlc and its still going strong ( aside the usual wear and tear items)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

^
    The TDi probably wouldnt be much more to insure either, seen as your 25.
    More tax though, €560 per year, or €158 for 3 months.

And for a '00-'01 your probably looking at in and around the same price to buy as well, albeit one with higher miles as most of them do.

Or if you are sticking to the 1.4 petrol, then the Ford Focus might be an option, suppose to be a good car and its the same class as a Golf, size wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

yeah the ford focus is something that I have been looking at aswell. I've been throwing a load of different details into the quinn direct site to get some sort of idea of how the insurance changes. I was amazed to see that to insure me on a 1998 bmw 316 1.6 was only 400 euro more than the golf!

Edited:on the other end of the spectrum The peugeot 306 looks ok too, insurance is reasonable and there are some 2001 models going for around 3k? anyone any experiences with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

a word of advice... i wouldnt really go on inernet quotes.. best bet is to ring around the various companies and try and get them to match or better quotes from other companies...

Usually they ask have you gotten a quote already...just say ya ive gotten one with xxx for €800 could you do a bit better than that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

OP not a huge fan of the 306 with a 1.4, its extremely heavy feeling. I don't know about reliability issues with them. I would say focus, civic, corrolla (the VVTI engine is good) but id only have a corrolla if you got a good deal tad boring, Or the 3door hatchback.

If you really want a golf i always say look at a seat Leon?! Same problems as the golf!
    I know the feeling of wanting a slightly bigger car for comfort and room.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

Hi. I am in the same boat, ie looking for my first car at (age=19).
    I have a budget limit of 3k, would plan only to buy through a dealer. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    If your getting one from Mainland UK your looking at factoring in about €800 for flights over, flights back, flights over, ferry back, possible hotel stays. If you can you would be better spotting one up North, that way you just have the drive up and back. For a 1.4 2000 Golf there's not going to be a whole difference getting it in the UK or here, your probably talking €500 at most of a saving, you then must factor in that it will need an NCT straight away and also road tax, these could add another grand. I'd say VRT would be something like 1200, but hard to say dependant on model, spec and mileage.
    €800? Hm, I brought a car back from the UK in a day for €350 including fuel, one way flight, one way ferry..!

Burner- wrote: »
    Hi. I am in the same boat, ie looking for my first car at (age=19).
    I have a budget limit of 3k, would plan only to buy through a dealer. Any suggestions?
    Yeah, buy private and get it checked by a mechanic! :D
    Nah fair enough, for 3k a dealer might not be a bad idea, only thing is few will give any sort of warrante with a car that cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

A mate of mine is selling his '01 1.4 black 5 door, 70k ish. I brought it home for him and it didn't miss a beat. If you think you might be interested give me a PM. It's in Cork (in Turners Cross Motors, actually- he has a connection so they are selling it for him but he's free to take it away and sell privately) but he's living in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

luder wrote: »
    The gearboxes in the 1.4 golfs are a notorious weak point... and at well over €1200 for a new one you need to consider that.

+1

Two workmates of mine had problems with their VW Golf gearboxes

Dammer wrote: »
    +1

Two workmates of mine had problems with their VW Golf gearboxes

Aye, mine likes to give trouble going into first some times... I find the gearbox in the Mk5 much better, gears closer together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Just buy a focus. Superior to a golf in every way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

So you're a new driver with little experience ? Here are some of my ideas

-- Get a small runabout car, like a ford fiesta, nissan micra or peugeot 106 for about €1000 euro. For a first car don't bother spending a fortune on it and certainly don't get a merk 4 golf. That generation of golfs are poor despite a strong image.

-- You will be doing a commute from Dublin 4 to Dublin 5 ? I don't know my Dublin geography as well as I probably should but if this doesn't involve alot of motorway driving over long distances then theres one more reason to go for a small engined car.

-- Don't bother buying from the UK for the types of cars your looking for. The government will try to get every penny out of yu for the VRT and the exchange rate of euro to sterling is very poor for sterling, thus negating the viability of importing, unless you are after an expensive car.

Bigger cars cost more to repair, especially for timing belts, tyres etc. The difference in cost for a set of tyres on my old ford fiesta and my brothers vw passat is about three times!

If you have your heart set on a Golf, and you can find a good deal on it, make sure its tyres are upto scratch and that the timing belt and nct have been done on it as recently as possible.

Also, check out the folllowing sites for some reviews and other info on cars.

http://www.parkers.co.uk

http://www.honestjohn.com

http://www.whatcar.co.uk

Good luck!

• Advertisement

pontovic wrote: »
    So you're a new driver with little experience ? Here are some of my ideas

-- Get a small runabout car, like a ford fiesta, nissan micra or peugeot 106 for about €1000 euro. For a first car don't bother spending a fortune on it and certainly don't get a merk 4 golf. That generation of golfs are poor despite a strong image.

How about a Rover with 2 years nct
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055338030
    U can tell him what it's worth too:p

Advertisement