Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Myrtle Avenue, LHR Spotting Heaven.

Options
  • 17-07-2008 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Here are my shots from the famous Myrtle Avenue, possibly the best spotting location in Europe just across from London Heathrow's 27L Runway,

Anyway on with the show!

DSCF0075.jpg

DSCF0077.jpg

DSCF0084.jpg

DSCF0072.jpg

DSCF0069.jpg

DSCF0063.jpg

DSCF0059.jpg

DSCF0058.jpg

DSCF0057_Edited.jpg

DSCF0055_Edited.jpg

DSCF0053_Edited.jpg

DSCF0052_Edidited.jpg

DSCF0038_Edited.jpg

DSCF0023_Edited.jpg

DSCF0024_Edited.jpg

Will post my Heli snaps in a little bit, hope you like!

Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Great photos. Well done.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Nice photos, I know the area well. I am sure some of the buildings around there have tyre marks on their roofs :D

As an aside, I did physics at college, I understand the concepts of flight, the shape of the wing, the different air pressure above and below creating lift.

I still have no idea how a 747 flies, it just seems wrong to me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Great photos. I'd highly recommend a room in Jureys Airport Hotel too, windows facing the main road have fantastic views of landing aircraft :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

They're great. I thought Manchester was one of the best places to spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

A small selection of the crowd of spotters that day.

_MG_0101.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

A320
    747-400
    747-400
    A320
    A320
    A330
    777-300 (love that tailkskid!)
    A300
    A310
    A321
    A340
    747-400
    747-400

Anyone contest?

Excellent photos, I must go there someday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

vulcan57 wrote: »
    A small selection of the crowd of spotters that day.

_MG_0101.jpg

Where's myself and Adrian!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Great photos

barnicles wrote: »
    Great photos

Thanks Sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

To quote the man on the Galway bay trad on the prom advert: Simply breathtaking!

Really class shots.

• Advertisement

I think the first one is great. that line of planes continues all day every day.

it must be quite a stressful place to land for a pilot, I guess as you are approaching, you are constantly waiting to be told to abort the landing because a plane hasn't cleared the runway.

(I heard Air France are worst for that btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

it must be quite a stressful place to land for a pilot

Try being a controller!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

(I heard Air France are worst for that btw)

We recently had to a go around and the pilot did confirm that an Aer France plane was too slow and had not cleared the runway.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    We recently had to a go around and the pilot did confirm that an Aer France plane was too slow and had not cleared the runway.

I'd heard from a controller that they like to do their landing checks as soon as they land, by the book.

Must be difficult doing them with a controller screaming "get off the ****ing runway" in your ear :D

I was coming round past Hatton cross station yesterday and I caught a glimpse of a concorde nose by the BA cargo hangers (There was a lorry in the way so I couldn't see the whole thing. Is this the replica that was by the entrance to the tunnel?, it looked a bit small.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Maybe they were moving it the day this picture was taken but that seems like a very odd place to have parked it. I thought they had sold off the mini-replica one from the entrance though.

Edit: clicky
    It will be displayed to the north east of the airfield which is overlooked by Heathrow's Visitor Centre.
    Seems that is where they decide to finally park it so people get a view of it as taxiing around I guess.

I went around the last one to ever fly at Filton and got to sit in the cockpit as well, impressive plane and wish there was still the chance to fly on it.

When we were there the small Concorde was in the middle of a roundabout.

I've just been around the north orbital road and G-BOAB is currently parked alongside the permieter fence by the BA Hangers (From Myrtle Avenue, go along the permieter, past Hatton Cross and follow round to your left).

Seems a strange place to park it, but it is the one that was parked alongside the taxiway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Steyr wrote: »
    Where's myself and Adrian!:pac:

You mean these two?

_MG_0091.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

cool photos. The first one with the planes lining up is great.

• Advertisement

Cheers Gekko:)

Advertisement