Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing through tiles and plasterboard...?

Options
  • 17-07-2008 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads,
    Bathroom is just tiled and now I need to start putting in the sink, mirror, toilet, shower screen etc
    The tiles are about 8mm onto both 12mm plasterboard and 12mm ply,
    Im not to worried about the ply as I can just screw straight into it, however the plasterboard may be in issue.

Ive bought an assortment of fixings to see which will work the best from spirng toggles to, hollow wall anchors to regular plasterboard plugs.

Id prefer to use the hollow wall anchors for their strength but they are really designed to go into plasterboard as they have lugs on the to grip the plasterboard so they wont rotate as you tighten, no good into tiles.
    The spring toggles will require 14mm holes into the tiles which I am not overjoyed about, the plasterboard screw in plugs will mean that I have to drill straight through the tile and just screw the plug into the plasterboard, whihc could be tricky,

The other solution is to come at it from the other side (the newly ripped out ensuite) and fix some timber sheets to the back of the plasterboard that I can screw into. This is a much bigger job than I hoped for but is probably the strongest solution.

Any recommendations/advice?

Cheers as always.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

the toilet and sink should have grounds behind them in the contrution of the wall on the first fix. I am not a great believer in toggle bolts .. Seen loose rads come up in snag lists with them

If you have no grounds for the sink then im afraid you are going to have to make holes in plaster board and put timber behind them.

Unless you have a tiled backing where you will get away with brown plugs and 5mm screws.

Is there ply everywhere?

is so just use regular screws for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Nah I only put the WBP around the bath/shower area
    The partition walls are not studs with plasterboard sheets on top, its a prefabricated sandwich board with timber exteriors and cardboard stiffners in the middle. Total pain in the ass to be honest.

I think I might have to go for the toggles, there wont be huge weight off them so hopefully its ok...

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

Have had success with Interset fixings (google Interset Cavity Fixings). Rawlplug do them, available anywhere. It's best to use the proper interset tool to fix them though, although you'll get away with a screwdriver and pliers (not ideal).

Much much better than spring toggles either way.

http://www.rawlplug.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=64&Itemid=34

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yeah I have similiar to them but they rely on two teeth that bite into the plasterboard to prevent them just rotating as you tighten, no good into tiles Im afraid...

Advertisement