Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

petrol

Options
  • 17-07-2008 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭

does anyone think a full tank of petrol lasts as long as it used to a year ago. my car seems to drink petrol. anyone else having this problem

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Its because a year ago 50 euro got you say 50 litres.

Now 50 euro gets you 40 litres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I'm not experiencing any more petrol usage than before. More money going out of my pocket alright (:rolleyes:) but due to the price increase not increase in usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Its because a year ago 50 euro got you say 50 litres.

Now 50 euro gets you 40 litres.

Did his petrol tank shrink with the increase? A full tank is a full tank regardless of how much the petrol costs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Stekelly wrote: »
    Did his petrol tank shrink with the increase? A full tank is a full tank regardless of how much the petrol costs.

Actually yes... A year ago 60 euro might fill his tank. Now if he puts 60 in he's not actually get a full tank...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Actually yes... A year ago 60 euro might fill his tank. Now if he puts 60 in he's not actually get a full tank...

So his tank shrunk?:confused:

He said a full tank. He specifically mentioned a full tank and nothing about always spending a fixed amount.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

/facepalm

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I have to drive where i have to drive, and petrol being more exspensive (to an extent) isn't going to change that. I just put petrol in when it says it wants more. If i was to record the petrol i'd just get depressed so i don't bother:p

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

could be using E5, can give less mileage for European cars.

Stekelly wrote: »
    So his tank shrunk?:confused:

He said a full tank. He specifically mentioned nothing about always spending a fixed amount.

No literally!

Most people dont know that X amount of litres fill there tank...
    They fill it til it cant take anymore petrol. So say 60 litres at €1.00 a litre.

Therefore they think that €60 fills their tank.

A year later if petrol is €1.20 per litre and they put €60 they may still think they're getting a full tank, which they're not, hency why people think a full tank doesnt go as far as it used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I have to drive where i have to drive, and petrol being more exspensive (to an extent) isn't going to change that. I just put petrol in when it says it wants more. If i was to record the petrol i'd just get depressed so i don't bother:p

Same as myself!! Not paying any attention to the mileage on my new car....cos i know it's not very good!!! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

it costs me around 40 euros to fill up the car. its a 1.2 punto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

and how many miles does your 40 euro bring you?

How much (per litre) did your petrol cost you.

I'll tell you the mpgs but you should ideally fill the car, drive until its near empty, fully refill and use the miles travelled divided by gallons used to refill to calculate the mpgs. A punto should be doing over 40 ideally.

if i do a 100k/m or faster i use more petrol, doing around 80k/m i use less. can get between 45.7 and 52.1 depending on the speed. paying 1.32 per litre from caseys garage in rosscommon. seems to last longer than the place i use to get it from

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

And you reckon you're getting less mpgs than before?

i just seems that ever i look at the gauge it looks like it moved a small bit more than i looked the last time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Have you serviced your car in the past 12 months?

yeah got it done about two or 3 weeks ago

Advertisement