Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pure Evil

Options
  • 17-07-2008 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Was listening to the news the other day and heard about a pup who was rescued from the canal in Lucan with his paws and mouth taped so he would drown. It makes me sick to think that there are still people out there that are so cruel and stupid and still don't realise that one phone call to any of the shelters or the DSPCA would result in them coming to collect an unwanted animal. How could anybody even contemplate such an evil act???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Horrible bastards. It's disgraceful. There needs to be much stricter laws on dog neutering and control so all litters are registered.

BTW the SPCA do not come out to pick up dogs straight away, I've found them pretty useless lately and have been told to call the dog warden about a stray dog, and about a feral cat I was told to not feed her and she'd go away. Useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Tbh its not that unbelievable..look at what people do to people..

People can drop them off at shelters, there simply isnt any excuse...if its really that bad get the poor animal put to sleep, its alot less cruel..but I think thats the point, its done for kicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Pollydoodles

Yes I agree stricter laws, if that was a person that was rescued they would surely try to take fingerprints off the tape that was used! but it was only a dog! seriously it makes me angry that the law can only be applied so far when it comes to animals, over the years I have seen people brought to court for the most unbelievable cruelty an walking away with a small fine. I cannot understand how anyone can have it in their nature to be cruel to any living creature or maybe thats where the saying comes from "Heartless B.....d"

Takes a certain type of person to do something like that, I'm of the opinion that if they can do that to an animal, they can do it to a person.***

***For the record, I'm refering to acts of cruelty, for the sake of cruelty. Not hunting, or killing an animal, humanely, when necessary.

wow I never knew that hunting was humainly necessary!

• Advertisement

a lot of animal lovers don't

Was that sarcasm BTW?

are you for real?? You agree with hunting??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

how else do you suggest keeping populations under control?

Not something I am willing to get into with the likes of you. You have been here all of 17 posts and already shown yourself up.

For the record, in some cases agree that hunting needs to be done. When mixamitosis was released into the wild rabbit stocks for example.

Now polly please stop speaking to me, you really are very irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Takes a certain type of person to do something like that, I'm of the opinion that if they can do that to an animal, they can do it to a person.***
    The US military has the same idea: if you throw a puppy off a cliff, you get court-marshalled.

=-=

Polly: For the record, a shot to the head kills the fox quickly. It'll also save lamb or hen being killed slowly by the fox.

• Advertisement

for the record you replied to me and you are the sad one who's counting posts???

the_syco wrote: »
    The US military has the same idea: if you throw a puppy off a cliff, you get court-marshalled.

This is a great idea, I would imagine it would bring cases of animal cruelty down if people knew they would get properly punished. The fact people can mistreat animals and get away with it scot free is ridiculous. I most definately think you can judge a person on how they treat their animals.
    for the record you replied to me and you are the sad one who's counting posts???
    :D Poor polly, you're on a PUBILC forum, this means when you reply, you are replying to anyone who is reading or posting. And who need to count posts? It's under your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

:o Was going to post here , but I think I will wait till another time,:eek:

:D don't blame you. Seriously though, what were you gonna say?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

In general, just to agree with most of the previous posts, I have 6 rescue cats and have to deal on a daily basis with a neighbour, hell bent on trying to poison them, or waiting untill they are sitting on the dividing wall between our homes and opening his back door and throwing hot water at them. 3 of the outdoor cats were born to a stray, and it took me 2 years to coax her into the house, all the time putting out food for her ever growing kitties.The other cats are indoor as I am afraid to let them out. They are not streetwise so I believe they are safer inside with us. Having seen the way the Thread was going I decided to leave it, sorry for that, no offence was intended.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

BTW the SPCA do not come out to pick up dogs straight away, I've found them pretty useless lately and have been told to call the dog warden about a stray dog, and about a feral cat I was told to not feed her and she'd go away. Useless.

Its a nice juicy case for them to get into the media and get lots of publicity. The poor old stray down the road won't get them on national radio and in the papers. Cynical? Me? Yes!

I'll stand up now and say that I have strongly held opinions on the way they operate, due to personal experience and the experience of others I know but I won't get into it on here obviously.

Vel wrote: »
    Its a nice juicy case for them to get into the media and get lots of publicity. The poor old stray down the road won't get them on national radio and in the papers. Cynical? Me? Yes!

I'll stand up now and say that I have strongly held opinions on the way they operate, due to personal experience and the experience of others I know but I won't get into it on here obviously.
    :D Safe to say we see eye to eye on this. I'm sure they do better money wise than any other charity in Ireland, yet are the only one I have ever dealt with who have opening hours and don't operate outside these hours. If this is our national animal charity, no wonder we're doing so badly.

One charity in partic, the girls and guys work tirelessly, 24 hours a day. It's so stressful for them, their home life suffer for it etc and they dont get a penny. As far as I know SPCA workers get paid (?) and most act like they couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

One charity in partic, the girls and guys work tirelessly, 24 hours a day. It's so stressful for them, their home life suffer for it etc and they dont get a penny. As far as I know SPCA workers get paid (?) and most act like they couldn't care less.
    In fairness Helena why shouldnt people get paid if its a job that takes up the same time as any other working week? If other charities feel the need to sacrifice their own lives 24/7 then thats their perogative. Inspectors definitely get paid,how else are they meant to live? I have my issues with how much money is spent on unnecessary expenses like admin but as for staff getting paid surely you cant begrudge them that?

No I don't begrudge it at all, but when you call someone who's getting paid to do a job and they say call the dog warden. The whole reason to call a rescue is to avoid the dog going to a pound. Or when you call to say there is a pregnant feral cat and they tell you to stop feeding her so she'll go away. You have to wonder why they are getting paid. I know it's not their fault personally, but as a "company" for want of a better word, their way of working is flawed.

Money that is given to the SPCAs should be distributed between other charities who don't just keep office hours and who actually care about their jobs.

My issue isn't that they get pais, but their couldn't care less attitude. And it may not be all of them, but the few I've delt with, really couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

The thing is, I think only a few people in the SPCAs are paid - like the regional co-ordinators, and then most of the rest are volunteers.

Also - I have discovered that the local SPCAs vary hugely depending on the particular group of volunteers involved. For eg. they may not have any kind of premises or "centre" that can hold animals, and instead rely on volunteers to take in animals into their home. Some will do and some won't, some are "closed shop" and others are open to getting new people involved.

Its seems a pretty messy organisationally.

I wish someone would take it in hand. Its the best known animal charity in the country, but it seems that people have a hard time getting help from them in many cases.

• Advertisement

I think they have the funding just not to organisation to do the right things with it. Although it's easy for me to sit here and pontificate I suppose. It just seems a shame that despite lack of funds some less well known charities seem to put in a lot more effort. If we got the same effort and organisation from the SPCA we'd be doing a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

wow I never knew that hunting was humainly necessary!
    How do you think the human race survived long enough to develop farming??

Anyway this is disgraceful, people like this are a waste of oxygen. The punishment for that crime in my eyes should be to bind and gag that person, and drown them. IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

This is sick...I stop reading this type of articles, they just make me so sick. Death penalty to people caught doing this type of things, if you ask me....unfortunately I don't do laws though! :mad:

Advertisement